[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electroconvulsive therapy (ECT)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

Long story short:
>22yo female
>Third time at the psych ward, long term visits
>Been eating more 'legal' drugs than I can remember
>"Bipolar" but god knows what. PTSD, ADD, strains of autism
>Can't get rid of anxiety
>Hospital refuse to give me heavy pills because of past OD's
>Instead offered ECT

Anyone been through it?

I've heard two people who thought it helped them, and one calling it all bullshit.

I was brought in by force due to my behaviour and line of thought, can't arse myself to go to the court about it.
Had a few ECT treatments two years ago, but then I didn't have a choice, as I was deemed unfit to do any decisions for myself.
Now, I was "given a choice", but I have to do it no matter what I say, because I don't know if it will work or not.
Last treatment ended early as I brought in alcohol on the ward, which is illegal, so they sent me home KeK.

Open for any questions. Keep me company.
>>
>>18391665
Have you read the bell jar? That shit's scary af. Good luck OP
>>
>>18391682
I haven't, no.

It's not really scary in that sense, though, I'll be asleep during the whole thing, but muscles will hurt in places you never knew existed.

I just kinda feel at loss because nothing's working. I'd cry, but I'm not even feeling sad.
>>
Go for it. Your head is fucked anyway so it's not like it's going to make things worse.
>>
It's like a laser-precise lobotomy. It diminishes connectivity in your brain. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who has a chance of recovery without using it.
>>
>>18391685
Well, fry the brain until I'm nothing but a vegetable. Ever seen a sad veggie?

>>18391686
Well appearently my doc's thinks it's the only option left, for the second time.
>>
I don't know anything about it firsthand, but this is written by a licensed psychologist (he might have been a student at the time I forget) and goes into it and other treatments for depression. It discusses side effects and efficacy a little bit. I don't know if the efficacy changes for bipolar disorder.

http://slatestarcodex.com/2014/06/16/things-that-sometimes-help-if-youre-depressed/
>>
>>18391696
Thanks, will read it right now.
>>
>>18391696
>>18391665
>Can't get rid of anxiety

This isn't about depression, the main problem is my constant anxiety.
I've spent the past ½ year trying to figure out the cause, alone and with bunch of therapists/whatever.
I do have depression, but it's a thing I've had in periods for such a long time, I know when I'm about to enter one, by following behaviour pattern. I've been suicidal, but it doesn't stick forever.
The anxiety has kept me from working, visiting the store, social, meetings, you name it.
It's basically keeping me from living.
>>
>The average length of stay at an average hospital is three to seven days. Two weeks is rare. A month is totally unheard of.

HA... HAHA...
Not in Sweden.
Each of my visits has been at least a month each.
>>
>Le OP here

Siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh
Is it possible to cope with anxiety somehow?

I've going to a therapist about the social anxiety aspects, but as it's a new thing to me, I don't think that's the problem, but rather that just -everything- gives me anxiety.

I've never done illegal drugs, except a tad of weed and perhaps a roofie or two.
Starting to suspect past medication that I was taken off from is what causes all of this, but it's been a year since then, so not completely fitting either.

I'm so damn exhausted, throughout my whole body. Anxiety is probably the heaviest workout I've ever had, constantly, for so long.
That fact alone is driving me down to depressive thoughts, and lack of motivation.
>>
>>18391665
I don't really understand your situation nor if this is really going to help you but, have you tried to do regular sport? It might sound ridiculous, but after a few weeks people usually notice a selfsteem boost as well as a general well-being sensation.

I run 5 km three times a week, and my life and mental health really improved.
>>
>>18392254
Yeah.
Athletics. Swimming. Mountain climbing. Skiing. Football. Gym. Jogging. Ect.
>>
Trying to bump one last time.
>>
What the fuck OP ? That shit doesn't sound legal at all.
>>
>>18391665

Hi OP. Don't do it.

I'm in the same boat as you: bipolar, PTSD, ADHD, anxiety, panic attacks, etc...

I've been on every medication that has ever existed. Nothing has ever given me any meaningful results.

Last summer I went into the psych ward to detox from benzos. I wasn't abusing them, I was taking them as prescribed, but my psychiatrist at the time put me on way too high a dose of xanax, and when I asked to be taken off them, she said I couldn't come off of them because I would have a seizure. Luckily I had a friend who worked in a psych ward and she told me if I went in there they would detox me off of them, so I went in voluntarily.

It took a week to detox, then they kept me against my will for two more weeks because I have good insurance through my work and they wanted to milk it for as much money as possible.

