[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Proof that fine arts degree is a mistake

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: madmen.jpg (63KB, 480x720px) Image search: [Google]
madmen.jpg
63KB, 480x720px
I know I'm gonna get laughed at but I don't give a shit
>I'm a Fine Arts major

American student two years into my bachelor's degree. I love art but I am increasingly convinced that I'm going to ruin my life with debt and be unable to find a job. I want to drop out of college to minimize the amount of debt I have to pay back, and start working right away. Then with a stable job I can keep doing art on the side, as a hobby.

The problem is that I mentioned this to my parents and they went insane. Like, flipped their shit, once they realized I wasn't joking. They think its the stupidest idea ever, and that I'll be nothing but a failure and a loser my whole life without that degree, and that I might as well be dead (my dad's words) if I'm stuck in a manual labor 9-5 job that I hate, like he is.
I truly believe that if I continue putting myself in debt, I'm going to end up a failure and loser anyway with a worthless degree and have to move back in with my parents to pay it off.

How can I convince them that this is a good idea? They have good intentions but just don't UNDERSTAND that college and employment is not like it used to be.

Are there any statistics or stuff I can pull up to prove to them that having a BFA is not going to make finding a job any easier, or mean that I'm going to get rich and be able to pay off my quarter-of-a-million dollar debt in ten years?
>>
Propose to them that they pay your last 2 years of student loans.

If they're unwilling then fuck them - you are absolutely right to not further indebt yourself.

A possible compromise would be to chabge your major to something more lucrative. I'm assuming you've already knocked out a lot of pre-reqs that could potentially transfer to another major

Another option would be to enlist in school overseas where tuition isn't a fucking racket like here in America
>>
>>18391757
Take some major life insurance out on your parents. They will die and you will get rich within days of their passing. Take your dad's advise and do insurance at same day
>>
>>18391782
>>18391784
I'm not really worried about what I'm going to do, I already know that I'm 99% likely going to drop out and start working regardless of whether or not they approve

I just want to convince them because I'd rather not live with the fact my parents think I'm a fuck up, and also in case I end up having to move back in anyway to help pay off the debt I have already or if I can't find a job that pays enough to live on my own (living in dorms now)
>>
Post work.

t. Hons. degree BFA alumni
>>
>>18391826

It will be easier to convince them if you have a more fleshed out plan than, "Fuck it, drop out & get a job and see what happens"

It's true that having a degree, even a BFA, makes getting gainful employment easier. Also, if you drop out (instead of seeking alternatives where you can still get a degree and avoid running up your student loans) it will mean that all that tuition $ and time you've spent for the last 2 years will all have been for nothing.

Honestly I can see why your parents are concerned. You're on the verge of fucking up big time
>>
>>18391826
It doesn't matter you need life insurance out on them . Do you know how much a funeral is. People get murdered every day . Get life insurance dad might blow himself up trying to deep fry a turkey hint hint
>>
>>18391834
Gonna assume you're asking to see if I'm shit or not. I'm not horrible, I don't struggle with classes, but I'm far from being some super-genius postmodern superstar artist who is going to sell million dollar pieces to galleries and collectors. I wasn't even trained in commercial arts, I'm not even qualified to be an illustrator, portrait painter, anything like that.

>>18391844
I can't say my plan is much more than, find a steady and well paying job (enough to support myself) so that I can practice art on the side, maybe even sell some. Self-teaching isn't that hard. My city has a great library. I don't really want much more than that out of life. I don't want to be famous or a millionaire. The reason I went for the degree in the first place was my parents' "find a job in the field you love and it won't feel like a job" mentality. Little did I realize how few options there are for careers with this degree. Museum directors, art professors, and other well paying jobs like that usually require an MFA. Like I said above I'm not skilled in any commercial field, and even if I was I could self-teach and not have to pay thousands of dollars to learn how to take a portrait photograph or something. If I wanted to sell at galleries, the degree is useless. The only jobs I can think of that would be easier to get after a BFA would be things like gallery work or teaching amateur art classes. Which pay maybe a few bucks more, if any more, than minimum wage here.
>>
>>18391875
>find a steady and well paying job (enough to support myself) so that I can practice art on the side
>Like I said above I'm not skilled in any commercial field

You act like going out and snagging steady/well paid employment is easy for someone with no work experience, no degree, etc. Wait til you're actually on the job market filling out application after application. It will be a rude awakening.

