[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Minimum Wage Hike

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: sss.jpg (40KB, 491x491px) Image search: [Google]
sss.jpg
40KB, 491x491px
Can /adv/ explain what the heck is gonna happen to employee salaries when the government decides to do a minimum wage increase? The govt in my province just """promised""" to increase our minimum wage almost 50% and I'm curious how fucked I'm gonna get as someone who makes only slightly above the current minimum (The proposed increase would be higher than my hourly wage).

Are we going to enter a paradise where everyone gets a raise equivalent to our old wage, or are we just gonna get our hours cut and contracts terminated while the survivors get the mythical raise?
>>
Big companies make big profits. If it's law they have to pay or they will close it down dumbass
>>
>>18365213
The company you work at will not magically need less people in order to get the work done. Unless the whole company goes down because of the wage increase, you aren't really in danger
>>
No one knows. Thats why I hate these crazies in governmemt pulling levers in our economy that they don't understand. Even the most junior programed knows not to do this.
>>
>>18365213
Companies NEED employees. In some cases they pay you the lowest amount because honestly, you are too dumb to make unios and pressure them to raise it or find better paying job. So yes, in this case they will just raise the pay.

Some companies are so shit or in so high competitive market that raising wages in your country will make them unable to compete with foreign ones. So they will either close, import illegal immigrants to do work cheaply or outsource work to elsewhere. In any case, you may lose your job.

Tldr, if youvare working for minimum wage, you are either super lazy or super dumb. Your best bet is to get better job where you are payed more than human slave.

Cheers.
>>
>>18365213
ontario right? I agree a $15/hour minimum is batshit insane. It unfortunately means that cost of living is going to increase as well. By 2019 my $630/month rent will likely be closer to a full grand. Not that I'm going to be in the same place in 2019 but still. Shit's ridiculous.
>>
In reality, your company will probably lay off some people claiming they can't make money anymore. Your job will probably get a little harder. They likely won't raise you proportionally with your current salary.

That said, it sounds like you're an unskilled worker with little to offer, so you should be doing a happy dance about this.
>>
One bedroom in Austin TX is 1100 month .way over priced and under paid but they keep raising property taxes to collect revenue and sell property
>>
I did a bunch of manual jobs when I was younger. I eventually got my degree (while working manual jobs) and entered the relative land of milk of honey of middle management office work.

What happened with that? Well for a while I managed to convince myself that I was working really hard in a really meaningful position, but with time it just became this asinine world of nonsense where I felt that I was being kept like some kind of caged animal to piss away my youth and vitality in some artificial world of bullshit.

Couldn't make it feel meaningful or real. Couldn't get promotions because I was so cynical. I was very good at my role, but acting all the time. Eventually I had to go and do something more practical and hands on.

Don't get me wrong, it allowed me to buy and pay for a house, but I now work in a relatively manual role within an industry which is considered creative. But it isn't very well paid in proportion to how demanding the role is. As a result it gets a bum rap for being for the less intelligent, but I can categorically state that this is not the case after seeing both sides.

Working a lame office job I basically did nothing at all with some really lame and boring people who were unable to really think of anything positive to go after than money. At the moment I work with a mixture of people, most of which I would describe as highly skilled and intelligent eccentrics who work for love not money. As a result I'd be wary of anybody who claims that people who earn a low wage must just be stupid or flawed in some way. There are many reasons people choose to do what the do and the system we live within is designed for some people to 'fail'. It isn't a true meritocracy.

A minimum wage increase will likely do some weird things to our company, mostly though I'm sure our lying and poverty pleading boss will just have to have less money. Why don't we all demand more money? Because it is a prestigious and creative role and people queue up to work for free.
>>
>>18365460
Not necessarily true.

The higher the minimum wage goes, the more likely a company will look to automation and software to run its business. If fast food workers get to $15, you will see automated menus taking orders, which means fewer low-rung workers being employed.

At some point in time automation and cutting costs will outweigh minimum wage.
>>
>>18365525
>if youvare working for minimum wage, you are either super lazy or super dumb
Not true. Minimum wage jobs are a great starting point for untrained workers, and yes uneducated workers. It gives them a starting point, skills in the workplace and a reference to move to a better job. This is what most people don't understand. A $15 minimum wage means fewer people will get their foot in the door and will stay unemployed longer.
>>
>>18365626
Pretty sure automation is already cheaper virtually everywhere and the main thing that's in the way of fast food employers is clients who are bad with machines
>>
>>18365632
that will pass. you have kids on phones and computers and they can order for their tech-deprived parents and grandparents.
>>
>>18365832
This has nothing whatsoever to do with OP's question though
>>
Look at what happenedin Seatle after they made the minimum pay 15$
>>
https://www.inc.com/magazine/201511/paul-keegan/does-more-pay-mean-more-growth.html

Interesting read.
>>
>>18365525
>Tldr, if youvare working for minimum wage, you are either super lazy or super dumb. Your best bet is to get better job where you are payed more than human slave.

This isn't even remotely true, where do you people get this crap from?
>>
>>18365536
shit dude I already pay a grand in my bumfuck area of florida while making $8.25/hr
>>
Hey guys OP here, thanks for all the replies and opinions, especially you /biz/ guys telling me to git skilled and get a better job.

>mfw this thread has more replies than provincial government's approval rating
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.