[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where did the "buzz" go?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I'm 27 years old.
I've started drinking when I was 18, and consumption of weed started just a bit earlier.
Always been getting a nice buzz (unless I was in a high tolerance period, of course).
A couple of years ago, I started taking medications for depression, then I stopped because of side effects, and after a while I started taking new meds.
The doctor told me that - in order for the meds to "work" - I'd have to avoid consumption of alcohol and cannbinoids, but I gave exactly zero fucks (albeit I started using less of those).
In the last couple of months, it feels like I'm in a constant state of extremely high tolerance: it takes A LOT to get just slightly drunk/high.
Now, these substances are - along with eating - the only pleasures I have in this cursed life, and the idea of them suddenly not working anymore is kinda scary.

Does anyone on /adv/ have experience with similar sudden changes?

TL;DR: Booze'n'weed can't get me as high as they used to. What do?
>>
Go find alc thread on /ck/
>>
Well, from what I know about tolerance and the human neural circuits, it sounds like the medications you were taking for depression coupled with the alcohol and weed (which you shouldn't have been using you fucking idiot) resulted in a permanent potentiation of the circuits involved in getting your buzz. Basically you made the neurons that control tolerance of these systems to overwork themselves and your body permanently reinforced itself to protect itself and make the whole process more efficient and less taxing.
What this means if I'm right is that you're going to maintain your extremely high tolerance for good, and it will never go back to how it used to be. At best, with enough time passing, your tolerance will decrease slightly.
This is why you don't go against your doctor's orders. There are plenty of other things that could have resulted from mixing those things that won't manifest themselves for years to come, and the damage you may have done could be far worse than being unable to get drunk or high easily.

And a warning - you may not be able to feel the effects of those things unless you take large amounts, but your body does. If you're smart and you don't want to kill yourself, then don't drink to get drunk as the toxicity of the alcohol hasn't changed regardless of how much you feel your buzz.
>>
>>18339216
list your meds bruh
>>
>pump body full of the liquid and herbal jews
>get financially and emotionally jewed
>try to solve this by signing up for the pharmaceutical jew
>get financially and emotionally jewed some more
Maybe it's time to accept how pumping substances into your body as an emotional crutch is ruining your life.
And before people tell me to go back to /pol/, I'm not a zero tolerance faggot, either. Weed and alcohol are fun drugs, but only if you go into using them in a state where you respect yourself, and don't have pending problems to solve that you would be hiding from.
I guarantee that if you go sober for a while, do serious things to improve your life, and then continue the use of drugs in a better state of mind, the buzz is going to return.
Alternatively, you can waste your one and only life contihuing to do exactly what you do now, and die as nothing more than a consumer who has left behind no legacy worth mentioning on this planet.
It's up to you.
>>
>>18339216
Take a tolerance break.

I have a naturally high tolerance. Back in college it would take me many more hits to get high smoking then it would my friends. So we would put in for a blunt. In the end I wanted another and they wouldnt, so i would take more hits. That way with alcohol too. So I would start combining the too. Worked for a bit.

But a tolerance break is the best cure. Take like a month off. Then just one hit and you'll be high as a kite
>>
>>18339391
I hope you're wrong.

>>18339781
I was taking Solian (amisulpride), Brintellix (vortioxetine) and Anafranil (clomipramine).
>>
>>18340135
You were on or still are on a dopamine antagonist which could explain the lack of pleasurable feelings.
>>
It's probably the meds dude. What're you taking them for?
>>
>>18339391
>>18340135
I have a degree in neuroscience and I don't think this is the case at all. The only one of those meds that could really be "working" synergistically with alcohol is the Solian (and you should not be drinking on antipsychotics), and it's possible that the combination of the two basically increased your tolerance by virtue of hitting your system with more "drunk" (gonna oversimplify here for brevity). Your nervous system wants to maintain equilibrium so it will adjust to being flooded regularly with exogenous chemicals by making the flooded state the new "normal" and therefore require a bigger flood to get the "altered" effect. However, this will go back to normal tolerance if you abstain from drinking/meds. None of the meds you listed have similar mechanisms to cannabinoids.

Depending on which meds you're still on, you might be experiencing a more global phenomenon of your emotional responses being "evened out." You may be getting less pleasure from being drunk, you may be getting less emotional reward signals from addictive behaviors, you might also just have built up a greater tolerance through years of drinking. Note that we sometimes prescribe these meds to normalize compulsive behaviors, gambling addictions, etc. so it could be that they're just working as desired.

The fact that you're on some heavy duty meds and your concern is that you enjoy substance abuse less (and think of it as your only pleasure in a cursed life) is a troubling reflection on your mental state, and I would encourage you to explore this further in treatment. Consider also that you might just... be getting better? People sometimes lose interest in their vices when their emotional health improves.
>>
>>18341054
You just restated what I said with slightly different wording
>>
>>18341054
How is a dopamine antagonist any way synergistic with a gaba and nmda modulator?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.