[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this quote just a feel-good meme or does it contain some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

Is this quote just a feel-good meme or does it contain some degree of truth?
>>
>>18346744

As long the basic needs are met, I don't see why it wouldn't be the truth.
>>
>>18346757
It just feels weird to me. Maybe I'm just too used to search happiness elsewhere.

I should work on my point of view then.
>>
At least partially true.
>>
>>18346744
>Is this quote just a feel-good meme
Yes.
>does it contain some degree of truth?
Yes.
>>
>>18346766
What would be a more correct version of it? "As long as the basic needs are satisfied, happiness depends on your prespective"?
>>
>>18346775
No.
>The degree to which external conditions influence happiness is mediated by mental attitude.
>>
>>18346785
So this means that a person that has a very luxurious life style can feel like trapped in hell and an african warlord in the middle of war can feel like in heaven if they're convinced enough?
>>
>>18346793
Sorta. My rephrasing rejects the premise, which is why the meme is popular, that all you have to do is ignore what's going on outside of you to feel good in life. That premise is flawed on numerous grounds, the least of which is because such an outcome would be a pyrrhic victory: You'd likely be giving up on success and so forth in order to just convince yourself that you're happy... to the extent that such an outcome is possible.

The major flaw in the original quote, at least for the premise it's being vomited about on social media, is that happiness *is*, in fact, related to external factors. But the degree to which, and manner in which, those external factors influence and affect your happiness depends on how your mental processes interpret those external factors.

So, to the extent that someone surrounded by luxury could have a mind that interprets that luxury as stagnation, that person could feel trapped in hell. And, to the extent that a warlord in the middle of war has a mind that interprets that war as carrying out a divine cause, he could feel like he's in heaven.
>>
>>18346816
That was a clear explanation. Thank you anon.
>>
>>18346744
Both.
You can't expect to be happy all the time, or sad.
But you can tackle some moments with a little more positivity, even if it doesn't call for it, and ease it a little better.
>>
>>18346744
define truth, then define happiness.
there are entire schools of philosophy based on that idea, such as stoicism and epicureism.
>>
>>18346744
I believe happiness is part habit and part genetic. Like many things, it can be trained towards unless your brain is one of your organs that is fucked.
>>
>>18346744

its fairly applicable to most modern peoples in western cultures that arent minorities and who arent stuck in a marriage or have kids imo.
>>
>>18346744
It's hurr-durr pretend everything is okay and everything is your fault nonsense
>>
>>18347992
>hey guys I can list off imaginary depictions of stereotyped people in my head who I assume would be happier than me so I'm going to be pissed off and assume that they should be happy because I refuse to or can't understand their frame of reference

This is fairly applicable to you, I think, but I'm not sure :/
Use fewer memes less time and maybe you won't draw my ire
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.