You're just going to get a shitty minimum wage gig that you'll hate and want to quit.

You're operating under the assumption that employers only take people with degrees related to the job in question. This is wrong. Retard baby boomers (aka the majority of people doing the hiring) just care that you HAVE a degree - like your mom and dad.

You only have 2 years left. Apply for scholarships/grants. Find a part time job and start paying loans now. Change your major to something that WILL serve to get you hired when you graduate. Transfer to a cheaper school. ALL of these are better alternatives than dropping out and making the last 2 years of your life a complete waste of time and money.
>>
My plan is similar, except that I'm going to try and finish my degree. I already know this isn't what I want to do for a living, having to draw some shitty ads and children's books and graphics for identical mobile games would just make my life hell. A regular job, while doing art on my free time. But as much as I'd love to start that life already, I'm going to finish the 2 years of school I still have left, first. If you drop out, that's it. But if you finish school, you have the rest of your life to work. School time is best done now, all at once, than later regretting and trying to get back in.
>>
>>18391909
genuinely asking, what kind of jobs that pay well over minimum wage to make it worth the debt will I be able to get with a degree in fine arts?

what you're saying goes contrary to everything I've ever read on the internet or heard from friends who also have college debt. my ears are open but I'm still skeptical that whatever employment opportunities I get are going to make it worth the debt.

and I already have scholarships btw, they just don't cover the full tuition. about 30% is covered. I'm already looking for a job this summer, I have a two interviews lined up actually.
>>
>>18391952
by the way minimum wage is 15/hour here.
I searched around for art gallery jobs and asked around and most of them pay between 15 and 18 hourly wages, which seems ridiculous to get a degree for.
>>
You could change majors instead of dropping out. Also there are salaried jobs that will take anyone with a degree in anything. As long as you present yourself as qualified, admittedly harder to do with a fine arts degree, you can get the same jobs as anyone else. Youre not the first one to choose that degree and there is also grad school
>>
>>18391757
Are you already rich? Then you're doing good work, senpai. If not, then you need to be content with low-tier jobs while you find your way as an artist. Live within your means, never use credit cards. People with no college education do it all the time.
>>
>>18391875
I'm not here to assume, I'm just genuinely interested. And who said postmodernism is even valid anymore
>>
>>18391952

You don't have to restrict yourself to Art-related fields just because you have a BFA. If your goal is just to get any old job that pays well enough to support the lifestyle you want AND gives you enough free time to work on your art, there's no reason to limit yourself. I'm not going to sit here and list the jobs you can get with a bachelor's degree. It's a huge fucking list.

Also, why are you ignoring the possibility of changing your major? Transferring to a cheaper school and finishing your degree there? There are schools in Germany that teach classes in English and it costs next to nothing. You have more options than you think.

The point of finishing your degree would be twofold: 1. whatever time and money you've already spent wouldn't just be a waste. 2. It will make you more hireable across ALL fields; not just in the fine arts

Student debt sucks but being stuck earning 30k/year for your adult life also sucks. There are ways of minimizing the debt you accrue and still finish your degree.

The fact is that you've waited too long to come to this conclusion. You're 2 years into your degree, just fucking finish and be done with it, or you will most likely regret your decision.
>>
>>18392009
>You have more options than you think.
you're right, I'm at the cheapest school where I can get in-state tuition basically, I never even thought about studying abroad. I knew someone who did that from high school but apparently even though the school is free the cost of living is high and you need to save up a decent sum of money to be able to study there without working... not sure on work visa laws in Germany but I could ask /int/.
No idea about what I would change majors to, I don't really have a passion for anything else. I thought about trade school but those also cost quite a bit of money that I would need to loan from somewhere...

Anyway, yeah I guess its pretty stupid to have come to this conclusion 2 years already into a degree and into debt. Thanks for the good advice I probably need to mull this over more before dropping out for good.
>>
>>18392633

Threads like this scare the shit out of me. My degree is even more useless than his.
>>
>>18392722
I just got my psych degree, we can be good company.
>>
>>18392750
Who tricked you into thinking a BA in psychology had any value? Get a MPA.
>>
>>18392756
Masters in public affairs? I'm not the government guy from the other thread, but that would be a good idea for him. I'm going to grad school for other things.
>>
>>18392771
Public Admin
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.