[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Credit Card

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

I want to get a credit card to start building up credit for the future. What's a good card to get that has good rewards or benefits?
>>
Get a real credit card from a bank and use it for gas only and pay that shit off.
>>
>>18382585
Rewards and benefits should take the back seat to a low rate. Just build your credit, plenty of sites can tell you which cards you'll qualify for based on your info.
>>
If you fly a lot, get one that gives you rewards for that airline. If you don't, go for one with the lowest interest rates you can. I was dumb and I didn't, and when hard times hit it fucked me up.
>>
>>18382594
If he has little or no credit his rate is gonna suck but regardless never keep a fucking balance on credit cards or the jews win.
>>18382585
This will be helpful for you OP
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/credit-card-reference-pages/
A bit outdated but still relevant information
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/4b52x5/best_rewards_card_for_everyday_use_march_2016/
>>
>>18382594
>Rewards and benefits should take the back seat to a low rate
if the rate matters you should not have a credit card
>>
>>18382664
The rate always matters
>>
>>18382690
that's literal nonsense
>>
>>18382585
>start building up credit
>has good rewards or benefits

no starter card has this and they don't hand out credit like candy these days. go get a secured card and build it up the grinding way. it's gonna take a few years at least. also, they change how that shit is calculated all the time and there's some ridiculous number of different scores for different things. do your research, try to stay below 30% credit utilization.
>>
>>18382690
It actually shouldn't matter one bit. If you're worried about the rate it means you think you might be late on a payment to the point where that rate will take effect. It's that simple. Sure things come up and you might get caught with your pants down and could get hit with the rate but realistically even if you get sideways you should never let that happen. You should always be prepared financially. If it's a possibility in the slightest then don't get a credit card unless you're aware of the consequences of debt.

For instance when I used to open accounts at box stores to buy things I never looked at the rate because I knew I'd pay it off before the grace period. I have a near perfect credit score though in almost 20 years of never missing a single payment though.
>>
>>18382715
>no starter card has this and they don't hand out credit like candy these days. go get a secured card and build it up the grinding way. it's gonna take a few years at least.
He can go from a capital one or discover secured card to a discover it card in 6 months easily.
>>
>>18382739
You write like you're young and have never run into a medical emergency. I'm not saying your opinion is invalid at all. I may be fundamentally more conservative than you based on my experiences but the worst case scenario should be considered realistic.
>>
>>18382809
I'm in my 30's and I have been hit by medical emergencies without insurance. I've also been hit with legal issues. The medical emergencies arose from an ER visit in my 20's and I got hit with a $6,000 bill. Worst part was I was only in the ER for about 1 1/2 hours. How did I not get fucked? I had a couple grand saved up because I'm responsible. So I talked accounting and they settled on me just paying them $4,500 cash in one payment to be done with it. I'm not some nigger that's gonna walk on a hospital tab.

Years later I got hit with $9,000 worth of legal stuff. Luckily at that time I had about $30,000 in savings so that didn't bother me at all. \

Worst case scenario? You should always be prepared.
>>
>>18382809

I'm not that poster, but credit cards shouldn't exist as your medical parachute. There are alternatives for that.

OP, you're young, and have nothing in terms of credit, but PLEASE, do not use it as a loan. Too many people do. Pay it off, every single period, like it's a debit card. You can get some great benefits from it. I pay every single bill in my home on my credit card - Southwest. I get points toward travel for every dollar spent, and I haven't paid for a trip in an eternity.

But, I pay it off in full, every single month. It's free shit, if you do it right.
>>
>>18382841
How much is your daily spend if you're getting free trips without churning?
>>
>>18382585
>build credit
>good rewards

You must walk before you can run.

For now, just focus on getting good credit. You can apply for a "platinum" card (or equivalent) at your local bank. Or go for a secured card that offers NO ANNUAL FEE.

I stress the part about annual fees because, you will be stuck with it for life. If you ever close a card account, for any reason, it will harm your credit because they measure the "average lifespan" of your credit accounts. So you want to make sure you get a card that you can leave open for years, or forever, if you choose to. Don't hurt yourself in the future with something stupid like:
>Should I close this account and hurt my credit score for 7 years?
>Or should I keep paying $15 per year?
>>
>>18383404
Closed accounts continue to age until they fall off your credit after 7 years, that's when it hurts your credit score.
>>
>>18382739
>If you're worried about the rate it means you think you might be late on a payment to the point where that rate will take effect. It's that simple.

Seriously, how friggin' autistic are you?
>>
>>18382585
Remember that a credit card is not free money. Pay that shit off in full every pay cycle and before it is due. Stay 1/3 under your total credit limit.

There are some real retards on /v/
>>
>>18382585
go to a credit union thats local or near to you
ask for a credit card
ask for it to automatically withdraw from savings
voila, a debit card that builds credit.
>>
>>18382585
I use my credit card as a buffer to my bank account and to accumulate reward points.

You can only do this if you are responsible. Pay of your credit card more often than your grace period. Twice a month is usual enough for most cards, that way you don't pay any interest and only earn rewards.
If you don't have the money, don't use your card.
If you can't handle that, DONT GET ONE
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.