[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do psychology majors catch so much shit? i want to major

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3650.jpg (170KB, 1241x1539px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3650.jpg
170KB, 1241x1539px
why do psychology majors catch so much shit? i want to major in psych because it is something that i actually enjoy. Is it a bad idea in that case?
>>
Yes. The material itself is not very useful, and the classes are dumbed down so much that your degree isn't a useful signal to employers of any ability. It's among the worst majors.
>>
>>18367108
Yeah, it's not useful unless you're going to be a psychologist and if you're gonna be anything other than that, it should be a minor.
>>
Psychology, like political science or business, should be viewed as stepping stones towards PhD and Masters programs. They should not be a final degree.

If you think it is your 'passion' as many kids fall for that meme, by all means pursue it as a minor or double major, but have a more practical back up plan.
>>
>>18367108
>>18367121
>>18367138
what if i plan on doing more than just getting a bachelors? i initially wanted to teach but i also want to have more options available.
>>
>>18367089
A BS in psych is not Yale seriously. You need at least a masters in it to get any related work.
>>
>>18367089
you're thinking of philosophy. aint nothing wrong with psychology.
>>
You have the arrogance of stemlords because you think you're studying a science. A lot of you like to act like you're psychologists after taking PSYC101 and start sentences with 'as a psych major...' etc. Your major is saturated and there are only 10 or so places for honours year.
>>
>>18367089
Psycology is a pseudoscience. It's neuroscience minus the science
>>
I seriously wonder about your psychology if you are going to pick your major based on what other people think. How old are you?
>>
>>18367494
It's a philosophical field, not a pseudoscience. Astrology is a pseudoscience. Don't be an idiot. There's actually zero reason to compare it to neurology, which is a hard science. That's like comparing apples to oranges. Business is also a philosophy major, and you probably don't knock that. Again, don't be a dumbass. OP is obviously very impressionable and doesn't need stupid feedback.
>>
>>18367089

most people think of psychology as a really serious profession, but its not actually considered such if you look at the job market. its basically the science version of getting a literature degree. it shows people you went to college, but dont have any real world experience.

even with a psychology degree there is separate training you need to get in order to use it as a therapist or especially as a psychiatrist.
>>
>>18367089
Are you wealthy enough to go to university just to enjoy it, or are you going to university to get a job?

If the latter, what is your plan as a job? Is this degree really necessary for that job? What are all the options on how you get that job? Would any of those options make you more attractive to that job? Does the money that goes into your education balance out in what your salary would be?

If the former, do whatever the hell you want because school is fun, and you don't have to worry about this being a waste of money. You lucky bastard.
>>
>>18367528
you still need psychology courses to become a therapist, psychiatrist, industrial psychologist

so yeah people take psychology under the assumption that they'll be going into a field like that

do you even have a point?
>>
File: blankface.png (84KB, 2048x1614px) Image search: [Google]
blankface.png
84KB, 2048x1614px
>all these comments about how a psych. degree is useless
>mfw I've only had a bachelors for ten years and keep getting job offers -- just only in companies who want somebody to research how to dupe customers into buying into their business/product

Plus, psychology has a long history of being looked down on. Mainly because virtually none of what it studies is tangible (all evidence gleamed from research tends to be indirect and impressionist); which is why it's considered a soft science. Another reason being that, since it's first inception, the idea that there's a science out there that basically studies and tells you about you (which nobody likes happening to them) has always been scoffed at. And most psychological applications tend to be in research or teaching (which you need at least a masters for) and little else; one of the few exceptions, for example, being therapeutic psychology, which only requires going off your general impression of a person (or specimen) rather than anything that can drag the scientific method into the equation.

Despite that, virtually all in the STEM fields have an alarming tendency to think their field is superior, and the others not qualifying as "real" science. Even though a). No True Scotsman Fallacy; and b). science takes on a variety of forms.
>>
>>18367576
well /adv/ is about 4 bleating stupid people for every 1 quiet smart person, you know this
>>
>>18367579
>/adv/ is about 4 bleating stupid people for every 1 quiet smart person
That's oddly how I feel about Americans (being American myself).
>>
>>18367589
yep
>>
>>18367576
wtf lmao what do you do at work? like what's your job title?
>>
>>18367428
Except philosophy programs can still be rigorous
>>
>>18367400
>psych major
>wants to teach
Anon. Anon. What the fuck are you doing.
>>
In 3-5 years, the aviation industry will be screaming for employees due to retirees. Worked defense industry. Currently in aviation.

Find STEM and don't be a mind reading pussy.
>>
>>18367933
I'm chem engineering major here. You think I should switch to aerospace?
>>
>>18367940
Yes, depending on your field of study. ChemE's are in demand in propulsion, cooling, battery tech.
Just depends if you are in a desired geographical location. Current State Anon?
>>
>>18367960
I'm in socal and was thinking of going into fuels and energy. Might do nuclear for masters if I keep my nose clean. I have experience as an avionics tech right now. It's the only reason why I'd even consider aerospace.
>>
>>18367576
>Despite that, virtually all in the STEM fields have an alarming tendency to think their field is superior, and the others not qualifying as "real" science. Even though a). No True Scotsman Fallacy; and b). science takes on a variety of forms.

