[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear God please tell me how to develop discipline

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

Dear God please tell me how to develop discipline
>>
>>18370270

Find something worthwhile. Then you will apply yourself.
>>
>>18370274
I've already found several worthwhile things, it's still not enough
>>
>>18370270
I'm not the person to talk to about this, because I lack the discipline I desire as well. But maybe I can explain the process or the "theory" of achieving discipline.

Discipline is all about doing what needs to be done, even when you don't want to do it. It also entails doing it with the same degree of effort regardless of how you feel.

As an example, let's say you set out to do X pushups each day, and increase X by one every day. At first, it may seem easy. You may even find the motivation to do pushups for a few days in a row, but eventually a tiny voice in the back of your head is going to start saying, "If you don't do pushups today, no one will know but you". And you might let it slide. Or you may be sick for a couple days and not be able to do pushups, so when you get better you have to find the same motivation to get down on the floor and down your set number of pushups. This isn't the best example, but it's sort've the barest explanation of what discipline "is" and what tends to derail us from our goals.

So, now that we know what discipline is, how can we go about achieving it?

Discipline is not easily obtained. There is a reason that it is an admirable quality.

Like many things, the first step in achieving discipline is acknowledging that you have none. This goes beyong simply saying, "Man, I am so lazy!" Really analyze yourself in the mirror. Think about your past failures, ponder on the things that your lack of discipline are keeping you from achieving, but most importantly, think about your successes. What have you done in the past that you have actually stuck to? Once you have a firm grasp of where you stand on the axis of "Do or Do not", you can begin the process of undoing that which once bound you.
>>
>>18370290
>I've already found several worthwhile things, it's still not enough

Then they are not worthwhile enough.
>>
>>18370328
The second step is to set a short term goal.

When I say "short term". I mean RIGHT NOW. Look around you. Is there something you can do right now? Is there something that you could do to better your life in some way, that can be done in 5, 10, or 15 minutes? A good example would be cleaning your room, or even part of your room. Or if there is nothing else, go for a walk.

There are some important aspects to this step that need to be addressed, and you need to reflect on them as you perform the thing you set out to do.
1. Realize that YOU are able to make a conscious change in your behaviour. From this moment on you can choose to better yourself towards the road of discipline. The only person that can truly get in the way is yourself. It doesn't matter if you're depressed, if you have failed in the past, or if you have a long road ahead of you. The only person that will allow you to achieve discipline is yourself.
2. One you have set a short term goal for yourself, start doing it immediately. While performing the task, contemplate on the nature of movement, momentum, and motion. Realize that the only force that propels progress is active momentum. THINGS DO NOT GET BETTER BY STAYING STILL OR BECOMING STAGNANT. When cleaning a room, notice how everything was standing still, but you moving things out is making it cleaner and better. Much like a dirty room, you can clean your bad habits by remaining active towards that specific goal.
3. Know that there is more than one way to a goal or many goals, but you should never get distracted. You can set many goals for yourself, and as long as you are legitimately working towards one of them, you will make progress. Use this to your advantage. When you become fatigued in working towards one goal, you can find refuge in the progress towards another.
4. As soon as you have completed one goal, set another. Again, it doesn't have to be something big or groundbreaking, but you can only benefit from steadily harder goals.
>>
>>18370328
>>18370364
Thanks
>>
>>18370270
You have to burn all bridges other than the bridge of discipline. If, at any point, you have an alternative to being disciplined, you will take that alternative. You must make it so that you have NO CHOICE but to be disciplined. This means making serious changes in your personal life, 24/7, permanently.
>>
File: 168.png (23KB, 300x100px) Image search: [Google]
168.png
23KB, 300x100px
>>18370270
There's some sort of Japanese trick where you have to do something (whatever productive thing you want) for a minute at the same time every day (as in stopping whatever you're doing to do it) and in the long-term this helps your discipline, and overtime you'll feel more compelled to do more.
>>
File: IMG_3246.jpg (115KB, 1300x916px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3246.jpg
115KB, 1300x916px
>>18370270
Time for you to enlist, anon.
>>
>>18370270
Start small
>>
>>18370270
you have to see all procrastinations and all goals as challenges you need to accomplish to strengthen your will power. It takes time, its like exercise. The catch 22 is, having will power would make gaining it easy.
Dont give up, push yourself, always push yourself, it gets easier the more you do it.
>>
>>18371405
Kaizen?
>>
>>18371395
That's impractical as I need my phone and internet access for studying and running my life
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.