[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

getting a job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 8nLFCVP.png (51KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
8nLFCVP.png
51KB, 657x527px
Hey guys this is probably a pretty common kind of question you see around here. I just graduated with somewhat of a meme degree -- it's actually called "psychobio", basically just psychology with some bio classes. No job, and the only work experience I have is fast food.

So what I've been doing the past two weeks is sending out resumes using indeed.com to positions that require a degree or something and pay over 12 an hour. I really want to work with animals so I've been applying to relevant shit.

Does one ever get a job like this?...Just by sending in resumes? Or should I be trying to find a job at some local pet store instead?
>>
>>18369580
go back to mcdonalds
>>
80% of all jobs are acquired through people already in the business, so no.

Only 10% of people are actually able to get jobs, relationships, etc without any help from anyone else, or references. We live in a world where everyone is afraid you might be some psychopath so doing anything alone just makes you look like more of one.

>Why don't they have *insert any standard social position*
>They must be weird/ crazy/ gay
>>
Don't just send resumes, stop by and chat. Let them know how much you want to work for them. You could probably get something at a groomer shop or a dog daycare.
>>
>>18369602
the problem is I wasn't able to make connections in college because I went to community college for 2 years then transferred to state school for the last 2, and I come from a family that isn't connected. what would you do if you were me?
>>
>>18369624
okay thanks ill drive around
>>
>>18369580

In any and all job fields that pay anything or have any meaning, networking is key.

You need to know people, you need their eyes and ears combined with yours for finding opportunities. You need references from your professors and you need to get in contact with their contacts.

You need to meet people like you who may have the necessary information to help you succeed.

In the meantime, yes, starbucks sounds good for you.

Or you can take on a skill trade thatll teach you something new and pay you well in the meantime.

Dont stay with it though if youre worth more.

I went to trades as a last resort with my slighrly related life.

Its the best job i ever had. I also broke 2 bones this year and ive never broken anything in my life (im 30). Its a tough job and kills your body. Fun and rewarding though and a great experience to have if youre able to do it temporarily.
>>
>>18369628
You're not the only one, I'm in the same situation. You're American?

It's hard to say what you should do because we're at a point in history where information travels too quickly; there are no guarantees anymore. With the dawn of outsourcing, you are never going to be needed.

Unless you go back to school and do volunteer work at the same time, while getting someone to alter your gradeschool transcripts better than some A++ Patel Patel, I don't see how anyone born here can compete against what is essentially legal human trafficking.

Don't have any American employees to be reliable? Just import pajeet or xinglang, who works for half the pay, twice the hours, and sends all of his money home so he can work more! Genius!

If you're not a stock broker, you're pretty much losing. At least here, you are. Anyone who tells you otherwise or suggests getting more food industry or retail jobs just wants you to stay out of the way so there's less competition.
>>
>>18369650
essentially this. also, everyone else notices that something like 50% of all job postings are legit garbage right? MLM companies, life insurance companies, marketing companies. frankly I think its all shit to make the job market numbers look good. actual jobs are few and far between and they only pay slightly above minimum wage. fucking ridiculous.
>>
>>18369650
yes I know this is true and its sick but there's nothing we can do about it right? absolutely nothing. we just have to deal.
>>
>>18369709
Become a financial advisor. This puts you in the position to work with wealthy resources and self sustainability. It's almost the same as a stock broker, except you also get to tell actors and models when and where they should take vacations and whatnot.

I can't think of any other route that would set you into a position that only moves upward; not in MediaWorld.
>>
>>18369709
>nothing we can do about it right
research the end of the weimar republic.
>>
>>18369721
>Become a financial advisor
I tried this, also studied up for the series 7... no one will hire you without 7 years of advisor experience, a masters in business or finance, a cpa cert, the recommendations of the CEOs from goldman fargo and chase, and if you don't have a kippah go fuck yourself goy.
>>
>>18369748
That was part of my point earlier. Not to give up, but to wait.

The expectations that are currently set are way too fucking high and it will take the economic crash that's coming towards November for them to notice. There's nothing you can do but wait for the master's project to fail so -maybe- you can give your own idea. Until then, don't help someone who isn't helping you.
>>
>>18369649
alright, thanks. can I ask what you're doing?
>>
>>18369771
Im a scaffolder.

