[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have serious concerns over a loved one going to a concert.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

I have serious concerns over a loved one going to a concert. How do I convince them to not?
>>
>>18392834

...I'm assuming terrorism, from the pic?

If so, stop living in fear, anon. You can get hit by a bus tomorrow. A meteor could hit the house. Whatever.

You should be focusing on living life so well that when you die, or your loved one dies, it was a life well lived.
>>
>>18392834
You don't.
>>
>>18392857
You have personal control over being hit by a bus though. You stop, look, listen. We have weapon defences that can protect us in the event of a catastrophic meteor, evacuation precautions in the event of a mid-size one, and a small one will just bounce off the roof.

However, there is very little to zero that can be controlled in attacks. We can be vigilant, but they can still slip through because we don't really know what we're looking out FOR. We can fire our weapon defences, but only after the attack has been initiated. We can evacuate, but again that would only be any use before an incident. A parallel for bouncing off the roof is irrelevant with this analogy.

A life can be well lived without putting themselves in a potentially dangerous situations that they have no control over.
>>
>>18392875
You could go to a coffee shop and a terrorist blows it up. You could go to the movies and a terrorist blows it up. Should you avoid those places because a terrorist could possibly be in there and cause an explosion that kills you?
>>
>>18392834
I absolutely hate terrorism but I do not live in fear.

I live in New York City. Sometimes you look around condensed places. 42nd Street Times Square. Grand Central. Macys on 34th. A single bomb kills 100 easy.
Those are the main targets. You know how many soft targets exist?
A Broadway show getting out. A nightclub in the meat packing district. South street seaport in the summer.
But you can't live in fear. You can take all the precautions in the world and still die.
My uncle died choking on a pizza. Seriously. And you can not prep for that.

If terrorism is your concern, the chances of that happening again are slim, especially right now with heightened security.
>>
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, The valiant never taste of death but once."
>>
>>18392875
I'd be much more worried about the aneurysm lurking deep in your brain, just waiting to explode and end your existence with no warning.
>>
>>18392875
??? the entire earth can be destroyed instantly without any possible detection. we could be dead already and it just hasn't reached us yet. how sheltered are you about space?
>>
>>18392875

You just have the illusion of control. Nothing you do can stop a car going full speed to climb to the sidewalk and kill you. Nothing you do can stop cáncer. Nothing you do can stop a meteor or a lighting, or chocking un your saliva un your sleep, or falling down the stairs and breaking your neck.
>>
>>18392877
>Going to the movies
A rookie mistake desu. Haven't been to the picture house since the Glasgow "attack".
As for the coffee shop, I hit it at opening time when there is a low body count and order to go.

These are the types of things that they never think of.

>>18392880
Avoiding busy areas has always been high on my list of sensible choices. I'm not concerned if they get me, or any of the random strangers in the country. But I can't abide by the potential that people I care about will lose out on the potential rest of their lives. Security has been high since 2001, yet people continue to die.

>>18392882
>Valiant
>Cowards
A coward would keep his head out of the crocodiles mouth at dinner time.

>>18392883
I don't give a damn about my own death desu. I'll be dead for it.

>>18392885
Instant universal death isn't such a bad concept, since we'll all be dead instantly, and I won't have time to be concerned.

>>18392890
Being aware of speeding traffic. Cancer is more and more treatable. Meteors will be seen by stargazers. Stay indoors during storms. If you begin to choke, hold your breath. Take care going downstairs and use the handrail, that's what it's there for.
>>
>>18392875

The people who died in 9/11 were going to work for the day. The people who died in the Boston Marathon were going for a run. Unless your goal is literally to live out in the middle of nowhere, where you won't be exposed to mass death, but something like tornadoes, you just can't control anything.

You want someone to stay at home all day, every day, so they can live? What's the point in living if it's just in the same house, watching TV, and watching others live their lives?

Besides, odds are the next terrorist attack will come from somewhere you're not expecting. By nature, we're reactive, instead of proactive.

Let go, anon.
>>
>>18392882
Hoo rah motherfucker
>>
>>18392912
I've never really liked those high-density places/events. I live 5 miles from the nearest town, and in a natural-disaster free country with no dangerous wildlife.

Not stay at home all the time, just have sense enough to know they can't possibly track the 100k people around them at all times, and if even one is a potential threat then those stats aren't good enough.

