[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need direction in life

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: killme.jpg (52KB, 600x812px) Image search: [Google]
killme.jpg
52KB, 600x812px
I'm almost 27 and I have an associates in arts/general studies but I never went to university after graduating because I couldn't decide what to go to school for.

I graduated almost 6 years ago and I work at costco for 14 dollars an hour and its slowly crushing my spirit. I don't know if returning to college is the right path or if I should look into a skilled trade of some sort.

All I know is I can't stay where I'm at now but I have no idea which direction to go in. Anyone else whos been in my position have any insight? I find the idea of a skilled trade appealing because the school/training will take less time for me to start making some money.
>>
>>18353896
I feel like you went for an associates in art for a specific reason, its not generally a degree that people just "decide" to do out of the blue like compsci

you're halfway to a bachelor's, why not go all the way? sounds like you have a steady job paying twice the minimum wage.
>>
>>18353918
I really did it because it was just something general I could do and not just tread water so to speak.

I like the idea of getting a bachelors but in what? I constantly hear about people getting bachelors and ending up 30k+ in debt with no job prospects. I think i'm a good student I had a 3.8 GPA in community college (granted it was pretty general stuff so most of the classes were easy) but I'm borderline retarded with math and I'm afraid of going into debt to pay for my bachelors and just wind up where im at now with no job prospects.

This could just be my narrow view of things but that is my general perception of it.
>>
>>18353928
>I really did it because it was just something general I could do and not just tread water so to speak.
>I like the idea of getting a bachelors but in what?
so you have no long-term career goals, dreams, or ambitions???

shit, I would figure that out first. you can't "tread water" forever (I mean you can but it might suck)

also worrying about debt and job prospects is secondary to figuring out what you want to do. there are always other options (scholarships, financial aid, dual majors, foreign universities, etc)
>>
>>18353934
not to say you should forget about debt completely, mind you

its a huge issue and there have been thousands of threads about it, whether or not its worth the risk, etc.

my point is just that you should figure out what you want to do in life, before trying to measure the pros and cons of different options. you need a goal because clearly you aren't happy with what you're doing.
>>
>>18353934
Only ambitions I have are to make decent money and not be miserable, I'm in a serious committed relationship right now and it's motivating me to want to be better and more stable.

I'm not really passionate about anything except maybe weight loss because i've lost 114lbs and I like to help other people with it. I've been trying to figure it out for some time now but I just can't seem to get anywhere.

Any aptitude tests or books you would recommend? i'm about to read "What Color Is Your Parachute" in hopes of finding some inspiration.

I figured if all else fails I could just stick with Costco and move into management where i'd make a lot of money and have good benefits but the job would be pretty miserable.
>>
bump for interest
>>
>>18353951
>I'm not really passionate about anything
I find this EXTREMELY hard to believe

why not become a personal trainer or gym coach?
>>
>>18354159
I'm sure I do have something I could be passionate about I just haven't really found it or I don't know the answer yet

>personal training/coach
yeah I thought about that, just worried about the job security and unstable income aspect of that.
>>
>>18353896
MOCC man it's what everyone else does after Community College and it's cheap maybe you can take a class in coding, web development maybe 3D find something you like to do and go for it.
>>
What are your hobbies? Is there any way to make any of them into a vocation? Are there things that aren't necessarily hobbies but you could see yourself doing as a job?

If no to all of the above, look up some job descriptions for art related jobs in all sorts of fields and have a try in your spare time to see if it's something you could do.

I am about to turn 25 and up until very recently I have been in a very similar boat to you, feeling directionless and not really knowing what I want to dedicate my time to career-wise. I have always had creative hobbies but it took me a really long time to figure out how to make a career from one of them. It took a LOT of introspection and research to settle on something, but I decided to go with VFX and have a very good chance of being placed after finishing my studies.
>>
Are you of average intelligence or more?

Leave the country. Go somewhere else, somewhere cheaper. Southern Europe or Asia.

You'll quickly find many jobs lining up for you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.