[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bullshit classes in college

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: eating-computer.jpg (35KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
eating-computer.jpg
35KB, 600x600px
These fucking communication and creative thinking classes are fucking killing me. It is not that is is difficult, i have all A's. But they are so fucking stupid! I honestly think college in easier than high school just because I have these stupid fucking classes that any 4th grader could complete. I fucking hate it. and i fucking hate the bitch English Major teachers who teach the fucking things. I just want to fucking become a Computer scientist.

I have 5 hours of busy work ahead of me for a project that will teach me absolutely nothing! I want to kill these fucks.

How do I get over this?
>>
>>18390091
Who gives a shit, less work for you and more time to enjoy college.

I went through engineering school taking the easiest electives available so I'd have less school time and "cheated" my grades higher for my resume.
>>
>>18390091
Just be grateful it's not too tough.
I'm taking the easiest pol sci classes next semester and I've done it before.

I know how you feel. I kind of just meme my way through it.
>>
File: 1494550864436.jpg (38KB, 265x265px) Image search: [Google]
1494550864436.jpg
38KB, 265x265px
>>18390091
I feel the same way as you. That's why I dropped out twice. I don't like the thought of paying hundreds and hours of my time just so some old hag can tell me about the meaning of a shitty poem, or learning about something I can learn online in a few hours. It's even more of a scam when you realize that about 90% of college majors are damn near useless on their own
>>
>>18390249
These classes have never helped anyone, and anyone who doesn't understand how to act professionally is not smart enough to be in college.
>>
>>18390091
I remember hating those classes but not to the extent I have to sperg out.
Also in the communication class in my uni (top 5 global ranking) students are allowed to do projects relevant to their field of interest, without the rigour and formality. Eg. one could talk about umbral algebra, only adding a lot more shits and giggles into it.
>>
File: 1409447903648.jpg (38KB, 515x500px) Image search: [Google]
1409447903648.jpg
38KB, 515x500px
why not just take AP english in HS and skip the gen ed?
>>
>>18390091
But your making jobs for the union anon. Aren't you happy about that?
>>
>>18391309
>STEM
>E = engineering
>domestic engineering
what is logic

Damn, I guess housewives are STEM too.
>>
>>18391537
Everything could be STEM as long as we can make some alliteration happen.
>>
>>18391553
I feel like it's a step below psychology and sociology in applying the scientific process, but as long as psychology and sociology are STEM, computer science is probably STEM too.
>>
>>18390091
Just hang in there anon.

>Get the diploma
>Be higher tier than faggits and tyrones
>???
>PROFIT
>>
Computer science is NOT science, just as political science isn't. That doesn't make them inferior to science, it just makes them different. It doesn't make you less smart to not do a STEM field, that's just some guy on 4chan. Now relax, but CS is not a science.
>>
>>18391597
Care to give any explanation? Most CS is now programming, which is definitely 100% not science.

If programming is "science" then everything is science. Photoshop is science. Using Excel or Word is "science". Playing a computer game or a real life sport is "science". Making tea is "science". Maintaining and driving a car is a "science". They're actually not. Science is something a lot more specific.

If you're posting stupid anime jpgs
and you're doing computer science
and you're on 4chan
and you can't form a reasonable argument
then your outlook for succeeding in life is pretty bad. Just saying.
>>
>>18391631
unironically the best post in this thread
>>
Your own fault for being lazy in high school and not taking your 101 classes, either via dual enrollment or AP.

That's when you were SUPPOSED to learn that.
>>
>>18390091
If you didn't want a university education, why did you go to university?
>>
if we define science as a continual progression of knowledge previously unknown to mankind, the pursuit of which requires many years and specialization, then CS is definitely science.
Given that is an asserted def and you could use this to justify a lot, but I think the definition is a fair one.

Likewise, you could argue the proximity of the major to other STEM fields, and how related/similar it is to other engineering/science course material.

also, I did not major English so fuck off mine
>>
>>18390091
You don't, you just get through it. Those classes are stupid and pointless, and generally are a way of a school sucking more money out of you. But they are part of getting a degree.

I hate to break the news to you, but your life is going to be filled with pointless, stupid shit you don't want to do, but have to. You suck it the fuck up, and just do what you need to do.
>>
Mechanical R&D engineer here. Been in the industry about 6 years now.

Take a step back and look at the bigger picture. Forget about school for the moment. What is a career and what does it involve? What will you be doing exactly?

My GEs prepared me more for my career as an engineer than my engineering classes. Most of what you'll be doing career wise is taught on the job; your core classes only lay a technical foundation to build upon. Your GEs prepare you for EVERYTHING else.

Every. Fucking. Day.
Will be spent talking with people (communication/speeches), meetings (communication), debating (rhetoric/communication), writing persuasive emails (english/rhetoric), thinking creatively (Fucking important and covered in english/art/philosophy classes. You'll notice that none of your core courses tell you HOW to be creative, only that you NEED to be.), interpreting what your customer/boss wants (nobody is ever straight forward IRL) (analyzing literature and speeches), workplace politics (understanding political motivation/government), writing reports (english), working on a team (every fucking group project ever), etc...

After you spend a few years in industry you WILL appreciate those classes and regret not focusing more on them, not for bullshit grades (because those won't matter a few years after graduation) but for the sake of learning. I'd bet good money that the next educational book you buy after you graduate won't be STEM based. It'll be english/sociology/psychology/art/project management.
>>
>>18392248
Cont...

You get out of GEs what you put into them. It's easy to get an "A" but nobody gives a shit after college about that "A," including you.
Learn for the sake of learning and nothing else. Good grades will come from that approach and if not the knowledge you gained was more important anyway.

