[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Talking With Parent In Denial?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: aaaaaaa.jpg (36KB, 640x535px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaaaa.jpg
36KB, 640x535px
>like 90 percent sure I have autism
>not even "haha, you fucking sperg" autism; like actual, clinical-grade autism based on symptoms and comorbidity with other shit I know I have
>talking with dad and sister; ask about old friend from grade school who lives in town
>apparently he isn't doing well; conversation leads to me mentioning that he's autistic and has OCD
>somebody brings up his odd gait
>sister: "But wait, anon, isn't that how YOU walk?"
>dad's tone becomes insistent and loud and he instantly asserts that I'm normal
>"But you know he's..."
>"He's UNIQUE."
>that's the end of it; sister and I left staring blankly at each other

So, he knows something and he's in denial, right? I'm not the brightest with these things, but I know that was NOT a normal reaction. I know I was tested for a bunch of shit when I was a kid and he was adamant about not medicating me even though they wanted to (which I deeply appreciate), but I don't really know anything about the results of the tests themselves.

How do I bring this up? It's frankly kind of insulting and infantilizing if this is something being hidden from me, and it would explain a lot if everybody except me just happened to be in on this.

Seriously, how would I even ask? Is there a way I can find out without going through him? A record or some shit? Should I just call my elementary school?
>>
>>18380612
Ignore your parents and get tested on your own. Where I live the minimum age to go alone is 16, but you should be over 18 if you're here.
>>
>>18380612
Based on the clarity of your writing and, even more, on your sensitivity to your father's non-verbal signals and your sister's, you do not at all sound autistic or even asperger-y.

That's not to say that there can't be something wrong that your father isn't facing up to, but I think you're barking up the wrong tree with autism.

"Dad, I don't know what it is, but I feel that I have some sort of mental limitation that is keeping me from happiness. I'm old enough and brave enoug to find out what it is. Please let me."
>>
>>18380612
what would getting tested accomplish though.
it doesn't even matter at all.
by the way, how much sun exposure do you get?
>>
>>18380612
For some reason your dad sounds like he's hiding something. From your post it's hard to tell if you're really autistic, but if it'd make you feel better why not try testing it yourself to some professional? Whatever the result is just doon't rub it in your dad's face and try to keep it to yourself unless his denial become too much to ignore.
>>
>>18380973
>you do not at all sound autistic or even asperger-y.
People who've dealt with these sort of issues learn to act and communicate normally, even if it's forced. The way in which someone types is usually not indicative of mental issues unless they're retarded.

>>18380975
If it gives OP a shot at happiness, there is no reason not to do it.
>>
>>18380612
It's better to go through life wuthout a crutch where you can say "THIS IS WHY I DO STUPID SHIT" if you can. If it's severe enough that relationships are impossible (not just troublesome) then go ahead and get tested, but my parents treated me the same way. What they're trying to do is show you that whether you like it or not you're going to have to live with yourself, whatever that means. If you have autidm, you'll have to live with it. If you have OCD, you have to live with it. Fake it till you make it. You'll always be a little "northeast" of everyone else if you catch my drift, but that doesn't mean there is anything WRONG with you. You just are what you are. You have to get used to it. If it is an unmanageable situation thwn sure, get some help, but it sounds like your dad has a lot of confidence in you. Focus on that element of his defense of you and take pride in it. Use that as your armor and you'll find it a lot easier to "fake it". You'll do fine. Just try and go out there and just be who you are. The people that will like you are worth your time, the people that won't like you aren't. I can't say how long it will take to gather the former group, but it IS worth it if you go about your relationships honestly.

Be yourself, be confident in your abity to exist as your dad is, damn anybody that suggests you should be different. If you aren't hurting anyone you're doing just fine.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.