They hadn't even thought about which carriage to get on the train to the event, or the safest route from the event back to where they would be staying.
>>
>>18392928
>>18392904
>>18392834
>>18392875
It's okay if you see things this way I guess. But don't try and force this paranoia garbage on someone else. They're just going to get annoyed with you
>>
File: 1462430841288.png (458KB, 576x765px) Image search: [Google]
1462430841288.png
458KB, 576x765px
>>18392885
>we could be dead already and it just hasn't reached us yet.
>>
>>18392932
I don't care what they think of me so long as they survive to tell people what a cunt I am.
>>
>>18392937

you need help bro.

Look at some death statistics. terrorist attacks are very very rare.
>>
>>18392928

There is definitely logic to thinking out safe routes and such - there are crime ridden areas anywhere you go. But narrowing it to "safest carriage" and shit is stupid.

Just because you don't like high density places, and live far away, doesn't mean other people shouldn't. My mom asks my dad to carry a gun with her to the mailbox. It is irrational. They live in one of the safest places in the U.S.

Your fear is going to make your life dull, and is going to push people away from you.
>>
>>18392949
Plane crashes are very rare. But they only need to happen once. Odds of an event occurring aren't the issue, it's probability of survival.

Chances of surviving an attack get higher the longer the event is going on, but it's the "wait, what the fucks going on here" period that will get you killed.

>>18392957
Considering an increase in weaponised vehicles, a route home that avoids roadsides or includes some form of shielding is critical. I prefer to avoid trains where I can, but that's not always doable. Rear carriage is best carriage.
>>
>>18392904
>Being aware of speeding traffic. Cancer is more and more treatable.

Are you telling me that every time a car pases near by you get ready to jump of it climbs to the sidewalk? Please, your idea that you have certain "control" over random accidents is ridiculous, the control you excert in that circunstance is minimum. You aren't safer of those things than of terrorism, you only feel like you are because think you have some sort of control.

You are paranoid.
It is more reasonable to evoid crossing the street or going in a car for fear of accidents than it is to evoid crowded places for fear of terrorism.
>>
>>18392973
>Odds of an event occurring aren't the issue, it's probability of survival.

fucking stupid mentality.
>>
>>18392875
>You have personal control over being hit by a bus though. You stop, look, listen.

True story, last Friday my girlfriend was going to work down her small residential street, and she went to take a narrow, low visibility turn when she nearly collided straight in to a bus that just decided to ignore road rule and take a shortcut.

on her way back, a cop who decided he wanted to speed and go 50 down a residential nearly did the exact same thing to her.

Not much control there. She can choose another route, but that doesn't mean she won't be sideswiped randomly by a car (which has already happened to her)

>We have weapon defences that can protect us in the event of a catastrophic meteor

Wut... You've been watching too many movies.

If a meteor of big enough size comes at us: We are dead. Period.

Fuck, dude if a big enough "small" meteor hits, youlll have absolutely no warning(look up Russia 2013)

I live in California near the beach.
If the the 8.0-9.0 earthquake everyone been saying is going to hit within the next 100 years finally arrives, if I'm in the wrong spot when it hits, I will probably be dead before I know it--buried under thousands of pound of dirt, debris, and rubble (look up liquefaction). Even if I do survive, I love close enough to the shore line that everything I have and own will definitely be destroyed and or flooded out.

Alternatively, if that super volcano in Yellowstone blows, the sun across almost the entirety of the country will be blocked out and I'll either starve to death, or be choked out by ashes depending on where I happen to be at the time and the wind patterns.

Literally nothing I can do in any of those.

I can't control, if some asshat decide to bomb something.

I also can't control if some douche about decides to drive in to town and shoot it up. (Which...Elliot Rogers did... and I was supposed to be there but wasn't. One of my friends DID get shot--he lived)

Is what it is.
>>
>>18392973

I don't know what to tell you. I live in Las Vegas, probably a prime target for terrorism. I'm probably more safe on the Strip, where there's a large crowd, and more police, than I am hanging out in North Las Vegas where the crowds are more sparse but there's more person-on-person crime.

You can never be 100% safe. I'm going to leave this thread, but just leave you with the thought that this is a toxic attitude to have, and you're going to drive those you care about away from you if you keep it up. I hope your anxiety clears.
>>
>>18392834

I'm on your side here, so hear me out.

Nothing will happen because it's still recent.
>>
>>18392834

The best you can do is tell them not to go because of XYZ reason.

And if something DOES happen them, you can put your conscience at ease because you expressed concern.
>>
>>18392834
>to not
Correction:
>not to
>>
Driving in a car is more dangerous, but a factor of hundreds, than going to a concert.
Stop letting letting fear control your life. At least fear the things people actually die of.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.