[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advice on running discussion board/chatroom/forum

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: berserk.jpg (95KB, 750x797px) Image search: [Google]
berserk.jpg
95KB, 750x797px
>Have a Discord server dedicated to just hanging out, chatting, casual gaming, and video syncing
>It's a good time, super comfy and moderately exclusive
>I want people to have a good time and just hang out, but I also want them to feel comfortable and make themselves at home
>I have a couple members that spout profanity and edgy "humor" out of nowhere, and I can tell it makes people uncomfortable
>I like a good edgy joke as much as the next guy, but none of these are funny, and just completely ruin the vibe for a lot of people
>We'll be in chat, playing a game and one of these guys will just jump in chat and start screaming nigger over and over
>On the other hand, I've had people leave over petty shit and knee jerk reactions to mild statements people jokingly made

How the fuck do I make a space on the internet where people can just hang out and have a good time? Every time I start to achieve this, and it gets going for a few weeks, some autist starts screaming racial slurs in voice chat and then everyone acts like a pussy and leaves...
>>
>>18400062
Why are you doing this? What is your end goal for this server? If its just to talk with people in game then make private channels in the server for mature people, and being mature also means not leaving when stuff like that happens not just the people saying it. I dont get how people get offended that hard and I feel bad for most people that act like that yelling slurs thinking its hilarious, they wont get that far in life
>>
>>18400062

if you're in charge of your server, moderate it. if you want the pussies to stay, you gotta placate them, and frankly i dont think its 'pussy' to get annoyed with someone constantly yelling 'NIGGER' over a mic. thats not remotely the same thing.
>>
>>18400062

Take a step back and consider the fact that you're genuinely concerned over the general "vibe" of your online chatroom.

Go outside, dude.
>>
>>18400071
You're right. But I thought it would get my point across. I have members that go quiet and leave chat because someone else said some obscure thing that has offended them.
>>
>>18400078

like i said, if you want the pussies to stay, you gotta placate them. if they dont like someone coming in and screaming nigger, the nyou gotta decide who is more important, those pussies or those nigger staters.
>>
>>18400076
I guess that's cool, but I'm the administrator, and we usually have a really good time, and people are drawn to it because of that specific vibe. It's a place where people actually go to make friends and hang out on the internet. Where else do you actually go to do that anymore?

Are you saying that it's just not a worthwhile endeavor in the first place?
>>
>>18400086

>Where else do you actually go to do that anymore?

Outside, in the real world. You being serious dude?
>>
>>18400062
>How the fuck do I make a space on the internet where people can just hang out and have a good time?
In a space that small, you can't actually be inclusive to everyone.
If people are causing trouble or being shitters, you need to kick them out. Failing to do that is the same as kicking out everyone who's NOT a shitter.
>>
>>18400103

thats how 4chan was born
>>
>>18400092
Okay, well I work a night shift job, and haven't made a new friend in real life in ten years. I make threads asking how to make friends in adulthood all the time, and none of that shit works.

You can make me out to be a basement dwelling loser all you want, but I do get out and I've tried. It's apparently just not in the cards for me.

Despite that sad situation, do you have any advice regarding my original topic?
>>
>>18400114
Moderate and enforce rules. Kick ppl and throw the ban hammers at them. I get that you really want the room to be chill and cool, ya know where ppl can come in and relax and feel welcome. On the other side of that some people will try and take advantage of that and go in the room stirring up a bunch of crap. With those ppl you have to become The Man dude and start kicking them out.
>>
>>18400114

>haven't made a new friend in real life in ten years.

Ok, this is your problem right here not your chatroom. Forget your chatroom, dude. You need to get a life.

>Despite that sad situation, do you have any advice regarding my original topic?

Yes, toss your computer in a fucking lake and go to a concert or something.
>>
>>18400109
Exactly.

>>18400114
>Despite that sad situation, do you have any advice regarding my original topic?
It doesn't really sound any more complicated than "you have a nice community, antisocial dipshits try and gatecrash it occasionally". If that's the case, I don't see why you don't just kick/ban them. The faster you get rid of them, the less damage they can do.
>>
>>18400146
>go to a concert or something
Yeah, that's a good way to make friends right there.
>Awkwardly stand in a crowd of drunk teens and millennials listening to shitty hipster music

I've tried making friends. It's not easy to do once you get out of college. I go to work every day and the community arts center, I get involved in my community and do stuff on a daily basis. Still haven't made any friends though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.