[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any advice for someone that wants to manage or quit alcohol,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: Four Loko Watermelon.jpg (225KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Four Loko Watermelon.jpg
225KB, 1200x1600px
Any advice for someone that wants to manage or quit alcohol, but hasn't had success with AA?

Open to any ideas, really.
>>
How much and how often do you drink, OP?
>>
>>18340241
Ya sure let me just pull some generic advice on a person that won't even bother to explain their story.
>>
>>18340241
I was able to quit right of the bat cold turkey. Im a head strong person who accomplishes set goals though. The shitty thing is i ended up having terrible withdrawls after 1+ year a pint of whiskey+beer everyday (<didn't think i was going to get WD's) that gave me hypoglycemia in the aftermath. Its curable but the last 3 months have been hell. Can't eat carbs, need to stay away from processed sugers, and i can't smoke cannabis. though, i need sugers through protein only (doctors said i needed carbs and sugers it only got worst, nutritionist who had it as a child and cured his told me to stay away from carbs and sugar, never been better since i quit taking the docs advice...)

I've been clean of everything for 3 months with no issues and im someone who has been high everyday for the past 8 years
Don't go cold turkey and cut your drinking my a large portion and wing it off while keeping up a good diet to ignore my shit situation.
>>
>>18340241
I listened to a news story once that said AA is not the most effective way to quit drinking. There are other programs out there, but I'm not familiar with any of them.
>>
>>18340246

I've been drinking pretty consistently for about 10 years, about 10 drinks a day. I've gone cold turkey a few times with success for a few months, but it always breaks.

I just recently stopped drinking for three months, and it was the first time that I noticed a difference between what it was like drinking, and what it was like to be sober - namely, I was less tired.

I've been drinking again, and it hasn't been as good as it used to be, but all of my attempts at AA haven't taken, because I can't relate to any sponsors. I'm a pretty responsible guy, so I don't have much to reach for that's a "bottom," and I'm not religious at all, so I have a hard time considering myself powerless.
>>
I'm in intensive therapy right now after a suicide attempt a few months ago. I just broke up with my girlfriend a week ago and feel like absolute shite. Every time I've felt like this I've gone straight to drinking but I've promised my friends, family, and therapists that I won't do that this time. I guess I just distract myself with videogames/cigarettes/talking to people about how I feel. Basically cold turkey. It's hard as fuck but every day I feel proud of myself for not drinking. Dunno if that helps but my advice would just be get more involved with things and people around you. Don't be afraid to lean on people.
>>
>>18340241
Try some magic mushrooms or lsd. Meditate.
>>
File: 67oqtoxma48y.gif (587KB, 245x190px) Image search: [Google]
67oqtoxma48y.gif
587KB, 245x190px
>>18340597
>>18340597
>>18340597
>>18340597
>>18340597

>>18340241

OP . . . I thought I was bad for drinking 2-3 beers a day.

See a Doctor you dumbass. NO AA . . . Start exercising to get rid of some of your stress. . . and just build your life up to better conditions
>>
Op why did AA not work for you?
>>
>>18340765

I think I explained it in the followup post, but the people there, and the situations they were in, don't mesh with me, along with the religious aspect.

I'm a very controlled alcoholic. I get a safe ride home, I never get into conflict, work never sees me coming in and lagging behind. I make nearly six figures, and that makes it hard to relate. Drinking is also a part of my corporate culture, and part of my job.

When I go to AA, and again, I've tried different meetings, I don't get the kind of help that suits my lifestyle. A guy telling me about the death of his kid driving him to drink, or a gambler who lost his money... someone who is really, really, in need of help. I haven't been there. It's hard to get help with drinking when it's more a part of culture than anything.

When I stop drinking, it's purely on willpower. I put the bottle down, I don't go to the store for more... there's nothing easier than NOT doing something. But people ask questions. They wonder why. "Getting in shape," I say, and the results prove themselves out. I shed weight, and look great, but they know I'm coming back.

AA doesn't teach me how to be stuck in a place where I can't avoid it, without telling me to leave it entirely. Well how would I make money, then?
>>
>>18340810
Self Management And Recovery Training - SMART

Therest are more but that's the only one that comes to mind. There are groups/meetings out there that are CBT that emphasize on the rooted mental aspects of drinking and have no mention or feeling of religion. Taught me about how to deal with life after sobering up.
>>
Another option is to ask a doctor to put you on antabuse. It works really, really well on compulsive alcoholics so long as they keep taking it. It works by causing an interaction with the alcohol when you metabolize it and makes you feel like you're having the worst hangover of your life. After one or two nights you can't even look at alcohol without feeling sick. Otherwise the drug doesn't affect you at all.
>>
>>18340241
I feel you OP. AA varies chapter by chapter and some of them are this weird cult. I think the main benefit of them is to have a community of sober friends.

I would see a doctor for how to safely detox (don't quit cold turkey because withdrawal can literally kill you) and then see a therapist for quitting; mention your issues with AA.

>>18340810
Have you read the book Dry by Augusten Burroughs? Might be a useful perspective; he got to be an alcoholic because he worked in advertising and it came with the culture.
>>
>>18340241
naltrexone
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.