[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much of a fit is my roommate reasonably allowed to throw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
How much of a fit is my roommate reasonably allowed to throw about our internet speeds? The guy pays a flat fee to the house and gets pissed off when I stream something and he gets lag in Overwatch/League/whatever the fuck he's playing.

I think he should go fuck himself and I should be able to use the web as much as I want, whenever I want, just like him. Should I shut it down so he can play his vidya?
>>
File: 1452649331239.png (60KB, 608x608px) Image search: [Google]
1452649331239.png
60KB, 608x608px
>>18340784
Get better internet you shitpipe. There's no excuse for not being able to support 8+ machines in heavy traffic in 2017.
>>
One thing to consider is that it may not be streaming that causes lag. Your Internet may just be not good for gaming. You should spend some time confirming that you streaming is actually interfering with his gaming use.

Obviously there is no such thing as 'as much as you want' because there is a limited amount to go around. Either shell out for more bandwidth or define a schedule where you each switch off.
>>
>>18340789

As far as I know, my house is stuck with some shitty service. I've had the people out here, and I've basically just learned to live with it. There isn't a better service I can buy, and no one is gonna fix it. I'd love it if there were some competition here, but it's Cox for broadband, and CenturyLink if I want to cheap out and get DSL.

>>18340805
If we're both off after 5 and have to be in bed for work between 10-12, there's not much time for "switching off."

It's not fair to me to need to switch to DVDs or books because he wants to play games at maximum performance. We could both stream a movie at the same time, he's just mad his sniper shot missed.
>>
>>18340784
>streaming
You're the faggot here
Nobody gives a shit about your stream
>>
If it's that much of a problem for him, he should get a personal bottom-tier DSL line to his room for $14/month.

Also it's possible that his lag is because of issues with WiFi rather than actual network lag. You can get all kinds of weird fucking shit when you've got one wireless AP for the whole house and there's a large amount of traffic flowing across it at all times.
>>
>>18341051

I meant streaming Netflix or Hulu you absolute faggot.
>>
>>18340821
Who cares? You both cant use the internet in the ways you want to at the same time. Hence, you must compromise. If you are streaming shit, you're using up three times the bandwidth he is. If you cant switch hourly, switch daily. Surely you dont need to be on netflix every single day. This is part of being a roomate. You have to find a way to share split resources.

You sound quite spoiled and selfish desu.
>>
>>18341178
Oh you are so full of shit. Odds are the streaming isn't even the culprit. Online gaming uses, at most, 1 kilobyte/second of bandwidth. It's a fucking trickle. OP is not eating up 100% of his entire house's bandwidth while he's watching a movie.

I all but guarantee this guy shuts the fuck up if he uses an ethernet cable instead of wireless.
>>
>>18341189
Working to fix the lag is the first thing I recommended ITT. Keep up. see >>18340805

OP is just being a massive baby and wants to sit on his ass and watch netflix all day. Its fairly pathetic.
>>
Tell him to either pay for better Internet or shut the fuck up
>>
>>18340784
You are telling me that your internet service provider only provides one option for internet speeds?

Most intro or cheap ones where i live are like 20-30 bucks a month but are like max 3mbs whereas i pay 50 to get 50mbs
>>
>>18341178

He doesn't have to shut his shit off for me to have a lag free experience watching some TV. He can still play his game offline, or play other games. I have to shut off the service I pay for, and not use my TV, for him. I just want to come home and watch some goddamned TV and use the internet. He wants everyone off it so he can "game to the optimum level."
>>
>>18341201
He sounds like an ass, either he is pulling huge amounts of mbps because he is streaming, or if he isnt he likely just sucks and blames it on lag..

If no one else is having problems then put it on him to talk to the owner to upgrade your service since he has repeatedly claimed to need more of the internet service than anyone in the entire house has ever needed.
>>
>>18341201
Try seeing it from his perspective. I'm imagining your roommate posting a very similar thread on /adv/

>He doesn't have to shut his shit off for me to watch videos. He can still watch DVDs, or shows he downloaded overnight. I have to quit my game that I paid for, and not use my computer, for him. I just want to come home and play some video games and use the internet. He wants everyone off it so he can "zone out to Family Guy."

This is literally part of having a roommate. If you hate it so much move out.
>>
>>18341212
Except this isn't the fucking problem, and we'd be telling the OP of that thread to fucking troubleshoot his connection before leaping to conclusions about what his roommate's usage is doing.

Seriously, this guy just needs to plug in and it'll work fine.
>>
>>18341217
OP doesnt give a shit about his roommate, that's the problem. OP thinks he has exclusive access to everything in the house, just because. Yes, the roommate can maybe fix it by improving the setup. Maybe not. But that's irrelevant to the core problem, which is OP's ridiculous self obsession. As far as I can tell, OP would have no problem banging pots and pans outside his roommate's door all night because "hurr durr I can do whatever I want"
>>
>>18341212
OP here. If you need a perfect ping for your games, pay the money for it, or move into a house that has it. I don't want to pay extra money each month so this guy can get grumpy losing in whatever his flavor of the month game is. He knew what was bought when he moved in.
>>
>>18341252
Jesus. I think you're self-inserting into the roommate's position a little too easily. The guy is bitching about his shitty game on the assumption that some other network activity caused lag. That is the most massive load of shit ever, and everyone who's used a computer for more than a week knows better. OP's roommate is trying to treat him like an edgy teen treats his parents.
>>
File: b8.png (8KB, 284x177px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
8KB, 284x177px
>>18341252
come off it, seriously you are reaching pretty far..

Everyone else in the house has no problems, never has, this one roommate does. He is the odd one out. The internet is perfectly fine FOR EVERYONE INCLUDING WHEN THEY ARE ON NETFLIX. So obviously the service is more than enough FOR EVERYONE BUT THIS ROOMMATE. By basic fucking logic he must be using or require more internet than others. Thus he should pay more for a higher service or fuck off.
>>
Configure QoS on the router.
>>
>>18340784
Set aside one hour a night for streaming or other bandwidth-hungry activities. Everyone else gives up their computers for that time, and then the streamer stops and everyone is limited to normal usage. If need be, you can sign up for that hour or own it on alternate nights.
>>
>>18340784
How fucking shit is your pipe that one person streaming fucks over the tiny tiny amount of bandwidth needed for video gaming

Unless you're on a pipe in the kilobits that shouldn't happen.

Your internet is probably just high jitter
>>
File: download (1)(3).jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download (1)(3).jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>>18340784
None lol he's the roommate if he has an issue he can pack his shit
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.