[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

books

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: s-l400.jpg (29KB, 400x266px) Image search: [Google]
s-l400.jpg
29KB, 400x266px
i am thinking about reading now, im 25.

what books should i read?
>>
Go to >>>/lit/ and ask them the same question. Write them down on a list and go the library or a book store because reading a physical book is so much comfier than reading e-books on your phone. Now go look around and get any book not on the list.
>>
thanks bro/ u suk
>>
Read: Mein Kamph and The Protocols Of The Learned Elders Of Zion.
>>
>>18356382
what would you like to read?
it's like asking "what music should I listen?"
>>
>>18356382
>>18356382
>Crime and Punishment
>The Idiot
>Demons
>The Brothers Karamazov
by Dostoyevsky

Will change your life if you manage to understand them.
>>
Start with the Greeks.
>>
>>18356394
>>18357545
/thread
>>
>>18356382
Start with something cheeky like Don Quixote (you can also do a warm up with Dickens, say Oliver Twist or Tale of Two Cities), go to Les Miserables and from then out you can give Slaughterhouse 5 and Catch 22 a try, finish your first journey with a doorstopper by Tolstoy. Then add Ulysses for the very end so you can impress your friends.

Also give Flaubert, George Eliot, Hemingway, Dostoyevsky, Nabokov, Atwood, Márquez, Wilde and Wallace a try. Check their bibliographies and pick whatever sounds interesting. Some Goethe short-stories won't hurt either. If you're Amerifat, Moby Dick is pretty much required reading too I guess.
>>
>>18357579
>Then add Ulysses for the very end...

Honestly I'm more impressed by people who took a look and dumped it for the wankfest trash it is.
>>
don't overthink it. jumping into these old literary classics would be like having never watched movies and starting with german expressionism or some avant guarde french bullshit. just go to a bookstore and grab whatever is in the POPULAR BEST SELLER BOOKS EVERY MOM AT THE BEACH IS READING display. it will be fun to read, and actually help you start cultivating this new habit.
>>
>>18357590
>the wankfest trash
It might be but the writing is still great. Woolf summed it up pretty well:
>''I finished 'Ulysses' and think it is a mis-fire. Genius it has, I think; but of the inferior water. The book is diffuse. It is brackish. It is pretentious. It is underbred, not only in the obvious sense, but in the literary sense. A first-rate writer, I mean, respects writing too much to be tricky; startling; doing stunts.''

>>18357597
That would be equivalent of trying vidya with some top 10 chart shit or movies with whatever airs in the cinema. Way too hit and miss and shit could kill the desire to try more. Obviously it'd be crazy to start with Sartre or Nietzsche but world literature is a decent call, since it wouldn't become as popular if it were too obscure.
>>
File: storm 05.jpg (153KB, 825x1132px) Image search: [Google]
storm 05.jpg
153KB, 825x1132px
>>18356382
When I was 14-17 years old, I was reading the Origin of Species by Charles Darwin, The Brother's Karamazov by Dostoevsky, the Odyssey of Homer, those sorts of books.

Now I'm a 25 year old man and just spent the weekend reading 20 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man starring Miles Morales.

Basically read whatever books interest you, don't give a damn what others think. Your reading time is YOUR reading time.
>>
George Orwells 1984
Its a good entry level book that isnt young adult fantasy garbage.
I honestly think that it should be a required read nowadays.
If you just want the skinny version, read Animal Farm by Orwell.
>>
naruto
>>
>>18356382
JFC anon there are a trillion books and we dont know you where do we even start.
>>
Way too old you missed the boat
should've done that when you were kid and your head was a sponge instead of stupid shit hahahah
>>
hitchhikers guide to the galaxy (the whole series)
the prince
intelligent investor
art of war
tao te ching
the inferno
rework
>>
>>18358902
also some really old shit I remember reading as a kid that I remember being good

>flowers for algernon
>the well world series (if you can find a single book)
>>
The Valachi papers
>>
>>18357517
Dude i totally agree. Crime and Punishment was truly beautifly incredible, and hit me in my deepest parts of my soul.
>>
>>18358894
false
anon is still a kid because of no reading
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.