[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much is it appropriate to spend on an engagement ring? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_6597.jpg (14KB, 311x275px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6597.jpg
14KB, 311x275px
How much is it appropriate to spend on an engagement ring? I'm currently broke as shit and have about a year and half left of school but I really want to propose next summer to my gf. We've been dating for 5 years and have talked about marriage. I feel bad that I won't be able to afford a nice ring but also I don't wanna wait any longer than one more year :/ is it acceptable to get a bigger diamond once you have more money?
>>
0 dollars. do not fall for the jew scam. diamonds are literally worthless clear stones. get a gold and silver ring that's actually valued at current prices.
>>
>>18387795
This OP do something more personal. If she insists on the rock she's trash anyway.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kWu1ifBGU
>>
>>18387786
>implying your sow deserves anything other than a pussy full of cum
>>
Well, just buy one for as much as you can afford, if she won't understand that, she's probably not the right one for you anyway?

>>18387817
Never change /r9k/. Gets you into an early grave, which you deserve.
>>
>>18387853
Oh I don't think she'd have any problem with a smaller one. It's just I WANT to get a nice one for her. I start work in August I'll be making ideally if I get the hours I want 200 every week which isn't great but ideally I'd save up 1000 or 1500 by next summer
>>
>>18387871
Stop cherry picking advise OP. You asked for advise and I tried to save you several thousand dollars. Rise above the rest, don't be a full blown normie.
>>
>>18387786
Get a normal silver ring for engagement, a gold one for marriage, like custom over here in some European countries. It is primarily a symbol anyhow. No need to waste money on a worthless stone.
>>
>>18387881
I don't think OP is going to understand how much he's playing into jewish hands. He spends several thousand on a worthless stone and then when they eventually break up because they're young and stupid she'll keep the ring as well.
>>
>>18387883
Who cares if they break up or not, this is blatantly shitting in the faces of people who could use that money to eat or buy themselves something useful ... oh but muh traditional values
>>
>>18387876
>>18387883

I'm not gonna NOT get her ring. At the very least I'll give her one of my moms old ones or something. Just so her sister and her mom don't go "Anon didn't get you a ring??" And save her the annoyance.

>>18387881
So just a silver band with no stone?
>>
>>18387883
It has nothing to do with "jews" mate. Keep that stuff at /pol/.

But yes. Stones are worthless.

>>18387888
Stonesin engagement rings are not traditional. They exist for a mere century as the "must"

.>>18387891
>So just a silver band with no stone?
That is what I would suggest. You can get a pair of those already in the 50-100 € range.
If you wanna spend a bit more, you can have your names or her favorite quote engraved in them or such. For example me and my fiancee both study lutheran theology to be pastors in the VELKD, had to learn hebrew, and hence
I got our names inscribed in hebrew letters.

Both rings together were around 75€
>>
>>18387898
>we had to learn hebrew

ohohoho
>>
>>18387891
Good going OP. I would suggest a nice silver-gold ring from an actual jewler or even a blacksmith (not a retail store). They're usually about the price of gold and silver + the work creating it. That way if you ever want to sell it for whatever reason you can and you're also supporting real trades.
>>
>>18387903
>ohohoho

Where is the issue? The OT happens to be written in it, so you need it for proper exegesis. We had to learn greek (NT) and latin (church history) as well.
>>
The Jews in the jewelry industry tell you 3 months of your net income.

However, the fact of the matter is that the fucking metal and rock is entirely irrelevant to the union of your souls, and that is an undeniable, and absolute fact, son.
>>
>>18387883
This.

The possibility of breakup doesn't factor at all,and neither does her keeping the ring, though.

The fact that those rings have become status symbols FOR THE FUCKING STUPID ROCKS and not for the meaning behind them, denigrates the whole thing and THAT is the problem
>>
>>18387947
you know what? I reckon if you propose to someone without a engagement ring or with a simple band then I bet you that said marriage would be drastically less likely to fail because the core precepts wouldn't be based on nihilism and consumerism.
>>
>>18387958
Absolutely. That is real wisdom, and the wise and just will recognize it immediately despite all the corruption we stand against.

DEUS VULT!
>>
>>18387795
first post, best post.
>>
>>18387786
Jewelry industry propaganda says one month's salary. But a lot less is fine.

Here's how to do it. Decide on your budget. Go to a reputable jeweler a day in advance and tell the clerk your price range and that you'll be back tomorrow with your girlfriend.

Jeweler will prepare a selection of rings in your range to show her without letting her know the prices and let her choose. Then you and he step aside to deal with money
>>
>>18387795
I think you spelled jeweler wrong
>>
File: truelove.jpg (73KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
truelove.jpg
73KB, 1280x720px
>>18387786
Get her a /pol/ approved ring.
>>
File: hosp.jpg (51KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
hosp.jpg
51KB, 500x509px
>>18387786
>Step 1: show her Adam ruins everything about diamonds.
>Step 2: explain that diamonds are intrinsically worthless and "cheaped" precious stones realistically have more value because they are legit rare and not just artificially inflated through a monopoly
>Step 3: watch her go nuts over all the types of rings she can get and how large the rock can be
>Step 4: Congrats, you've done your part to destroy the diamond myth. You can cut down on price further with a rose gold base, and you can save cash by making your bands tungston (a metal that can survive ridiculous heats and the strongest shit you can make a band out of)
You have now dropped you price from $2k-8K for a 1 karrot to 3 karrot diamond, to $300-$1k for a 3 to 5 Karrot rock. But chances are she still wants a diamond she's a woman, and women are stupid.

My chick and I are going for an emerald and rosegold with tungston bands.
>>
I think my husband got my set (engagement and band) for under $1000.

His band was $300
>>
>>18387786
I'd suggest getting a gold/silver ring with a non diamond stone in it. You can get some beautiful designs with semi precious stones that are colorful and only cost a couple hundred of dollars. Does she have a favorite color or an interest in anything? A ring doesn't have to be extremely expensive to be beautiful and have meaning. Get something that would mean something to you/her personally.
>>
>>18387786
>is it acceptable to get a bigger diamond once you have more money?
sure.

that said, I always thought I'd do something custom when I proposed. idk what yet cause I'm not at that point, a diamond would probably be involved just because they are pretty. idk, depends on the girl OP.
>>
>>18387786
Diamonds are a fucking scam, and having to buy them to show your love is a century old lie created by De Deers.
its all just a big advertizing lie that has manipulated generations of women into thinking thats how you show love.

get something more personal, fuck spending money cause 'thats what ya do' is not very romantic. There are lots of people on the internet (on etsy for example, and elsewhere) that make custom and comparably affordable rings. Far more meaningful IMO

obviously this will depend on who your SO is and how she thinks.... Push the boundaries, but don't be stupid.
>>
I picked my ring out. It's a white sapphire which I think is a bit more personal since (blue) sapphire is my birthstone. Also it's hella cheaper. Cost around $300 I think.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.