I did political science with minor in psychology. The difference is i dropped out. Im learning how to be an entrepreneur now but thats not 100% and until i get results im stuck as a scaffolder.
>>
>>18369769
yeah I can't wait that long. went from having a pretty successful business with a growing client list to taking on a project that was set to be the big break I needed to take my business to the next level but the people I had to work with fucked shit up but good. the resource expenditure to take on the project was something I had been planning for, but I was stupid and didn't then also plan for having resources to sue the everloving shit out of people. also I'd have had to sue a business law firm partner... so essentially a massive law firm would've been what I'd be fighting.

yeah no, I need something that pays at least 40k like now. and the only reason I can go that low is cause I got tax loopholes out the ass that I plan on using. I need shit moving now, so I can get on to my next business, cause I got a 5 year plan to keep to.
>>
>>18369793
you know the fucked up part? I've got 7 years of management experience and have owned my own company... I'm not getting call backs for even low level management positions. everything I get called for interviews in I go in and find out its some bullshit MLM or commission only sales where they "guarantee you'll make 100k+ dude, so easy" but you check their salaries online and their employees in the same positions say they're making 25k-30k a year.

fuck this society of mediocrity.
>>
>>18369809
Bro i had that problem too. Ive had two unemployment spurts and my resume is amazing (with management and even franchise running experience).

Think i could find a job? Nope... Became a carpenter. Only ones paying and hiring.
>>
File: carpentersgetallthepussy.jpg (48KB, 434x289px) Image search: [Google]
carpentersgetallthepussy.jpg
48KB, 434x289px
>>18369580
> and pay over 12 an hour.
If you wanted good pay, you should have gotten at least a business degree.

Sorry, son, but you wasted the last 4 years of your life. Now go get a job. Hit the temp agencies and, yes, fast food. Work all the angles.

You should have taken a real man's trade instead of wasting all that money on useless bullshit. You should have apprenticed in carpentry.
>>
File: mahnegro.jpg (63KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
mahnegro.jpg
63KB, 400x298px
>>18369873
Mein neiger.

Did you pull $100k last year like I did? Yeah, I know, slow year, but I'm on track to do better this year.
>>
References are everything, and I learned that the hard way. I was the third to graduate college in my family. My cousin, 4 years older, interviewed with someone who was in the same fraternity. My sister, two years older, her interviewer was also one of her part time professors in college. I've been out of a real job for two years. I applied to multiple places and few interviews here and there but no callbacks. My sister then tells me to apply for a position in her place. Like 3 days after I had the interview. 3 days after that I was told they went with someone else but the guy said he wrote me in his words 'a strongly worded and thorough letter of recommendation' because i proved valuable in the interview. Its the most promising thing i've had, and it was all through connections.

I'm not a people person, i dont keep connections long term. I'm polite and all, never been fired and always get commended at work. I just don't bond in that way. I do regret it. You need to know someone who knows someone. It is what it is.

My advice would be get yourself a 'walmart' tier job. Gotta make money. Keep looking for a real job on your off days. I was a waiter for several months. Felt pathetic since all my friends had their real jobs and I had jack shit to show for it. But get a job, and keep an ear out for any real job connection.
>>
>>18369873
>Became a carpenter
bro, how do I into carpentry job? call me stupid but I think being a carpenter in a mid sized comfy town, with a comfy family sounds like a comfy ass life.
>>
>>18369980
also, I've grown an appreciation for working with wood but don't get an opportunity to do it often. having a remodeling and commercial build out business does not often expose you to traditional woodworking. it's just nail that there, mayyyybe you get to grab a plane once in awhile. I have a need, a need for mortise and tenon joints.
>>
If there's a really good place that rejects you, offer to "intern" (volunteer) for them while you continue your job search. Be positive and do everything asked and volunteer to do more.

This helps your current job search (you can say you're currently working in the field), and if the place you're interning for has another opening while you're still looking, you'll be an obvious candidate.
>>
>>18369580
>psychobio
kek
you might get a job in the Avengers.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.