[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does depression have to be clinically treated? Is one year+ a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

Does depression have to be clinically treated? Is one year+ a lot or will it go away at some point
>>
>>18389432
It depends on cause of the depression. If the depression is caused by a chemical imbalance it needs to be treated, if on the other hand it is caused by something else it only goes away with self actualization and improvement. It cannot clear on it's own.
>>
>>18389465
too bad being a trash retard fuck doesn't clear on it s own

ty for the info tho
>>
>>18389490
Sounds like a chemical imbalance desu
>>
>>18389510
sounds like years of failure and bullying and +
>>
>>18389432
I think it generally doesn't just go away on its own. I've been struggling with it for a little over a decade now. Doc urges me to try anti depressants but honestly I'm going to kill myself soon anyway so it'd be a waste.
>>
>>18389432
Going on 4 years of ups and downs. I haven't actually tried committing suicide. But I think about death more than the average person. I've been so low where I can't stop thinking about doing it, that's it though.
My highs are weird, I feel like I've forgotten what it feels like to be happy and not just have an elevated mood.

I smoke weed to cope.
>>
>>18389432
I've been aware of my depression for 7 years, getting treatment on and off. I've had it for god knows how long.
It took a lot of experimenting, but I found a drug cocktail that works for me. I take duloxetine and ritalin. Works for me. It made me catch my footing when my life was stable. Now things are more unstable, so I'm regressing into some old coping mechanisms. But I've seen what I look like when I'm functional, so I'm more inclined to try and get back there.
>>
>>18389432
no

but life isn't easy so work at it
>>
File: 1487285357929.jpg (84KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1487285357929.jpg
84KB, 960x960px
>>18389432

>Does depression have to be clinically treated?

The short answer is yes. Clinical depression is a physically quantifiable medical diagnosis; a chemical imbalance in your brain based in physiology.

Brain scans of a person without depression and one with depression are visibly different and, again, medically quantifiable.

The short answer is, there is no home-remedy for clinical depression. Because depression is an actual, physical illness think of it the same way as you do cancer or any other disease. Just because the disease happens in your brain doesn't mean its any less a disease.

Change in diet, therapy, exercise, medication, and all the rest of the "feel good" 4chan memes are of course very helpful when combatting depression but, ultimately, they are not a cure. There is no cure for depression, only treatment.

Long story short, if you have clinical depression you need clinical treatment. Symptoms may increase and decrease throughout a year or a decade or even a lifetime but it will never just go away.

See a psychiatrist; only he or she can determine if your depression is clinical or rooted in something else. Seeing a medical professional is a win-win; whether its clinical or not they can help you treat it. The point is, waiting for it to "go away" is the wrong move. Ignoring it is not the solution, and neither is trying to tackle this yourself without any outside help.
>>
>>18389762
SSRIs often cause permanent damage. Think very carefully and do a lot of research before agreeing to take whatever pills the drug companies are pushing at the moment.
>>
>>18390018

>SSRIs often cause permanent damage. Think very carefully and do a lot of research before agreeing to take whatever pills the drug companies are pushing at the moment.

Take the tinfoil hat shit elsewhere. There are dozens upon dozens of SSRIs on the market right now, each catered to a specific kind of patient with a specific kind of administration schedule and treatment plan.

Its inherently dangerous to portray every prescribed medication as some drug company shadow-conspiracy money grab because there are people out there who need these medications. There are side effects with every medication but the purpose of medication isn't a guaranteed fix, its a calculated risk; the risk of not taking medication versus taking it.

SSRIs save lives. That is a fact. Are they right for everyone? No. Are they meant to be taken as a permanent fix for depression? Absolutely not. They are a stepping stone towards a treatment plan; curbing the effects of clinical depression so people can have a chance at life. THATS why we have medical professionals and support teams, not paranoid, uneducated conspiracy theorists on 4chan claiming that pills are deadly and you can cure depression by meditating and crushing it at the gym.

Any medication can cause damage but lets not forget that clinical depression causes more damage than the medication does. A common side effect of clinical depression is suicide. Lets not forget that nothing can cause more permanent damage than killing yourself, anon.
>>
>>18390018
What kind of permanent damage? Do SNRIs do the same?
Also, you know what causes permanent damage? Suicide. I'll take my chances.
>>
>>18390062
>Take the tinfoil hat shit elsewhere
Thank-you for saying that!!!!!

it's spread to almost every board on 4 chan now

SSRIs DO NOT CAUSE PERMANENT DAMAGE, THAT'S BULLSHIT
>>
>>18390062
>>18390103
Risk of potentially permanent changes in sexual function -- Google it. Even official sources admit that withdrawal symptoms can last for over 4 weeks (at which point they just stopped monitoring).
>>
>>18390103
First SSRI I took gave me anhedonia and it hasn't been resolved in 4 years.
>>
>>18390062
There are better kinds of antidepressants. Tricyclics, bupropion, atypical depressants -- many of which do not have the sexual dysfunction, anorgasmia, or risk of prolonged anhedonia like SSRIs do. Antidepressants can be helpful to some people, but there are less harmful ones in existence.
>>
>>18390062
Moreover, many studies have shown that SSRIs are no more effective than other forms of antidepressants, and often less so. Hell some of them have been shown to be less effective than simply _exercising a few times a week_.
>>
>>18390062
You are pretending SSRIs are the only form of medication for depression. That's a false dichotomy. Honestly who is paying you? Or is this just cognitive dissonance because you're dependent on them and have to take them for life now in order to function at all?
>>
>>18390176
SSRIs are relatively safe compared to other anti depressants that's why they're front line treatment also cite your sources.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.