They kept giving me excuses why I couldn't leave, the main excuse being that I was having too much anxiety. When I asked about ECT, they said if I got three treatments they would let me out, but I would have to continue treatments after that.

I agreed to do it, not because I wanted to, but because my job said if I missed another week of work they would fire me. So I went through three ECT treatments in five days, so that I could get out of there, even though it didn't help at all.

It has been a year since the treatments, and my memory is still damaged from it. It's probably permanently damaged. My mental ability to generally think and comprehend things was reduced by about 20% due to those ECT treatments. I am no longer as sharp as I used to be.

Unfortunately I was in a no-win situation. If I didn't get the treatments at that moment in time, I would have lost my job, and since I did get them, my mind and memory or permanently screwed up.

I hope my shitty story helps your decision OP.
>>
Bumping for the OP of the pysch ward.
>>
>>18391686
lol what? No, it's fucking not anything you said in your post.
>>18391665
Watch this:
https://www.ted.com/talks/sherwin_nuland_on_electroshock_therapy

it can take quite a few treatment to get results but when it works, it WORKS.
>>
why did you try to overdose?
how did benzos manage not relieve your anxiety? I find that hard to believe
>>
>>18392944
I don't know why this is so shocking to people, and even to doctors but medicines have different effects on different people, especially ones dealing with mental health.

Like, even though it's a known thing that it takes trial and error to find the right medication for the individual but doctors will argue with their patient about the results.

I have some pretty bad anxiety and took xanax to try to help and it did nothing other than make me super tired. Took it for a month and it never once helped calm me or relieve any anxiety at all.
>>
>>18392829
mental health care is a fucking disgrace
>>
Please go find @positively.kate on Instagram. Your story sounds very similar to hers. She had extreme anxiety and ADD misdiagnosed as bipolar. The ECT caused extreme memory loss and PTSD. Read her story and see what you think.
>>
>>18391665
try microdosin mdma

I've been shocked plenty at work and I can't see how its possibly good for you
>>
>>18392829
Sounds exactly like what I went through, that was 20 years ago, about 10 years ago my memory started improving and I started to become sharper, but slowwwwwly

now I'm like 90% back

To anyone reading this shit, don't ever, ever go through this EST

>>18392935
It does NOT work, it's banned in like 30 countries, for fuck sake
>>
>>18393378
Did you not watch the video you stupid fuck?
>>
>>18391665
Ask for TMS first, less memory loss.
Also if you have money consider ketamine infusion.
>>
Had ECT.
Pretty sure I lost like a quarter of my vocabulary, because I'm -constantly- searching for words now, and I never had the problem before.
>>
>>18391759
I'm in the states and last time I was hospitalized for mania, I was in for 3 weeks...
>>
>>18391665
No personal experience honestly, but my entire family is mentally ill and I've dealt with this shit.

Get on a good course of medication, search for GOOD medical care, mental health professionals and find the best dosage and medication combination available to help level your shit out, generally it's lithium with a combinations of 1 or a few more drugs, every day, never stop.

As for the electro shock therapy, my father had it, all I can say is, it does work. But it's not permanent and I believe should only be used at the most 2-3 times in your entire life at the worst times so that you can correct yourself and get back on medication.

I'm not sure if you need to have that done though, because you're on here, typing and reading for help. Which you very clearly need... but bipolar can be very serious, without proper treatment you will end up as a homeless crazy person with no life or future very easily with no hope and be nothing but a burden to you and every one around you.

So get help as best you can.
>>
>>18393572
What did you have it for?

have you ever thought that you might just have a degenerative brain disease?
>>
>>18393761
Nah, I had a really bad viral infection, which after it was cleared up, left me with brain problems, which manifested as psychosis and delusions of grandeur.
They zapped me a couple times a week for a few weeks, and I'm (mostly) back to normal.
Granted, I was kind of am outlier case, because I wasn't responding to drugs and was going to be the next Emperor Norton. They don't usually do ECT for psychosis.
There's just such a huge range of side effects to to ECT that I think it should be an absolute last resort.
>>
>>18393829

that's awful man. THis is really awful all the accounts of ECT. My heart goes out to you guys and others with mental illnesses, shit-tier treatment. It's awful...
>>
>>18393881
pdocs can be fucking stupid, mine wanted to do ect for anhedonia
>>
>>18391665
numping for interest

honestly I've been scared for years they will commit me and I'l end up like that guy in the movie who go the lobotomy

I'l be company :)
>>
There was an anon who posted regularly about her ect treatment last year in the letters threads. I haven't seen her posting in a long while. I've been curious to see how it worked or not for her
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.