[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is embarrassing but....i want to make games as a living

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

(sorry for my shitty english)
Short story: should i try to become a game developer?

LONG story:
i have always wanted to make videogames as a living. Watching game desing videos, readings stuff, etc.
i'm basically a walking "game desing" encyclopedia....BUT, i just recently starting learning programing(thanks college!) and actually doing things in order to accomplish this stupid dream.
I only have 4 years until i finish college and have to get a "real" job so i made a plan:

*first year(this one):
-learn "at least" one programming language(currently learning C++, it quite easy but i think i will try java next)
-get a "gamedev" program (i got game maker studio because Unity is mostly desing for 3d games and 2D is my jam)
-don't be an idiot and learn to use the program, watch tutorials, practice, etc (i already started this one)
-learn pixelart (i haven't started, but i will spend at least 2-3 hours at week during the first year)

*Second Year:
-start making small projects(nothing that takes more than 1-2 months) just to practice in general.

*First half of the third year:
-Make a game in 6 months (the objective of this step is to test my skills until this point. I want to know what i'm capable of making for the next step)

*second half of the third year and fourth year:
-Make a "legit" videogame in this time(i'm not gonna be stupid and try to make Undertale. I'm just going to do the best i can do with my skills and time)
-Sell the game
-????
-profit

Cons:
-i would have to do this while i study
-i know the "theory" of game-making but i have no practice so i'm starting pretty much from zero
-fuck my free time :)
-i may fail....

Pros:
-I WANTED TO DO THIS SHIT SINCE I WA A KID
-i know that being a gamedev is not the most rentable job, but i don't care about having a lot of money if i can make games for the rest of my life and get paid for it.
-My BF fully supports me(he is a nice artist and is willing to help me)
>>
>>18350706
you won't fail if you try hard enough and you should try enough to achieve ur dreams, go do it faggot
>>
>>18350706
OP here
Pros continued: i have a friend who composes music(is not that good but is something) and also knows animation(she is PRETTY good at that) and she's also willing to help

SO.......should i go for it? do you have any advice? should i change my plan?
>>
>>18350709
i suggest you stick to your college but in the meantime you can still learn stuff on your own, independently of the college course. even if you fail, you'll have more knowledge than other students in a similar field and you could get a job at bigger companies.
>>
>>18350706
Your plan seems reasonable. Just know that as fun as games are, the industry is awful and you aren't going to make much money. That should not stop you from living out your dream, though. There is very little more satisfying than setting out to accomplish a creative work that you believe in, and finishing it to your satisfaction.

Make sure you keep your initial small projects small. It's easy to bite off more than you can chew at the start.

Having friends help you is great. Just make sure they are reliable and as committed as you are, or that you delegate them tasks that match their level of commitment. You don't want to be overly relying on someone who is only half-heartedly doing their job because they lack the same vision.

As an indie lead designer you will also have to act as the producer, which means finding talent with enough drive to make your idea become real. Obviously you dont want your project to get in the way of your friendships, and vice versa. This will be a test not of your coding or game design knowledge, but of your management skills. You can take on the bulk of the labor yourself, but knowing how to properly delegate can help you reach your goals more quickly and in the best cases will deliver a superior product.
>>
OP here
>>18350707
thanks a lot for that :'D

>>18350715
Sounds logic.
I guess that way i would either become a gamedev or have a better job than anyone else

>>18350722
I know that sadly, gamedev is a dangerous adventure, but i need to try at least

Not bitting more of what i can chew, got it!

Thats the best advice someone has told me this far. i think that's going to be the hardest part of the journey because of my shitty social skills.
In the other hand, my BF understands my ideas with zero problems so that part is fine(i hope)
thanks again, i will do my best!"
>>
>>18350706
go on twitter and in the search type in #indiedev #indiegame #gamedev. (Try all 3 at same time and individually). Those are the people you should be following. If you don't have a twitter make one.
follow @gamasutra

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/JeffreyNielson/20170505/297318/Making_it_Work_as_a_Solo_Game_Developer.php

On youtube follow GDC, Extra Credits, GDquest, Sunder, TheHappieCat, Extra Credits, Mark Brown, fullindie, indiecade, Game Soup, HeavyEyed, razbuten, Red Angel and HeartBeast. Good luck.
>>
>>18351174
HOLY FUCK!!
THANKS A LOT!!
i never tough a short post would help me so much
>>
You have a strong goal and a deadline to accomplish it. You learned everything you could about it and you have a plan to accomplish that goal. I have no doubt in my mind you will succeed. Good luck.
>>
>>18351174
Also follow the YouTube channel sup holmes. Full of interviews with indie developers
>>
>>18351180
Youre welcome
>>
I'm a game developer, OP. I'm going to the office now, but I'll post in a couple of hours to share my thoughts and views
>>
>>18351225
thanks again

>>18351209
Thank you buddy, this makes want to screencap this thread just to remenber the day 4chan wasn't a dick to me

>>18351248
woah, i would love to see that
thanks in advance
>>
>>18351248
Thread could get archived. Should leave a blog link or something.
>>
>>18351260
Also follow on YouTube indieformer and get indie gaming
>>
>>18351264
OP here
does it work if i bump every so often?
>>
Op my friend, looks like we share the same dream, so I'd like to add on because I have a question that relates to yours.
How does one go about mastering the aspects of every craft in game development? Between programming, design, art, sound, game play, etc, how can one person alone master all these concepts especially considering they take both the mathematical and the artistic part of the brain to accomplish? I believe games have the highest potential of art and entertainment since they access all parts of the brain to create, and in result produce entertainment, which is amazing! But if one man has an ambitious dream to masterful craft something that must access all parts of how he thinks in the name of spreading happiness, is the only way years of dedication? I assume yes which is fine, but I can't help but feel having fellow team members to join you would make things easier and better, but Im unsure. Should I be pursuiting people who I can work together with or continuing to hone my skills I'm every regard? Wouldn't it be better to get a group of people who have mastered each aspect? Or master it all your self?
( as pretentious as I am, I hope my view has helped you a little bit.)
>>
>>18351279
OP here
I understand your feelings....
for me, the only two things i have kind of learned this far is art(mostly because is my hobby since many years) and coding
you CAN make something by yourself if you have the guts as far as i know(AKA: Undertale, Cave Story,etc)
I follow a latin gamedev who is pretty much an expert on everything and his anwser to this stuff is pretty much "make games and you will get better at making games" art, conding, etc

