[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I was at the bar last night hanging out with some friends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: cold-sore.jpg (55KB, 450x303px) Image search: [Google]
cold-sore.jpg
55KB, 450x303px
So, I was at the bar last night hanging out with some friends and having a few drinks. I accidentally kissed someone with a cold sore, now I'm flipping out. It was a quick peck on the lips, and right after I went to the bathroom and washed my mouth off with liquid soap. What is the likelihood I contracted it? How long will it take for it to show if I DID get it? What should I be looking for?

Fml...
>>
>>18334626

Go to the doctor immediately, if you've contracted a disease you might be able to eliminate it before it entrenches itself.
>>
>>18334626
it's called HSV-1, look it up & the symptoms. you can find an ETA for symptoms and all answers to your questions in Google.

you will get one or two, and then it will never happen again as your body makes immunity to it.
>>
>>18334673
.....I don't think thats a thing.
>>
>>18334683
I thought you get them for the rest of your life.

I already feel my lips burning kinda, even though it just happened last night. Maybe it's psychosomatic? Does it kick in that fast?
>>
>>18334689
It kicks in very fast. The first infection kicks in within 48 hours and you aren't out of the woods until a week has passed.

how hsv works
>the kiss transfers the virus particles is extruded in the sore area, the sore is where the immune system is battle it, so it has a lot of white blood cells and thus you see the blister/sore.
>the virus needs to enter the cells. this happens fast.
>virus in cells replicate
>cells burst and spread newly replicated the virus to surrounding cells. your body doesn't have an immune response, this happens again and again over days until you have symptoms.
>if you feel localized tingling it, and see redness within the next 24 hours, this is the effect of that replication cycle
>if this happens, your first infection will last a week and the virus, being clever, hides some of its particles within nerve cells, cells they hide within but never use for replication.
>once its in there, your set for life but good news
>its always gonna be in the same area (because it infects one nerve path/cell
>its gonna happen irregularly and the first outbreak will always be the worst
>its takes 1 week to recover

also

>the virus cannot live long outside of the body
>washing your mouth after the fact does nothing
>>
>>18334786
Great...so I fucking have herpes now...

Is there a chance I DIDN'T catch it?
>>
>>18334786
>*WARNING*

this is important

when you get your first infection, which might be happening now, YOU NEED TO NEVER TOUCH THAT SPOT WHICH BURNS/TINGLES EVER UNTIL THE SORE DISAPPEARS OR A WEEK HAS PAST.

The reason for this is simple: HSV-2/HSV-1 can infect various areas of the body from skin, to fingers (herpetic whitlow), to eyes (most dangerous), to your penis. After your first infection your body has some immune response to the virus which becomes stronger and stronger after multiple infections. BUT you are never cured, the battle still lasts a week. The stronger immune response protects you from autoinoculation of the virus to other areas of your body.

SO DO NOT EVER TOUCH THE SPOT EVER FOR THE FIRST INFECTION.
>>
>>18334797
Once the particles are on your lip or anywhere, its all chance. The virus enters the cell as soon as it can and within the cell, it attempts to hijack the cell to reproduce. When it is in the cell there is no immune response to be trigger, disinfecting, doing anything won't do squat. It's a matter really of chance, once the virus enters one cell, what it can do to replicate and thus giving itself more chances to infect other cells. There is a tipping point, that's when the immune response kicks in (you get a sore) but at this point its too because the virus has flooded basically the surrounding tissue with replicants.

You just have to watch the symptoms. Once symptoms are registering, you have it forever.
>>
>>18334810
Does that only go for when it's an open sore?
>>
>>18334821
Fuck man... FUCK.

Why the hell haven't they cured this? I really hope I don't have it. I already have enough wrong with me, I can't do this shit.
>>
>>18334797
Cogratulations, you are now part of the 95% who have the oral strain.

Welcome to normiesville.
>>
>>18334810
Yeah and you can never get pregnant the first time you have sex.

you heard it here folks..
>>
>>18334822
Nope. the open sore is when the white blood cells flood the area, they are what makes up puss, and at this point that puss mixture is highly concentrated with hsv-1 virions making it highly infectious BUT the hsv-1 virions (individual viruses) are where the symptoms are registering even without a sore, and in your first infection you can spread it to other areas without your body triggering an immune response, allowing the virus to work its way to nerve nodes where it can remain dormant. after you gain an immune response, the virus cannot find new nerve cells to hide in.

infection battle for hsv-1/2
>few virions infect immediate area of contact
>hijack cell's normal operation to force the cell to reproduce the virus
>cell dies
>virus particles then infect neighboring cells
>amplification of virion particles increase
>body immune system gets triggered
>symptoms appear
>virus replicate more and more until 1 particle has a chance to infect a nerve cell and boom, she is dormant forever.
>>
>>18334838
Fuck, well what should I do right now?
>>
>>18334826
HSV-1/HSV-2 is a damn clever virus

>it hides in nerve cells avoiding the body immune response
>it replicates using the cell's own normal, necessary, mechanisms that the cell needs to sustain its function
>if it never kills the cell, thus not leaving it, there is no way for the immune response to detect it because the virus pre-emptively block the cell's ability to produce the necessary signals.

because of all this, you need to NOT touch, lick (the virus need moisture and drool can carry it to other parts of your mouth) or it will fight that battle elsewhere.
>>
>>18334845
You have no control over the process. The best is to wait and see and monitor the situation AND NEVER TOUCH IT AND TO NOT SPREAD IT TO OTHER PEOPLE IN YOUR HOME, WASH YOUR OWN SPOONS AND CUPS because you might be actively reproducing the virus particles.

