[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Switch?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: imgres.jpg (9KB, 292x173px)
imgres.jpg
9KB, 292x173px
So I am not really a gamer at all, but have a 10 year old son and another 6 year old son. They both got straight A's this year so want to reward them with their first real game console.

We are going on several trips this summer, too, so the switch seems perfect.

Is this a good plan? Pros?
cons?
>>
>>18354880
It's a good idea due to it being portable and easily lasting 4 to 6 hours. And the fact it plays console level games.

The only con I would think about is the wifi is not perfect right now and that is mostly Nintendos fault. They need to patch it up.
>>
>>18354888
trips means business.

Thanks. Anyone else?

can I just get the basic model and have them buy the upgrades? I have them on allowances and they earn good money doing extra stuff. I am trying to teach them to earn what they want and to save for bigger items instead of blowing their cash on junk. This seems like a good chance for them to learn some of these skills.
>>
>>18354896
sounds good anon. just make sure they dont spend all their time playing games and start slacking off in school.
>>
>>18354880
>giving kids video games
>ever a good idea
Why don't you just reward them with new textbooks? Kids love textbooks.
>>
>>18354896
Yeah that seems like a good idea. It comes with plenty of accessories already, maybe give them one game to go with it, since it doesn't come with any.
>>
>>18354880
Rewarding your kids for getting good grades isn't something you should do. Doing well in life is something that should be constant and expected of them, who's going to 'reward' them when they move out and go to college? Don't give them an incentive to do well in life, tell them that it's necessary. Why not save the gift for a birthday or Christmas?
>>
>>18355228
My parents did this (never rewarded me, expected me to do well no matter what) and I ended up being a worthless NEET who hates himself. Kinda wish they supported me a little better when I was younger and maybe encouraged me in ways other than threats.
>>
I'd recommend 2DS/3DS age appropriately. Bonus is that they're easily hackable for free games and have lots of multiplayer titles and all-ages friendly stuff.

The Switch is neat but has very few games and the screen scratches /really/ easily.
>>
>>18355228
This is the stupidest fucking post I've seen today
>>
Get them gaming PC's if you can afford it, they're better in almost every way except for ridiculous price
>>
>>18355228
Are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>18354880
it's a pretty solid pick. The switch is great for kids

You could also get a PS4, it has a lot more games to try out, especially all the Lego and Skylanders games
>>
>>18355228
ABA therapist here

if you want to replicate a behavior, reward it. That's, like, one of the fundamental laws of the universe, dude
>>
>>18355704
this. the 2ds especially is really hard to break and really cheap to replace. the switch is double the cost, way harder to find and breaks more easily. especially for the 6yo, get a 2ds
>>
>>18354880
Nintendo is always at the forefront of family games and the portability sounds like something you'd value. The main arguments against it surround graphics, processing power, and frames per second, but that's more for us 20-somethings to bitch over and not something kids that age would notice or care about.

There also aren't a lot of games out at the moment, so keep that in mind, but there's a few new good games launching in the summer so maybe you can mete them out as surprises or further rewards.

My only advice would be to look for any bundles or deals with games. You could get it now and it wouldn't be a big deal, but with the summer coming up there'll likely be some consoles with games included if you care about value.

And Splatoon 2 comes out July 21 so get that. It's a fucking fantastic shooter that is totally family friendly.
>>
>>18354880
>cons?
yeah there's two of them
>>
>>18355704
Eh, the 3DS is on it's way out now that the Switch is on the market, but it's a good option if cost is a concern.

However, if he goes that route I'd say to get them both 2DSes. That way there's no jealousy that one got a cooler one than the other and most games have stopped giving a shit about the 3D aspect and the games are almost unplayable with it on. Pokemon in particular has massive framerate issues with the 3D turned on.
>>
>>18357059
What are they?
>>
>>18357072
It's a joke. The two grey parts of controller on the box come off and can be used as individual controllers. They are called joycons.

The Switch has TWO joyCONS.
>>
You're the parent, and the kids are under your jurisdiction, but please: don't ever get them into video games. Encourage reading. Tutor them in mathematics far beyond their schooling. Force them to find an interest and encourage intellectual growth

You have no idea how much I wish my parents had done that rather than just give me video games and candy for "rewards"
>>
>>18354880
Why would you reward them with a toy instead something useful? Besides, giving them money and letting them handle it in a way they seem best is much better.

