[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

K-12 teaching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

Currently an engineering student who are getting mediocre grades without any internship. Seeing people around my level of skills and grades graduating ahead of me, I don't think I'll be able to break into the engineering field.

I've been thinking about teaching middle school or high school level math/physics as a backup plan.
How difficult is it to get a teaching job? Is it competitive?
How much weight would they put on my academic history?
>>
Don't compare yourself to your peers. Compare yourself to the curriculum. This is unhealthy behavior and you're just going to keep second guessing like this.

Look up impostor syndrome. It's a thing, and you're not alone.
>>
>>18344526
Yeah, serious issue for grad students too.

Teaching depends on where you live, and what extra education you get in terms of competitiveness. If you're in america you pretty much can get a guaranteed job in teaching through teachers for america program. Prove yourself and you'll have a job for a life time.

No, literally NO ONE gives a fuck about your college gpa unless you're an engineer with only a bachelors. ffs it doesnt even really affect your chances for grad school in a huge way.

With a masters and 15ish years experience you can make as much as 90k a year as an elementary school teacher (yes even kindergarten which only have half days) in some states. And considering the job is typically 8 hours a day or less a day AND you only work 9 months out the year is a pretty good fucking deal..
>>
>>18344526
>Impostor syndrome
Damn, it seems to really explain so much of my personal struggle, even outside of my education.
Though I do have legitimate problems with work ethics and general laziness, constantly bashing myself with sense of inadequacy is only making things worse.

I still find my chances of employment in the future quite low, but I'll try to keep these things in mind.

>>18344567
>Teach for America
The interview/resume process seems quite selective, but it sounds like a promising program.
It looks like they have recruitment at my uni, I'll look into it and apply for it next year.
>>
I'm a CS student literally faking it till I make it , getting by through raw charisma, google-fu, and knowing right people.

I'm in a worse boat than you OP, desu maybe I should consider teaching but I don't know what a CS major can teach, I always thought you needed a teaching degree or a diploma or a cert to do it
>>
Suicide?
>>
>>18344491
Fuck off
>>
>>18344491
Teaching has to be a calling, not a fall-back. It has to be the thing you'd rather do than anything else, to make it worthwhile.

The teaching itself is great. The problem is everything else - paperwork, dealing with irate parents ("Why did my kid get only a B?"), dealing with administration, dealing with state interference ("Why are your kids' test scores a decimal point lower than the state average?"), budget cuts.

Unless you get immense satisfaction from the teaching part and can't imagine yourself doing anything else, the rest of the job isn't worth it.

It is certainly not something you do because you're not good enough at your first profession.
>>
>>18346226
Nope.
>>
>>18346226
You're probably right, the idea only came to me because majority of my family and relatives are in education.
And I didn't want to let years of college education going to waste, so I thought I might as well share it with kids.

Still, I'm quite scared of falling back to the comfort of NEET/minimum wage lifestyle and never getting out.
Any recommendation on what I could do? I will definitely apply for engineering jobs once I do graduate, but it would require tremendous amount of luck for me to make it through
>>
I have 2 duis, could i still be a teacher?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.