[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anons in college, do you work? What are your jobs? Do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1489655480157.jpg (10KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
1489655480157.jpg
10KB, 250x240px
Anons in college, do you work? What are your jobs?

Do you think its hard to work part-time while being a full-time student?
>>
>>18390027
full time
get it otu of the way

if you are just starting take 1st year prerequisites in the summer.

don't work unless you have to (but don't slack off cause you're not working), unless you find a job where you can spend 50%+ of your time reading
>>
>>18390032
I dont have to work. My dad tells me not to because he doesnt want me to be so busy I drop out.

But I want to save up some money desu, and all the comfy jobs are taken. I was thinking of working Friday-Sunday as a dishwasher for $9 an hour.
>>
>>18390027
Unless you are pursuing a degree in the hard sciences GET A FUCKING JOB because your degree will not be worth shit. Welcome to Taco Bell I've been replaced by a kiosk.
>>
>>18390046
I've had various part time jobs during my undergrad. the best are under the table pay. I did catering and would take that above any taxed job
>>
>>18391304
How does someone get into catering / under the table?
>>
>>18390027
No longer a student, but I worked throughout college; on-campus, part-time job in the library, plus a few night shifts a week washing dishes in a restaurant (not recommended as a job, yuck, but there are worse). It was OK, provided all my spending money (won't lie, my family plus a scholarship and a smallish loan took care of my tuition and housing, so I didn't really have to struggle to support myself). On days when I had classes plus on-campus work plus a night washing nasty greasy dishes it felt like a lot--days when all I had to do was go to school and mess around on campus were much more enjoyable. But I got through it; I've worked at least part time since I was twelve.

I also worked for a while in grad school, living on nothing but a fellowship (later scholarships) and doing phone surveys a few days a week. It was fine, but I ultimately decided I'd rather be poor. My fellowship/scholarships covered tuition, rent, and a very basic diet. I needed the extra hours I was spending working to research and write a thesis. So I just made due with a fairly hermit-like lifestyle for two and a half years.
>>
>>18391331
gotta talk to people. a lot of these catering companies need seasonal help. I got my connection through a friend though. some other anon suggest a cozy student job, which I think is the best option as well. you say they've all been taken but I doubt new ones won't pop up during the year.
>>
>>18390027
I work part-time (under 30 hours/week) at Publix which is a grocery store stocking shelves and just general bitch work around the store. It's really relaxed. and covers my rent and food while in school.

I'm doing about 13 credit hours per semester currently in community college and I don't see how I'll possibly be able to pay for a full university once I'm done with these two years.
>>
When I was in school I worked part time retail... Like, 15 hours a week, sometimes 20 if I felt like picking up a shift.

Anyways, if you can afford to avoid it, I'd make sure not to work more than that. College is really the last time in your life that you'll have anything resembling freedom, so enjoy it while you have it.
>>
File: 1496625164665.jpg (324KB, 1052x1402px) Image search: [Google]
1496625164665.jpg
324KB, 1052x1402px
>>18390027
I'm in my senior year at uni doing industrial engineering and I would recommend working to build a resume. No more than 25 hrs a week though. That shit will murder your grades if you work more than that. Nab stuff that helps you stand out. My split up family pays for my school, but you have to build yourself. Persue certifications relating to your field too. Check if your uni offers them.

Think: If you just graduate college even with deans list what do you have to offer a company? What skills make you worth the wage they pay you? A resume basically is the receipt for the company after they purchase you for $XX dollars an hour.
>>
>>18392277
Oh yeah guess I could mention where I've worked.

Wal-Mart stocker that got fucked on his wage. Retail sucks, but it gets you money.

Classroom tech for the university. Honestly, get a uni job. Usually snow balls into different departments from there. They look good too.

Uni call center tech

Network operations tech

Engineering research assistant
>>
>>18392277
>certifications relating to your field too
Like what exactly?
>>
File: All Quiet on the Western Front.jpg (70KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
All Quiet on the Western Front.jpg
70KB, 1000x750px
College-bound here, and I guess I have the same question as OP.

My situation is I live in New Orleans, where there's many, many restaurants to work at. I'm going to Loyola University for a Physics degree and that'll eventually lead to grad school. But I'm poor and my family is poor so no money coming from that. All I have going for me right now is scholarships that are paying for about 3/4 of tuition and board together.

How will I fare if I get a part-time cafe job?
>>
>>18393035
Why don't you just apply for my scholarships? Also I wouldn't work while majoring in Physics. But if you think your major is easy, then go for it.
>>
>>18393068
more scholarships*
>>
>>18390027
I'm in cc lol
Currently part time and I cleannsome old guys house once a week for $30

But I'm poor enough to were I qualify for he government to pay for my classes. Then my local department of social services pays for my books and pays my rent. I also have a kid though so that's why the dpss pays my rent and feeds us.

I feel bad for the people who aren't poor enough. Cause the guidelines for not qualifying are retarded. And everyone should be able to go to college.
>>
>>18390027
I'm in cc lol
Currently part time and I cleannsome old guys house once a week for $30

But I'm poor enough to were I qualify for he government to pay for my classes. Then my local department of social services pays for my books and pays my rent. I also have a kid though so that's why the dpss pays my rent and feeds us.

I feel bad for the people who aren't poor enough. Cause the guidelines for not qualifying are retarded. And everyone should be able to go to college for mostly free if not completely.
>>
>>18393399
jfc you are so lucky
>>
I've graduated, but while I was studying, I worked in a supermarket. It was one of the reasons I graduated without a student loan (which is very common where I live).
>>
>>18393009
In my case I got six sigma green belt certified. Basically statistical quality control. Might go for OSHA certification too. Industrial engineering is looking like layout planning and having a decent amount in construction, so I figure those will help. They are offered by the school at a fraction of the cost so it's worth it for me.
>>
>>18393399
Fuck. I'm disqualified from section 8 rent assistance because I'm a full time student with no children but everyone else gets rent assistance.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.