Whether rewarding kids for doing good in school at 10/6 is a good idea is another topic.

>>18355264
Not him and my mom did reward me for stupid crap like getting transferred to an elite school (PS2) and it didn't work for too long, since the rewards they could give me afterwards couldn't motivate me anymore after getting trained to respond to rewards and not learn for myself. Took me a while to get rid of the "is what mom is giving me worth the effort" thinking. Obviously parents should encourage their kids and threats are a horrible method but rewards are pretty silly too. People are a bit more complex than dogs and should be treated accordingly.
>>
>>18357100

This is fucking stupid. My love for videogames and the creativity and adventurous spirit it fostered in me is why I have a well paying job in tech today. If my parents had just made me sit there and do fucking math problems all day, I'd have given up on everything and hated math.

Anyways OP, it's not a terrible idea, but the Switch's main game is Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and it's a single player game, that takes a LONG time to beat. It's not a game that has a bunch of separate save files in a way that would be easy for kids to choose between, and all of the weapons in the game "break," so I could see your 10 year old getting super mad that his little brother played on his file and essentially broke his toy, because the kid might not be able to realize what he's doing.

Plus there's the whole issue of being able to take the system on the go, taking it out of the dock. I could imagine a ton of fights between brothers when one takes the system out and hides it in their room.

Finally, the two controllers that are attached to the system are pretty expensive to replace. (New joy cons are $80 for a pair.) You can't play single player games without both, really, so if one kid is more irresponsible, you're looking at a more costly replacement fee. Plus the games are very tiny... think like the size of an SD card for a phone or camera. Easy to lose.

If I were you I'd look into buying them a PS4 or Xbox, where you can keep better track of the console and the controllers and games. Maybe get them both each a 2DS/3DS with the money you'll save getting one of those consoles instead of the Switch. That way they'll both have systems that are "theirs" to bring on trips. Plus games are cheaper, giving them something more realistic to save up to with their allowance.
>>
>>18355228
>>18357116

When you move out and go to college and get a job, you get "rewarded" with a raise or promotion. Unless you work for a shitty fucking company and are one of those "I'm just proud to make money for someone else with 40+ hours of my life weekly" types.
>>
>>18357100
Thinking of the two as being antithetical is kind of a shitty way to look at it. You should always nurture a child's abilities, but it shouldn't be at the expense of them having fun. I've always loved video games, but I've also always had a shitload of books around so I grew up enjoying both. If it becomes a problem that games are taking them away from doing other stuff then you should intervene, but it's no different from them watching TV or playing a board game or whatever. Everyone likes to relax with something mindless and fun and it only becomes a problem when it's at the expense of other activities. It's the same for you and me as it is for kids and if it's a problem the parent must step in to help them regulate and understand the importance of moderation and finding a balance between work and play. That's a lesson more people need.

>>18357116
At that age I seriously doubt that money management is something they should/can start learning. And I think this is a fair reward for the end of the school year. It's not some regular reward that will put them in a "is what I'm getting worth the effort" kinda deal, but if the kids have been good and working well throughout the year giving them something fun for the summer doesn't sound like that damning a thing to do.
>>
>>18357100
>don't ever get them into video games
I played online games obsessively and now I make six figures with that same obsessive streak
>>
File: 1483813884734.jpg (201KB, 1020x1125px)
1483813884734.jpg
201KB, 1020x1125px
>>18354896
>talks about trips
>doesn't even check them
>>
>>18357142
> you get "rewarded" with a raise or promotion
If you actively seek it out and do the right things. Simply working won't get you shit. Besides it's a different scenario either, the only job of your company is to reward you. A parents role is more supportive and complex.

>>18357143
Well, not at 6 but 10 is a pretty good age to start. I think I saved up the 250 bucks needed for a PSP when I was 12, so not that much older. Besides it'd be two birds with one stone.

>giving them something fun for the summer doesn't sound like that damning a thing to do
It's not, just surely there is a better way? Of all the potential fun things to do, gaming and watching TV are the most empty ones. Something more sport-y or artsy would be fun but also further help their development in one way or another. Something like a trip would add completely new experiences. Basically almost everything would accomplish multiple goals. Unless they drone on all the time over how bad they want the Switch, it's a pretty lazy reward.
>>
>>18357170

Every promotion or raise I've ever gotten I haven't had to ask for. It's been given to me for consistently good work.
>>
>>18355228
Please never get any pets or have children.
>>
Video games will ruin your children.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.