Science is about testable measurements and repeatable results. Soft sciences as you've admitted cannot do that. This has nothing to do with a scotsman fallacy. You don't need to be in STEM to have a worthwhile degree, but many of them are an absolute joke.
>>
Psychology is the new English or philosophy.
>>
I have an associates in IT but it didn't seem partiucarly satisfying to despite the fact that I am fairly well versed in coumputer science; I figured that basic programming skills are useful for any degree so why not just get seperate degree; I considered Political science, Philospy and psychology because I am interested in these subjects. I got in contact and intitated the process of chainging major. I asked around for advice on the interent and the general idea was that it's a useless degree and while I didn't take them too seriously at first, I can now see where they are coming from; The curriculum is dumbed down and really basic dumbed down. I don't think i will change major after all.

I am enrolled in introductry psych degree now and
>>
>western education

your degrees are all worthless, thats why you outsource and braindrain
>>
Britfag here.

I have a degree in psychology and really love the subject. It's true that it can lead to little but now I teach it so all worked out in the end I guess.
>>
>>18367089
Ignore trolls. Here's the truth.

STEM majors have a head start in the job market because they have what amounts to job training - a higher level of a plumber who went to trade school. But they are limited to the specific trade they trained for, and if jobs there dry up, they're screwed.

liberal Arts majors aren't trained for any specific job, so they have the handicap of having to sell themselves to employers, convincing them that, say, a psychology major makes them a good prospect for the job.

But the upsides are two - first, you can apply for a wide range of jobs, just about anything not too technical. And second, while your knowledge of psychology might not get you a job, the skills you picked up in your studies can.

You are better than 90% of the population at reading and absorbing difficult material, of translating statistical data into real person terms, at analyzing people's motivations, at writing coherently, and so on. And those can be presented to employers as just what they're looking for in sales, marketing, management, etc. etc
>>
>>18367494
Psychology is the study of the mind. Neuroscience is the study of the brain. There's a difference.
>>
>>18367576
>mfw I've only had a bachelors for ten years and keep getting job offers -- just only in companies who want somebody to research how to dupe customers into buying into their business/product
I would get the same offers from car dealers and insurance companies on job boards, because they think because I studied communications, I know how to coerce and manipulate people into buying their product/service. I can but I won't.
>>
>>18367980
>Science is about testable measurements and repeatable results. Soft sciences as you've admitted cannot do that.
There are things that are reproducible in psychology, such as the Milgram experiment and the Stanford prison experiment.
>>
>>18367089
2 year psychology elective student here. I also love it and i quit when i shouldnt have.

>why do they catch shit

Because psychologist and therapist arent protected terms. Anyone can take a short and totally non scientific course and become one. Most psychologists and therapists took this route.

And so when people with no education in the matter (which is fine. Cant expect everyone to know or care about everything) they envision freud who was an unscientific sack of crap, jung, and men in sweater vests asking where your father is.

They rightfully believe those people are entirely full of shit then cast that judgement on the entire field.

>should i quit

No. Its your passion. And there is work for you, and there is extremely important science and research to be done that we need you to do.

And some people who do understand the difference desperately need your help.
>>
>>18367980
>>18369294

I agree with both of you.

Truth is with psychology you can establish very real trends and very hard data about a population or demographic. This information is extremely useful for a lot of things. Marketing for example benefits huge from psychology. If youre targetting an entire group you can use objective psychology to appeal to them and get exactly what you want. We can also very accurately predict what behaviour to expect out of a crowd or group of people given certain situations. Even video games and movies are now designed around psychology because we know how exactly how to make something appealing or addictive to most people.

But unfortunately psychology being the wild subjective beast it is, all rules fly out the window of a speeding train the moment you try to apply it to an individual.

Its still useful in treatment but unfortunately individual humans aren't a simple mathematic algorithm.

If there was an algorithm that predicted a single humans entire personality and behaviour, it would be a very long and complex one with infinite variables.

Maybe some better than human AI system that doesnt exist yet will figure it out. We sure wont.
>>
>>18369294
>Stanford prison experiment.
>reproductible

ffs.
I'm a psychology major, I wanted to defend psychology as a hard science citing some reproductible experiments
But then you came with this bullshit. With one of the most methodologically bullshittish experimnts mankind ever knew.

psychology does better without you. please, don't defend it ever again
>>
>>18367527
>psych major detected.
kek
>>
>>18367089
Psych is a meme degree, and will most likely never get you a job.
Also, psychiatry is leftwing propaganda, so you're not going to make a lot of friends in the business world.
>>
>>18370216
Someone agreed with anon. I'm not a psychologist though.
>>
>>18367089
Ask Tom Cruise
>>
unless you want to be a therapist, researcher, or professor, do not do it.
>>
>>18367089
If you can do it for 30 years, that's great. I like it too.
>>18367400
You can get your master's degree in a lot of interesting shit with an undergraduate in psychology. Talk to your University about what options you have (especially Public Health).
>>18371123
Fiction. Plenty of academic fields follow a BS in Psychology.
>>18370297
Fiction, memes.
>>
>>18371139

which is why I said professor.
>>
>>18371198
You...don't know what an academic is, do you? Fucking summer in here.
>>
>>18371209

What is an academic, friendo
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.