[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to keep a positive attitude during job search?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_6421.jpg (56KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6421.jpg
56KB, 800x445px
Recent college grad looking for a job. I knew it was going to be tough and take a while but I just get depressed when I look at my inbox full of rejections and all my progress inquiries are the same. How do you keep a positive attitude doing this day in and out for what will likely be weeks?
>>
>>18373725
Honestly, you don't. In my opinion, anyway.

I don't care how much of a bullshit optimist you are. There's only so much mental gymnastics you can do to find a silver lining in constant rejection. Some people's capacity for it is greater than others, but everyone reaches a point where they just don't want to feel bad about themselves anymore.

I was on the market for 6 months after grad school and living with my parents as a 28 year old man. It sucked, and I was still luckier than most of my classmates who were on the market for upwards of a year.

The more important thing is to just keep applying and networking despite how hopeless it all seems. The only thing that's going to change the situation is putting yourself out there, even when you aren't necessarily feeling positive. If it gets really bad, step away from the process for a few days to recharge the batteries a little bit, but then get right back to it.

You can do it, OP. Dress well, and fake it till you make it.
>>
>>18373745
Well thanks, that helps a lot actually. I guess I was being a bit dramatic having been only 3 weeks.
Just got to keep moving forward.
>>
As you continue to apply for jobs it's only a matter of time before you get one. The more you apply, the faster that day will come.

Hold fast and push on. The emotional turmoil a time like this applies to you is rough as fuck. That emotional chaos will start to show in other parts of your life, like your room getting more and more disorganized, your body when you stop working out or eat like shit more often, your relationships. You are strong enough to make looking for a job your job AND repair any of the parts of your life that begin to fall apart.

I don't really consider times like these possible for full out optimism. But you can allow yourself to have faith in the percentages. The percentage chance that you'll never find a job again is incredibly low. I'd bet that's only an outcome if you quit looking. So failure is not really a possibility if you force yourself to apply for jobs like a madman.

Keep your room and living areas clean. Work your body out regardless if you want to just like you'd walk a dog that needs to expel energy each day.
>>
>>18373725
Good luck anon

I'm not so far away from standing on the intersection with a sign that says
will design cool engineering stuff for food
>>
I graduated 4 years ago and I'm still unemployed. Best of luck to you OP, you are going to need it.
>>
I just finished too and have been applying. It was my dream to move out of state and those dreams got crushed by literally 100+ rejections from every other area of the country than the one i live in. Literally every out of state place I applied to I was sent a rejection e-mail or heard nothing back. I applied to place where I hit every qualification, not even a phone interview.

I actually get calls back from companies in my area and Im hoping to get a final interview next week. Strange thing is these jobs have harder qualifications to meet than the out of state ones.

All in all I've got maybe 3 rejection e-mails today and one phone interview for HR for Friday.

I only leave the house to go to the gym and I consider hanging myself on a regular basis. I still live with my parents and consider myself a massive disappointment in every aspect.

I don't handle rejection well, never even tried getting a gf bc of it. I also have social anxiety, so this is fun to deal with during interviews.
>>
Had to quit my previous job to go to the hospital, now I'm on the job market again. So I empathize OP. All I do is hang around my apartment while I leech off of my family. I pretty much 24/7 hate myself. I keep a ratio in mind to try to lessen the blow.

1 Call back for every 100 resumes
1 Interview for every 1000

I've been told that if you don't get a job it's a blessing in disguise because you wouldn't have been a good fit for it anyways and would have hated it. I know part of it's bullshit but I try to keep it in mind.
>>
Well it's good to know I'm not the only one going through this. It could
Be a lot worse, I'm living at home so I don't have any expenses untill loan forgiveness kicks in. At what point should you bite the bullet and get some shittt job at taco bell or a library in order to at least have some income? I'm worried if I get a shit job I'll lose the energy to search for a real one. I guess I shouldn't even be thinking about that at all yet...
>>
>>18373808
We'll that sucks, the social anxiety part. I know I could do well if I had the opportunity for a call or interview and was able to make a case for
myself, but my resume is really generic.
>>
>>18373843
reddit has a section to help people improve their resume. Check that out. I get complemented by recruiters on how clean my resume is. Some big companies run them through computer software to sort them, so keep that in mind.
>>
I just gave up and became a house cleaner for a living.
>>
>>18373892
More or less this. After years of not ever getting a single reply or interview for jobs in the field that my degree is in, and getting rejected from grad schools, I've just been bouncing between shitty jobs like editing yearbook photos for Lifetouch and working in a book store warehouse. I just got a job for the summer as a referee at my local paintball place while I try to get in shape for the military. This is not what I wanted my life to be at all, but my dreams have not panned out and this seems like the only option anymore.
>>
>>18373905
It's not a bad thing if you look at college as a place to learn how to research as opposed to vocational training. I also plan on being in the military. You still earn money and if you work hard enough you can pay back your student loans.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.