[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cat living in backyard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: 6532441.jpg (9KB, 280x210px) Image search: [Google]
6532441.jpg
9KB, 280x210px
There has been a cat living in my backyard (for around a month) that I have been feeding. Whenever I try to get near it, it runs away (underneath my porch).

What should I do? I'd like to take it in if possible, but I know that if it's feral it would be an arduous task. It makes eye contact with me but it just will not approach.

Would a feral cat live in my backyard this long? I haven't been feeding it proper food but I will get cat food for it tomorrow.

It seems pretty young too.
>>
>>18397097
sounds like my first gf.
>>
>>18397097
My suggestion is to just be patient! Next time you feed the kitty just sit quietly with the cat while it eats. Allow the cat to approach you if it wants to be touched!
>>
>>18397109
The problem is, it refuses to eat when I am around. Tomorrow I will buy cat food and heat it up and see if it will approach. If it doesn't approach, would it be wrong to assume it's feral?
>>
>>18397119
it wouldn't be wrong to assume that it would be feral. You said it looks pretty young so theres a chance you can gain his/her trust. Cats are smart, It should learn that you aren't a threat to them eventually.
>>
Catster . com/cat-chic/build-a-cozy-low-cost-cat-shelter-for-outdoor-cats

Also start out by feeding it with it really far away from you, and every day get a couple inches closer. It's a long process. It may already be too feral at this point. If it comes up to you don't reach out and try to pet it just let it sniff you. Let it get used to be being around you.
>>
File: DIY-Heated-Cat-Shelter.png (278KB, 480x353px) Image search: [Google]
DIY-Heated-Cat-Shelter.png
278KB, 480x353px
>>18397097
All you really have to do is get a box and put a warm/fluffy towel in it. You can cut a hole in the side so it can walk in easy. Some people put a heating pad in them and fully insulate them. For the purpose of just getting one inside, which is best, just get a box and make the bottom of it very comfortable. Then leave it close to where it's staying. Maybe pit the food inside it in a small bowl.

You'll prob need to get it seen for shots by a vet, sometimes they do them free or discounted. Also wet food is best for a cat in the long run. If you can't afford it, just balance it with as much wet food as you can afford.
>>
File: FeralOrStray_2-300x277.jpg (23KB, 300x277px) Image search: [Google]
FeralOrStray_2-300x277.jpg
23KB, 300x277px
Apparently feral cats tend to have this kind of posture. That is what this cats is like, but it makes eye contact and does not hiss if I come near, it just runs away.
>>
Alright, I am going to bed. Thanks to everyone who gave me advice.
>>
>>18397097
Yeah. U can tame it over time. Just be paitient. Maybe rub catnip on your leggs like i did. We had a cat that ran off and had kittens a bunch. Then theyvwould come around but be wild as fuck. Would slowly have to toss them treats and food and try to call them over. Takes some work but u will have a bro in no time if u feed it on the reg.

Try and make sure it sees u feed it at the same time daily. There is a theory that it sees you as its provider and will begin to trust u
>>
don't look the cat in the eyes, look slightly away or turn away. as another anon said try to let the cat eat with you being at a distance, then gradually make that distance smaller each time you feed it. eventually try to make it eat out of your hand
>>
File: IMG_9586.jpg (228KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9586.jpg
228KB, 750x1334px
Put out a box with a towel in it where it usually sits, but it seems not to want to sit inside it. It's a pretty cold day too ;__;

It's coat seems dirty to me, apparently feral cats groom themselves well. Maybe it is a stray after all? I'm going to get cat food now.
>>
File: IMG_9587.jpg (257KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9587.jpg
257KB, 750x1334px
Can anyone discern how old it is from its size?
>>
>>18399018
>>18399020
Fug that's adorable.

Won't be much help OP, but I kinda tamed a stray last year. It took a couple months before I was able to get close to it. Looking it in the eye doesn't really help, but blink slowly if you do. Being around when I fed it seemed to help
>>
Just got the cat food. When I went outside to give it to the cat, it bolted under my porch immediately. I placed the cat food inside the makeshift shelter, good idea or no?
>>
>>18399226
good idea, that's how my parents got their cat

thanks for the updates, it's cute af
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.