[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Life changing choices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

File: AIR FORCE.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
AIR FORCE.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
ITT: Life changing choices;
Colleges, careers, etc.

Anon is an 18 year old going into his senior year of high school. I'm a straight white male who completely fucked up my freshman and sophomore year of high school with a less than 3 gpa. My junior year I stayed at about a 3.5 gpa. My cumulative is currently almost at a 3 gpa. I think I can do better my senior year. Problems: I'm an adhd fucktard who can't be medicated anymore starting this past May. I'm a workaholic and have a few extracurriculars which take my time. On the plus side I didn't study much at all for the SATs except the day before the test and scored a 1410 on the 1600 scale. I plan on retaking the test and studying to see if I can make my score even better. I can't be medicated for adhd because I plan on going into the armed forces. My family can't afford to put me through college and I don't want to be in debt forever. I realize it's dangerous etc. Idc. I ride a motorcycle too. Reckless, right? Whatever. IF I make it through that, which I'm planning for, I want to go to college. I plan on being in the armed forces for 4 years so that the post 9/11 gi bill will pay for my college. First thing, I realize it's unethical and potentially dangerous, but how the hell do I self medicate for adhd. Also, my SAT scores should help my chances with colleges, so should my extra curriculars. Idrk if military service will. What should I expect as far as colleges? I want to go to school for engineering.
>>
Sounds like a fun plan! I can't answer any of your questions but >>>/k/34181866 is a military enlistment general thread on /k/ and they have a discord. great source of information.
>>
>>18396334
Thanks for the info
>>
>>18396326
take an engineering job in the military
its not dangerous unless your special ops
by the time you get out ull have some engineering experience, continue with college
grad, get a job
???
set
>>
>>18396343
Not a bad idea. I don't struggle with depression anymore, never medicated. I think it was just a phase of my teen years. I don't have a death wish, and I'm very aware of my mortality having almost lost my life countless times while riding and having been through a motorcycle crash. Even still, I don't see what makes my life more valuable than other's. I've thought about pararescue and continue to think about it. I've not made a decision yet and I've been mulling it over for months. I've been attempting to step out of my comfort zone in every way over the past years. Needles are in my top 10 biggest fears and I've donated blood 3 times over the past few months. 2 out of 3 times something has gone wrong. One time they used both arms and my blood wouldn't flow enough to make a full donation. Painful. I've been trying to face a lot of my fears. An engineering job also isn't a bad idea. What kind of colleges do you think are in my grasp with the help of SATs etc. and despite my GPA?
>>
If you go to college through a military education center, your high school grades and SAT scores won't mean dick. Literally anybody can go to the schools that are on base/post. Start while you're there, don't wait til you're out. Then all that counts when you transfer you credits is your college performance.
>>
>>18396359
I meant over the past year. I've been making myself uncomfortable over the past year in terms of my fears for the sake of being used to being uncomfortable.
>>
>>18396362
Of course I'll take classes there but I also want to go to a traditional college when I'm out. purdue and the likes.
>>
I'm also curious to know what kind of colleges you could get in to. For a college the wants your sat scores to boost their average your chances are better. I still don't know if that means just sub ivy league or a step up from community
>>
I'm glad to see something that people can actually give advice on instead of this girl didn't respond to me for two months does she like me
>>
>>18396386
No, I don't think she does haha
>>
I'm still curious to know what kind of a plan I should aim for and what colleges I could get into
>>
>>18396367
College is college. Don't know what they have now, but back in my day they had University of Maryland, Webster University, some others I can't remember and a couple of 2 year schools on post. I transferred all my credits to a school off post with no problem after service. Never took the ACT or SATs. Dicked around in high school, had a 2.8 gpa or something like that. Never mattered. Had a 4.0 GPA in college, but honestly, doubt any of my employers could care less what it was. All they care about is that degree. If you got it, you got it.
>>
>>18396398
I'm still just a dumb kid. Don't they care where you get your degree?
>>
>>18396398
Also, I have this perception that there is some kind of a clear separation in how families live in modern America. My family is the lower half, and I suppose you could say I have a sort of class consciousness. I always thought that if you got better grades and went to a better college you'd make more money and have a better life.
>>
>>18396402
Nobody has so far. Doubt anybody would be snobbish enough to look down on anyone for having a degree from a State university. That's what most people have in this country.
>>
>>18396326
I'm currently in the airforce as a f15 engine mechanic and its pretty okay. The air force is trying to recruit anyone into open general or open mechanical so if i were you I'd really think it over because you will not get a guaranteed job that you want unless you go in with a specific AFSC(job). I am financially in your shoes and i love my family so thats why i joined but luckily even with my job they are letting me go to school at the local university soon. I hope you find your answers you need but go in knowing what you want to do. I got lucky and went open mechanical wanting to be a jet mechanic.
>>
>>18396406
Think it matters more what kind of degree you have so far as money goes, not where it's from. Do you care about what class you're perceived to be in? Anyway in 'murica it's all about the money.
>>
>>18396426
Luckily I'm not picky. Anything where I can help others or learn some life skills, something where I can learn to be a bit more handy would be great. If I end up in a combat role I guess that's okay but if I end up in anything mechanical or to do with engineering that's great.
>>
>>18396402
Typically no, unless it's from a field-relevant ivy league university like lets say you were going to work at lockheed martin and your robotics degree was from MIT in which case it'll hold a bit more weight than an applicant from something like the albany university.

Outside of situations like that your degree is just a degree and your extracurricular activities, work experience, and personality are way more important.
>>
>>18396434
I'm a fake snob, as in still an asshole, just none of the money lol. I do care because I want to be in the higher earning group. I want to be able to provide for my family and have money to have fun with.
>>
>>18396436
This is making me feel way better about both my past and my future. My sister who is 10 years older than me graduated high school with above a 4.0 gpa, she is diagnosed with depression and kind of good at making other people feel bad about themselves. She and everyone else around me made me feel like it was pretty much over for me and I'm doomed to be second rate because of my past lack of achievement in high school.
>>
>>18396426
What he said about specific jobs. Don't sign on the line without having the MOS you want. They'll give you shit, but you can walk away and they know it. They tried that with me when I had no backup MOS chosen. What do you know, suddenly there was an opening in the class I wanted. Go in "open" and you'll wind up a cook or worse.
>>
>>18396451
Okay, duly noted. What do you suggest? I'm kind of handy, could stand to improve. Knowing my interest long term is in some sort of engineering, what would you suggest? Pararescue is obviously in no way related and my parents were pissed when I told them I was considering it, but I'm still thinking about that too
>>
>>18396451
Also, what was your experience in the armed forces?
>>
>>18396459
Engineering is a great field. Really can't go wrong here, lot's of types of engineering to choose from too. Can always go to Ranger school or Air Assault school or whatever the other branches equivalents are, after you're done with your initial training if you want that. Start researching what jobs are available in your chosen branch, see what rings your bell.
>>
If I were you, I'd consider joining the Air Guard instead of active duty while in community college to clean your gpa up and save money before transferring
>>
>>18396465
It's great when you're a poor kid from the sticks. I was Army. Apache aircraft mechanic. Had a youthful obsession with helicopters. Don't do anything with them now. Spent my time going between Ft Campbell and Ft Hood, plus some airbases in Germany. Not to mention a little time in Saudi back in '91. Only served 6 years, got my bonus and my degree paid for and fucked right off.
>>
>>18396507
The plan is to spend as little as possible. For the 4 years after high school I'll be active duty spending nothing. The Post 9/11 GI bill will pay for my college and I won't have to go to community college.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.