-What you will care about is how you're able to successfully identify what motivations drive that asshole of a manager so you can stay on his good side and manipulate him if needed. So pay attention in philosophy.
-How critical reading of emails from your boss reveals that he doesn't understand the group's project, despite the front he puts up, so you'll need to cover your ass and form your own group to figure it out on your own before he throws you under the bus. So look for deeper insight next time you analyze a piece of literature.
-When you have a good idea and you're thrust in front of executive management at a moment's notice. You'll need to be ready with an ability to speak under pressure, communicate technical knowledge to non-technical people, and most importantly figure out what their motivations are DURING your presentation so you know what type of persuasion is necessary to get your idea approved. So practice speeches more than you need to, think deeper about methods of communication, and interpret complex literature into simple terms while you have the chance.

Only focusing on technical knowledge and rejecting "worthless" subjects will most likely lead to a mediocre career. If you want an amazing career you need to find value in EVERYTHING you learn. You'll become more successful and it leads to a general happier outlook on life.
>>
>>18390091
(hates boring/dull things)
(Wants to be a computer scientist)
looks like you picked a good career?
>>
Doesn't T in STEM stand for technology? Wouldn't CS fall under that?
>>
>>18392869
They're bitching because CS is an applied science. Same with nursing. The trouble is, you open a lot more doors with applied degrees than with theoretical ones. Chemical engineering vs. chemistry, for example.
>>
>>18390333

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, and it's only said by kids who think they know better, and have never held a reasonably important job. Once you get into later positions, where your career actually blooms, it's largely about navigating the politics of an organization than it is your technical knowledge. When you're in your 30s and 40s and looking for a director position, you're not going to get it by explaining to the senior leadership team that you found some unclear code and that you're going to fix it in technical terms. You'll need to communicate why the problem exists, what lead to it, and what members of your TEAM are going to do to fix it while keeping other projects on course, all to people who have no real clue what the technical challenges are.

Or, you can be doomed to being a code-monkey the rest of your life, but that's still going to make people dislike you, because it will be interpreted as an unwillingness to learn.

"Acting professional" is a lot different than you see on TV, because people around you AREN'T going to act professional, and you need to know how to navigate those personalities to best serve your interests and those of the company.

But sure, keep telling people you know what "professionalism" means, and I'll make sure I don't hire you.
>>
>>18392893
>I'll make sure I don't hire you.
outed as poor
>>
>>18392954
I enjoy it. It's not always fun (paperwork) and has its ups and downs but it's rewarding overall. I love being able to be creative and turn that creativity into a product that helps people.
>>
>>18390091
agreed same in AUS
>>
File: smug.jpg (34KB, 375x306px) Image search: [Google]
smug.jpg
34KB, 375x306px
>>18393724
>>18393742
Jesus Christ, get a room you faggots. Maybe coming deep into each's assholes will release all your bottled up virginity pressure.
>>
>>18390091
>I just want to fucking become a Computer scientist.
Damn I was guessing engineering when I read the first sentence.
The reason they make you take those "bullshit" required classes is that many undergrads (ESPECIALLY STEM) don't know how to write at all.
>>
>>18396655

>trying to figure out why someone keeps posting images to themselves
>>
>>18392102
Cause I dont want to be a poor fag like all of 4chan
>>
>>18392288
I enjoy sovling things that actually take deep thought. Most english related things are too fucking easy and make me want to end my life just because of the vast never ending boredom.
>>
>>18396208
I got a 33 and 30 on reading and english respectivly for my act. I can write. I got a 24 on my math.
>>
>>18390091
tough shit, chances are your college needs those bullshit classes to get money from the goverment
Your education comes second, also there has to be something women and minorities can teach
>>
>>18392893
you're not getting what OP means
I know those classes.
They have not helped anyone might be a bit strong, but I do think they're a colossal waste of time and money.
You learn those soft skills on the field or in specialized formations.
>>
>>18396919
>learning how to effectively communicate at a professional level can be done on the job

Not really. I have yet to meet a web developer who has any idea how to properly finesse a conversation with a client. That's what the marketing people are for. And they have a natural knack for it. They didn't learn that at school or on the job.
>>
>>18396966
Anything is a skill.
>>
>>18396966
>>18396971
cont.
you just need to want to learn it.
also
>they didn't learn that at school
they do teach this in school if you're doing marketing.
>>
this thread is hilarious
>>
Op some advice. Take the electives that entertain you not the ones that are easy. For my first science elective I took some fucking random kin health or whatever class that made me want to kill myself like you. So for my next one took a physics course and actually challenged myself.

IDK how it works at your uni, but for social sciences I recommend econ, and not bullshit random classes, take intro micro/macro they are piss easy but interesting, if you need a third take intermediate should have the calc credit already as a comp sci student. Humanities take some sort of philosophy courses, again not the random easy ones, history can be fun too if there is a time period you find interesting. Science take physics.

University is not some autistic technology instituion there is more to it then that, unfortunately people just waste time and money taking the easiest useless electives.
>>
>>18390091
You must be going to some shitty state college anon

I majored in EE and only had about 3~ of the creative classes.

> I did credit out of 2 or so of those classes though so I only had to take the one in the end

Shoulda thought ahead and taken both AP Lit tests
>>
>>18390218
Typical Millenial bitching about freshman year classes
>>
>>18391309
>STEM
>S = Science
> Political SCIENCE
what is logic
>>
>>18396728
>taking deep thought
Anon... I have bad news for your career prospects
>>
>>18398572
Your post doesn't affect my point at all
>>
>>18390091
Lamo if college isn't for you try going into a fucking trade, the problem with the schooling system here is schools will talk about trades but don't put enough emphasis on it like they do college.
>>
>>18399960
The fucking 4chan government global banned me for spamming in this thread until the 11th my dude. I have to concede now. What a bunch of Hillary supporting cucks.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.