[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bible Brethren

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: needs_the_lord.jpg (14KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
needs_the_lord.jpg
14KB, 259x194px
New to the bible, starting on the gospel of Mark. Where should I go from here?
>>
>>18385986
read the Koran and the Torah too
don't be biased.
>>
>>18385986
Stop reading it and throw it in the trash. Religion is just a weak appeal to authority for people who don't have the brains to seek real answers. If you really wanted to start to understand reality or morality read philosophy.
>>
>>18385986
King James Version, I hope. That one kickstarted english literacy and caused a cultural boom.

Anyway, I'd start at the beginning. It's an important book if you want to deepen your understanding of western culture.
>>
>>18386005
>my IQ is 195
>4.5 gpa and in IV league
>>
>>18386015
Beginning of the old testament? I'm converting to christianity btw.
>>
>>18386028
195? you're in the top 99.9999999880%?
bull fucking shit dude.

you spelt ivy wrong
>>
>>18386005
its good for historical and cultural context, but it is the work of fiction and millennia political powers
>>
>>18386032
Yeah Mark is a great book, but it is important to read Genesis onwards to really grasp the prophecies, wisdom etc.
>>
>>18386028
lol i'm in the IV league

the intravenous league? fucking retard
>>
>>18385986

start at the beginning and read chronologically.
>>
>>18386040
>>18386053
I got a 2400 on my SAT too faggots, you wish you had the intellect I have.
>>
>>18386028
Then you should fucking know better. How well versed are you in Euthyphro or Kantian moral theory? People who have read and understand these texts don't have a longing for stupid mythological answers no more than a mathematician tries to tell fortunes with geomancy.

People knew the solar system was heliocentric about 1000 years before Copernicus, but religious people burned down the library of Alexandria.

Think more critically and don't become part of the neo-stoneage.
>>
>>18386032
Yes at Genesis. And converting to Christianity is not a requirement for reading the Bible any more than converting to Islam is a requirement for reading the Quran.

But seriously, KJV or bust. It's not the most accurate translation, but it's extremely well written and pleasant to read.
>>
>>18385986
why not just read the whole thing?
>>
>>18386067
*tips*
>>
>>18386005
That edge is beyond my method of understanding
>>
>>18386005
the entirety of western culture was built upon this book. It is a MUST READ for understanding the society we live in you tiny brained turd stick
>>
>>18386476
Buncha savages in this town.
>>
hey guys i just read chapter 12 of Stephen King's 'IT' and was wondering which chapter i should read next.
>>
>>18386028
>IV league

Now that's funny
>>
>>18386638
Heroin's a hell of a drug.
>>
>>18386543
Western Culture is shit though.
>>18386502
found the christfag
>>
>>18386616
I could never read any of King. He sucks at suspense and his stories wonder around for no reason.
>>
>>18386754

agreed on his later works. his earlier stuff has some great stories but he is overhyped and even among his collection of shorts theres more snoozers than not. I'm pretty easy to scare and love the genre but hes kinda the naruto of horror novels.
>>
>>18386905
Ever read Patrick Rothfuss? Great stuff.
>>
>>18386616
I would probably read chapter 3 of Duma Key, then maybe chapter 10 of The Green Mile...
that should really give you a clear view of what to do next.

but IDK, cause I only have an IQ of 145... so i'm a bit slow eh.... didn't get my education intravenously ya know.
>>
>>18386050
all the killing is in the etcetera, of course
>>
File: 57c.jpg (143KB, 680x954px) Image search: [Google]
57c.jpg
143KB, 680x954px
>>18386005
this^^^^^^^^^^
>>
>>18387026
If god is infinite, then how can any description we have of him be accurate?.... it can't

If you can imagine it, it is not sufficient to be even a part of god.

the bible is a bunch of man made lies to control and manipulate the population.

maybe there is a god, or gods even... but we don't know
>>
starting with mark is good, then matthew luke and john, then acts. this should give you a good understanding of how inconsistent the gospels are with each other since they're just retellings of the same story written decades apart from one another. there's not much point in reading anything else in the bible, but the old testament has a lot of fun stories.
>>
>>18387038
That's the point. No description of God is accurate and it doesn't need to be. God isn't something you worship to save your soul. God is an integral part of the human psyche.
>>
Read through the old and new testament at the same time. While you're reading about Jesus and the significance of his teachings in the gospel and Epistles, it's also helpful to read the historical context of it all in the old testament. Since you're new to the Bible, just read both of them chronologically but also at the same time.
>>
>>18385986
John as a comparison. Then acts, Romans + Galatians and for comparison James, especially chapter 2.

Then classical church interpretations of it.
Clemens, Irenäus, Justin, Augustin, Basil, Chrysostom.

And modern theologians.
Lewis (mere Christianity) and Tillich (the courage to be) are especially worthy to be read.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.