[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Employment after Uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1455739600776.jpg (77KB, 600x801px) Image search: [Google]
1455739600776.jpg
77KB, 600x801px
Hey /adv/,

I'm about to finish uni having achieved a decent overall grade in a politics degree and need some advice on what to do next because I'm at a loss. I had no goal in mind when deciding to go to uni other than to put off having to decide what to do with my life for 3 years and now my time is up.

I need to get a job as soon as possible because I can't stay at my parents' house long-term but I have literally no idea how to look for a job or what kind of thing, if anything, is out there for someone like me with a meme-degree and no previous experience in anything. I'm in the UK at the moment but would prefer to live pretty much anywhere else and would rather not work in London if I can help it.

Any advice, career/job ideas and inspiration is appreciated.

Feel free to use the thread to ask for advice if you're in a similar end-of-uni situation.
>>
>>18388059
MI6
>>
>>18388083
Not sure if you were serious but it seems like it would at least be worth looking into. I'll consider throwing them an application, can't hurt anyway.
>>
>>18388059
civil service
politics
multinational corporation
retail

longer term - law shcool
>>
File: 1484284891359.png (108KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1484284891359.png
108KB, 1024x1024px
>>18388059
>decent overall grade
>politics degree
>>
>>18388265
>civil service
Looked into this and I'll definitely apply by September or whenever applications open if I'm still unemployed but it's super-competitive so I can't rely on it as an option.

I've been looking into various multinational corporations but I really haven't managed to find anything that would be suitable for me to apply to. I obviously need to do more searching but I suspect that I'm also looking in the wrong places. All of the jobs that I've seen advertised on the internet at least are IT/ other technical work related.
>>
>>18388059
STEM grads have one advantage - they've been trained directly for one specific job area. It's a higher equivalent of a plumber going to trade school to learn plumbing.

The problem is - what if there are no jobs for plumbers? STEM grads can't really move sideways.

Humanities grads are not trained for a specific job. But they are far more flexible. In effect you can legitimately apply for any non-technical job.

The key is to stress the skills you have. Few will hire you for your knowledge of politics. But the skills you developed while studying are transferable if pitched right.

You are better than 90% of the population at reading and analyzing material, combining received data with new original insights, writing coherently and convincingly, etc, etc

Don't face employers with the attitude of "I'm just a politics major. Please be charitable and hire me anyway" but rather with "Because I'm a politics major I'm just what you need, because. . . ."
>>
>>18388284
>"Because I'm a politics major I'm just what you need, because. . . ."

Good thing you left the ellipsis there for him for all the bullshit like 'Team-Oriented' and 'Good Communicator'

In reality OP, you memed away your opportunity at college and if you want a decent job/career you should look into self-education in a field that is actually useful. You can break into quantitative fields through software dev which is readily available allover the internet. There's also things like passing actuary tests but you probably suck at math so I wouldn't encourage this.
>>
>>18388281
Heh.

>>18388284
Thanks for the advice, I'll really bare it in mind. I definitely have been looking at jobs with a "please be charitable" frame of mind so I'll try to look further afield now.
>>
>>18388301
>you memed away your opportunity at college
I said as much in my first post.

>if you want a decent job/career
Would be nice of course but my priorities at the moment are to move out of my parents' house as soon as possible, I'm not looking to make major money any time soon and I'm not kidding myself that I will. I am actually interested in my subject though and I really don't think that transitioning to something like programming, as useful as it undoubtedly is, is something that I can do. Certainly not without being miserable anyway.
>>
File: 1338221.gif (404KB, 342x342px) Image search: [Google]
1338221.gif
404KB, 342x342px
bumping
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.