[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is human contact when it comes to one's mental

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: arthur-fist-620x413.jpg (22KB, 620x413px) Image search: [Google]
arthur-fist-620x413.jpg
22KB, 620x413px
How important is human contact when it comes to one's mental health?

I've had issues with social anxiety, depression, and anger for a long time. But they've all gotten exponentially worse since I've been a NEET for the last two years (I quit my job and dropped out of school due to health issues). Social anxiety is going to get understandably worse when you isolate yourself I suppose. But holy shit, my anger has gone from bad to out of control. Petty shit from years ago makes me so angry that I can start punching myself in the face.

I didn't have a social life before I was a NEET, but I still talked to people a decent amount at work and at school. Do you think I need to find a way to get some basic human contact back in my life? If so, how?
>>
>>18340427
Yes you do, and the easiest and quickest way is to find a hobby, if you don't have one, and use that as a medium to communicate with other people. Depending if you're introverted or extroverted, try to find a good balance of online and irl interaction. For an introvert like me, I balance things like 40% irl and 60% online; it keeps me from feeling mentally worn out.
>>
How are you supporting yourself?
>>
>>18340455
I'm guessing 4chan doesn't count as online communication. You mean stuff like skype?

>>18340460
living with mom. i'm 24 and i feel pretty pathetic about it
>>
>>18340471
4chan wouldnt be the ideal example because of the lack of identity and skype works if youre comfortable showing yourself. What hobbies do you have?
>>
>>18340427
Hey OP. I know this isn't really what you asked but people who become neets also tend to neglect their physical health. I don't think humans were meant to sit around and have no physical stress. I suggest you figure out a physical exercise goal and stick to it for a month and see if your mood improves. It helped me a ton.
Even if it's just a 3 times a week jog.
>>
>>18340476
i go to the gym a few times a week but i keep my headphones. im too scared to strike up a conversation with anyone

I was never the most confident guy in the world, but I've lost all of my confidence since I quit working.
>>
>>18340489
*keep my headphones in my ears
>>
>>18340471
>i feel pretty pathetic about it
So do something about it, get a job or go back to school. You can't just stay a neet forever.
>>
>>18340494
I know. As I said, I have some health issues that put me in this situation. My doc thinks it might be crohn's or ulcerative colitis.

But I can't let those issues hold me back any longer. I need to get an easy part time job just to get the ball rolling. I think even 10 hours a week at McDonald's would help me start to crawl out of this pit.

I tried taking some online courses earlier this year, but it didn't work for me. Wasn't interested in the material, didn't get me around other people, just a waste of time really
>>
>>18340504
Going out and working can help you out of your shell, especially in a team environment. Just be wary that food service and customer service escalate between good and bad days pretty quickly; it depends on who you work with. As far as the gym anxiety goes, start out small. Ask for a spot at the freeweights or how to do an excerise and go from there. Be wary here too, becuase not everybody at the gym will be talkative. Some are there just to work out, so dont be upset if they dont talk much. Do you have any other hobbies?
>>
>>18340590
I like to watch sports, can i do anything with that?
>>
>>18340606
Congrats, you have something in common with 90% of people everywhere. Talking about sports is a great icebreaker in nearly every circumstance from what I've seen. It works great as a conversation topic, or even filler, and it can segway into other topics. Your sports knowledge is what I would use, if I was you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.