I'm know almost as much as you do, but i hope this helps
>>
>>18351276
I guess im kinda new to 4chan lol. If you leave some type of contact info like a kik or twitter we can talk more. Im the guy whos been giving you the YouTube channels and the twitter suggestion lol.
>>
>>18351300
Eeehhh
i don't have a twitter yet sooo. that's a problem
i can go as far giving my gmail
My info data in that mail is mostly fake so i don't mind sharing it
>>
>>18351296
You'll eventually have to recruit a person or two since learning to compose takes longer than coding or/and animation. That's where kickstarter comes in if you never find someone
>>
>>18351306
Ok that works. The three parallel dots at the corner of your post use that to delete it after 15 seconds
>>
>>18351326
I got it
>>
>>18351296
I see, we do have limitless potential as people. It's funny, I have all my projects written down and the order in which I'd like to do them. I even have why/how the games will be fun for the player and so on. I got the inspiration down pat, but now I need to start some perspiration.
All I want is to spread happiness to others through my love of games,
Thanks op, I wish you the best of luck on your projects.
>>
>>18351328
done then
>>
>>18351333
Email has been sent jaja
>>
>>18351332
THAT'S SOUNDS GREAT!!
if you already have your ideas clear is only matter of knowing where to start.
You first need to make the mechanics of the game and them proceed to fleshout the rest

You need to think whats more important to make first
things like music and sounds can go at the end, art and level desing comes after the mechanics of the game are working
>>
>>18351337
>>18351337
OP
>jaja
supongo que el destino une a los latinos
>>
>>18350706
>become a game developer
Keep in mind that you cant become a "game developer", but you can become a developer for sure. This means, that whatever you develop isnt necessarily a game. If you enjoy programming, do so.
>>
>>18351344
Pues parese jaja
>>
>>18351348
Bingo, it's not as linear as let's say singing lessons. Unless you want to make another 2D platformer
>>
>>18350706
How can someone so fucking determined fail
protip: impossible
Is the second year purely to small projects or that + keep learning things from year 1?
Either way you can do it OP, I can only encourage you... And remind you to not stress your brain out in the process, you're only starting. I see a sweet and bright future ahead of you

PD: what niggers have to say isn't important
>>
>>18351360
Hey nobody shitted on OP. Keep the racism somewhere loser
>>
>>18351360
OP
Just working on small projects

AND....i know how stupid all of this sounds and maybe 4 years is not enough but i can't just give up and not try
even if i fail, i would still having all the experience i collected!
>>
>>18351362
I was talking about OP's pic

>>18351375
I don't see how it is stupid. You can do a lot in 4 years, and it's not like you couldn't keep progressing after that
>>
>>18351394
I think i misunderstood your comment then hehe.
thanks!
>>
>>18351394
For fuck's sake! It's like a terrible knock of a digimon in the actual color, black. No excuse for your bullshit. Keep it up and you'll slip up in real life with the wrong person.
>>
File: 5la09xgyt5ty.jpg (99KB, 1440x1440px) Image search: [Google]
5la09xgyt5ty.jpg
99KB, 1440x1440px
Just a question, but why do you feel the need to learn how to create pixel art? As far as I am aware, there are several departments working together within game development studios. Not to say that generalists are not appreciated, just that you should eventually specialize and focus your attention on what you're most good at. I believe you've alraedy recognized this, because you're partnering with a friend to compose your soundtrack for you, instead of learning how to do it yourself. If programming is your thing, great.

Study up on computer science theories. Read technical papers; educate yourself. Find out what the largest industry conferences (not E3) are (for computer graphics it's ACM SIGGRAPH) and get involved. Additionally, research work conditions in the games industry. I'd suggest using glassdoor.com.

Your semester ended, probably, but don't slack off over the summer! Stay persistant if you really want this.
>>
Okay, OP. I'm this guy >>18351248

I've been in in the industry for around three years now. I primarily work with AR/VR development using Unreal Engine 4/Unity.

>>18350706
You're on the right path with the programming lanugage bit. Learn as much as you can on your data structures and algorithms. While learning how to program, have a go at Maya or Blender. If you're interested in 2D, start seeing how sprites and stuff work. By working on these things as well, you will have a good idea on how assets are created for a game, and how they're imported and developed with in game engines.

Before jumping right off the bat to a game engine like unity/unreal, try learning how a game engine works. Look up a scripting language like lua and how you can use it to interact with a barebones game engine written in C++. After you have a good understanding of a game engine, decide whether you want to work develop PC games/ mobile games.

If deciding for a 2D game, go with Unity. Unity is not for 'mostly designing' 3d games, a vast majority of mobile games are built on Unity. If you want to work on 3D, go with Unreal. Unity is fucking crap compared to Unreal.

And, don't mistake your love for games as the same as developing it. Developing it is fun only if you're interested in programming. Fire away any questions you might have
>>
>>18351915
>Developing it is fun only if you're interested in programming

unless you're into asset creation and the designing stage
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.