[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asshole uni tutor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: behelit.gif (2MB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
behelit.gif
2MB, 500x375px
Got a fail grade for an assignment I worked really hard for. Literally a poor mark in every single criteria for the assessment rubric save for one. I believe my tutor and whoever else had a hand in marking my work are being a bunch of assholes. I can take criticism and understand that my work isn't perfect by any means, but failing me seems a tad excessive. I did (or at least I think I did) everything the assessment asked me to do and I wasn't even allowed to pass. How does this happen and what can I do about it? I'm thinking of disputing the result but I doubt anything will come of it
>>
>>18360133
>I can take criticism and understand that my work isn't perfect by any means, but failing me seems a tad excessive. I did (or at least I think I did) everything the assessment asked me to do and I wasn't even allowed to pass. How does this happen and what can I do about it?

This is what you tell the person in charge of your grade. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
>>
>>18360153
See the thing is I got a poor grade for another assignment in the same class earlier in the semester and I did dispute it, however my tutor basically told me "deal with it everyone got a bad mark lol" (not really but that's basically what he said). I'm struggling to understand what the course conveners have to gain by giving out shit grades? If I got around 60% I could deal with it just fine, but a fail grade for bullshit reasons pisses me off
>>
>>18360133
I study physics and here if lab assignment doesn't pass mean you have to do everything again. It means you have to fix the problems they pointed out and then just return it. At least to me it's uncommon to just pass right away.
>>
>>18360133
not sure where you are from, but usually tutors aren't allow to grade you.

if you seriously think your grading was unfair, talk to your student council
>>
>>18360224
I don't know the inner machinations of how grades are marked, fro what I understand its the tutor who collaborates with other tutors and the course conveners in order to give out marks. Isn't that how it works?
>>
>>18360272

You sound retarded. Read your syllabus? Talk to your professor?
>>
>>18360280
Dude just because I don't know how it works doesn't make a retard. Either tell me how the system actually works or fucking kill yourself
>>
>>18360296

Confirmed retard (delayed in terms of progress)

Specifically, ignorant, yes, but retarded in the sense that you won't learn how it works

We can't tell you because it's in your syllabus, and your professor knows

That's how "the system" works, when you're talking to strangers on the internet who can't possibly know the details and yet want to help your entitled and troubled self

You fuck
>>
>>18360309
>is on an advice board
>gives out insults instead of actual advice
You stupid nigger. You inbred ape. You waste of child support. I may be ignorant but that in itself says nothing about my intelligence. I don't even care to know how the marking system works, what I do know is that my tutor is the one who provides feedback based on his own opinions on my work. How he comes to his conclusions, whether by himself, with the collaboration of others, or is he sees it in a prophetic dream, is utterly irrelevant. You're the one who brought it up and I was simply pondering the question. I don't know how the system works in other universities but surely there must be some overarching similarities which is why I fucking asked. Unironically buy a rope from the store, tie it to a tree branch and hang yourself with it you gibbering fucktard
>>
>>18360328

Yeah, the "actual advice" regarding "how does this happen" was "find out, here's a couple places to start"

Enjoy your grade (and I'll go out on a prophetic limb here and add "the rest of your difficult, clueless life) sweetheart
>>
>>18360337
>sweetheart
Fag. Also nice reddit spacing, idiot
>>
>>18360133
Professor writing here.

One of the hardest things for students to grasp - and I really have sympathy for them over this - is that you can work very hard at studying or writing an assignment and still fail - because you did the wrong thing.

It's easy to imagine it in math. Let's say you're trying to learn what 2+2=. You get it in your head that 2+2=5, and you study really, really, really hard to drill that into your memory. And then you write 2+2=5 on a test, and fail even though you worked so hard.

In other fields, like history or literature, things may not seem so obviously 'right' and 'wrong' as in math. The equivalent is misunderstanding the assignment and answering the questions.

Let's say in History the job is to analyse the economic causes of WW1. You somehow misread the assignment, and instead write a biography of a leading general in WW1. EVEN IF your biography is brilliant, you'll get an F because in the simplest meaning of the word you will have failed to do the assigned job.

Talk to your tutor. I can virtually guarantee that you failed, not because what you wrote was all bad ideas, but because you didn't do the assignment but did something else.
>>
>>18360133
If you have to blame literally everyone else for your mistakes it's probably just your own fault.
Get good, stupid.
>>
>>18360224
It's probably similar to a TA or GA.

>>18360133
what were the assignment?
what did you do?
what is the grade for this assignment? (don't tell me it's 0 lol)

I was a GA for a class, and there was very clear criteria for grading.
If you solution differs too much from the given solution, and further more you did not answer what was asked, you will get a poor grade. I had a case, the question asked to use LDA and nearest neighbor to classify MNIST dataset, this guy wrote a program that gave very low accuracy and wrote two pages exposition on the choice of metric and Frobenius norm, which takes a lot of time, but isn't what was asked, and further more it isn't difficult for any math student to write.
The main thing to consider is I have to be fair to other students, I understand that you put a lot of effort in, but if you couldn't do what everyone else could do, then you will lose marks, and if you spend time rewriting common knowledge, I can't just give you the same mark as some guy who could solve half the assignment. Of course I will give some marks for the effort, but that alone might not be enough to pass. So the student above got 5/20. I can't just give him 10/20 for the effort alone, because what he wrote any other guy in the class could've written, but they got no mark for it since it wasn't asked.

If you intend to talk to your professor about this, remember to make a case that the extra marks you think you should get for your effort is fair to other students. i.e. try to argue that, even though you failed to do what others do, you also did something others failed to do. Otherwise, he can't help you. That would be unethical, how could anyone know that you actually worked harder than the other guy who submitted a concise solution? he also has many other things to deal with.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.