Be hygienic and keep it clean to prevent spread, and if it happens, you just need to manage it in the future. There are anti-virals you can take which will block the mechanism of replication, but reducing (not eliminating) the mechanism the virus uses for replication.
>>
>>18334626
At the end of the day it is not a death sentence if and that is a big IF you contracted the disease.

Chill out homie

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20120611201942AAC8PjG
>>
>>18334854
>There are anti-virals you can take which will block the mechanism of replication, but reducing (not eliminating) the mechanism the virus uses for replication.

should be read

>There are anti-virals you can take which will block the mechanism of replication, but this blocking is really just reducing access to the mechanism the virus uses for replication,not eliminating access.
>>
>>18334854
Well, I live alone but I'll certainly take that advice anyways. So if I don't show any signs in say, a week, am I in the clear?

This is going to fuck with my anxiety syndrome all week...

So just avoid touching my lips, right?
>>
>>18334856
Thanks, keep your fingers crossed for me dude.

>>18334858
Any suggestions? I have a nightmarish phobia of pills and such...but if it helps, I'll be forced too...
>>
>>18334859
give it 14 days but symptoms of the first outbreak should appear within 72 hours.

>anxiety
sucks but because this is a reoccurring issue, the hypervigilance will help you be prepare for a potential next outbreak which will let you take pro-active measures (like starting antivirals) so you can get over the battle faster with a less intense infection next time.
>>
>>18334873
What should I take? Is it a salve or something?
>>
>>18334864
>Any suggestions? I have a nightmarish phobia of pills and such...but if it helps, I'll be forced too...

There are antiviral topical creams you apply on the area, its called acyclovir. But it doesn't stop the infection.

>touching lips
the virus needs moisture or it dries out. it can persist in shit like lipstick for a few days. but basically, yes, never touch the spot where the symptoms are occuring.
>>
>>18334883
>What should I take? Is it a salve or something?
nothing. you can't stop it now, you can only reduce the severity of the symptoms, maybe, but those symptoms is your body's immune response. you don't want to reduce the amount of viri particles that your immune response can't fight back.

also, the worst thing about HSV-1/2 is asymptomatic shedding. It happens very rarely because normally when the virus is replicating, it triggers an immune response (thus symptoms) but asymptomatic shedding is when virion levels are low but the shedding/replication is happening, which means you can infect people without symptoms.
>>
>>18334907
Fuck this sounds terrible... Why am I so fucking dumb.

What the fuck did I do....
>>
>>18334797
Anon, damn near every human being on the planet has a form of herpes.

Stop looking like a damn fool and do some research about what herpes actually is. It's as common as the fucking cold, and just as harmless for most people.
>>
>>18334925
I know I just...I don't want another thing hurting my health. Also, I have really severe anxiety syndrome, so everything that happens to me health wise, it usually amplified due to my constant stress and body hyper vigilance.

New question: If I do break out, is there a safe cosmetic, or cover I can use as to not draw attention in public/at work?
>>
>>18334925
1/4 has it, but some areas its incredibly wide spread. Herpes is common but it isn't as common as some people make it out to be. 1/4 globally has it, keep that mind.

Also having it isn't a big deal because you can easily be proactive in not spreading it.

>>18334919
Dude, you got the most benign virus. herpes wont kill you, or spread anywhere beyond its spot of its initial infection. And you don't know yet if you are infected.
>>
>>18334931
I dunno man, I can kinda feel the burning sensation...I really hope it's just in my head....
>>
>>18334928
>work
Your first infection is going to be bad. You might get multiple blisters (note: blisters are areas where your white blood cells are flooding and thus causing the pus). If you can, take a week off and relax as much as you can so you can learn the cyce.

>hiding it
If you have it, your next infection will be less severe, the time it takes to go from onset symptoms (this is why you need to learn the sensations now) to healing is a week. If you use makeup, or anything you could be spreading the virion particles around and if you continually use that concealer or lipstick, you can infect other parts of yours lips (these parts highly likely will not lead to permeant infections because the virion particles wont make it to a nerve since you have some immune response).

do you get the picture I am painting?
It's is simply a game of not helping the virion particles to move around, and things to cover it up helps it move around.
>>
>>18334935
>I can kinda feel the burning sensation..
http://www.brown.edu/Courses/BI_278/Other/Clerkship/Didactics/Readings/Hypochondriasis.pdf

/thread
>>
>>18334935
Accept it right now that you have it, and go on for the ride. There is literally nothing you can do but let this battle take it course and if the symptoms don't pan out to a blister, you don't have it.

it's important now to really recognize the sensations, do you know why? self-check the symptoms and sensations every once in a while, and try to focus on other things, ignoring it. nothing might happen, but if it is going to happen, you want to learn what the sensations are like so you can be proactive the next outbreak.
>>
>>18334954
You're right. I need to just accept it. If I don't have it, good news, right?

I just really don't want this. I'm a fuckin' waiter, people are gonna be disgusted...

That one FUCKING kiss....

Is there any way to hide the sore, if I get one?
>>
>>18334963
Anti-viral creams or pills and if you can recognize the symptoms from onset and start taking them asap as you recognize it, you can reduce the severity of the symptoms or the length of the cycle. If there is not enough virion particles, a blister or sore will not develop. It's a big issue of how to get to that not enough part.
>>
>>18334810
Is it possible to deliberately get it on a body part that you're fine with in order to "vaccinate" yourself?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.