[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/hate my job/ general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 1

File: tigbitties.jpg (73KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
tigbitties.jpg
73KB, 750x750px
I have a BS in Biology and ~5 years of lab research experience (doing Neuroscience shit).

I've been a lab technician for 3 years in two different labs and I've come to hate it now. What kind of jobs can I get with my education? I honestly don't care about staying in science, I know there are certain jobs where they just want somebody with any college degree to prove you're not a moron and then they train you for whatever themselves. I also have no family/attachments to tie me down which i'm sure has to be attractive to someone?
>>
>>18325294
See if you can get a job somewhere in Europe at a University. It might be more of the same career wise, but atleast you'd have access to culture that you haven't experienced yet in life. Something to counter the monotony, etc, of lab tech-ing.
>>
>>18325323

i think i legitimately hate being a lab tech, but yeah, a change of location might help. my current lab is very disorganized (as in the direction of the lab/projects) so that doesn't help.

but i think international gigs are probably pretty competitive, and while i'm not a bad employee i'm definitely not an a perfectionist over achiever. also i don't want to get a phd so i don't think there's much of a future in lab teching so i think a new career direction would be best anyway
>>
>>18325294
Who is she?
>>
>>18325363
some instagram slut
>>
>>18325371
What's her IG?
>>
>>18325379
celi_lora now find me a job
>>
>>18325294
food industry maybe
>>
>>18325294
https://www.tamengineeringjobs.com/postings/2904

salary is low but the location is nice.
>>
>>18325417
more than i make now and in a marginally less shitty town
>>
>>18325386
What are your hobbies? If money wasn't an issue, what would you be doing?
>>
>>18325294
I realised I hated being in a lab at the end of my bachelor of medical science so I decided to become a paramedic. In my country that requires a degree but I can do the degree in 2 years instead of 3 since I have a background in medical science. Ask yourself do you even like being in a lab? Have you ever applied for medicine? Do you prefer teaching instead? How about doing programming? How about a social science like econometrics?
>>
>>18325294
https://jobs.tamhsc.edu/postings/6569

liver cancer mouse research
>>
Well you have a lot of free time on your hands and you have a degree which implies that you are smart and you can get a decent job.
So yeah those 3 variables are very attractive to a lot of people in general.
>>
>>18325424
jerking off and playing vidya at home.

but yeah, when i sit down and think about the whole "what do i enjoy that i could turn into a job" thing, i usually come up blank

>>18325427

being in a lab is OK, what i hate most is the "lab managment" side of shit like ordering things and managing the mouse colony, the bench work portion isn't that bad. and any of those things sounds ok but i really don't want to go back to school, which is why i'm looking for the type of job that just cares if you have some college degree without caring that much about a specific field
>>
>>18325294
Professional NCAA student-athlete stalker:

https://jobpath.tamu.edu/postings/100128
>>
>>18325294
>know there are certain jobs where they just want somebody with any college degree to prove you're not a moron and then they train you for whatever themselves.
No one trains anyone anymore. This is what is meant in listings by "hit the ground running." Employers are too cheap to train hires now. They expect to everyone to come with the skills they demand. The onus is on the employee to pay for training in those skills…and that's *still* not a guarantee of employment.

Welcome to the Wal-marting of the workforce.
>>
>>18325440
>i'm looking for the type of job that just cares if you have some college degree without caring that much about a specific field

the holy grail of job postings. All postings seem to add restrictions. As a CHEN grad with only 2.5yr experience (and not currently in ENGR job-field) it saddens me that almost all engineering postings this year have requirements of 3-5+ year experience and few if any have no/low experience. Its a brick wall that is impossible to get over without no experience job postings.
>>
>>18325440
>type of job that just cares if you have some college degree without caring that much about a specific field
I don't think there is such a thing unless you want to work in the public service or the military. Have you looked into short courses like graduate diplomas or graduate certificates? These days everyone has to retrain in something if they want to find decent work because the job market is so dynamic.
>>
>>18325485
i'd be fine with some cushy public service government job, that may be a good idea
>>
>>18325294
you can always look into teaching. start as a substitute or tutor, get a teaching certificate if you like it. with your exp you can probably do college prof. assistant too
>>
>>18325542
That's actually my job its great. I really like that I can take time off whenever I want to pretty much.
>>
>>18325294
I've just completed a BS in bio too, this thread is highly relevant to my interest. How would you describe your experience as a lab tech? Did you get into lab work because there was nothing else or was it something you wanted to do? I'm specialized in ecology/biodiversity/evolution but there are no openings or there is too much competition for the few openings. It seems easier to get hired in labs but then again, I have almost no experience with labs and it seems really stressful.
>>
>>18325542
I'm a public servant too. It really depends on your job role, time of year and department you're in.

My friend in Finance work extremely long overtime during the run up to the Budget and comfy days outside that period. My Education pal seems to be doing fuck all. Interior friend has constant work at all times.
>>
I'll trade with you, OP. You'll like working at Starbucks. I promise. You won't regret it all.
>>
>>18326821

well my first lab was a well oiled machine with lots of people who had been there a long time. a lot of the generic chore stuff like ordering things was split among people so i got to focus like 90% of my time on doing actual research/bench work

then i went to a new lab that had just moved universities. there was no real clear hierarchy so i kind of had to carve out my role myself. it's also a smaller lab. i probably do like 25% administrative shit like paperwork, 50% prep stuff like making solutions, and 25% actual research. your experience is probably highly dependent on your lab and your institution

as for how i got into it, i was going to pursue a phd after undergrad but once i got to my senior year i just kind of decided i was fucking done with school. my current lab offered me a tech job and i've just kept on in that line of work. its kind of a weird thing since most technicians seem to either be A)fresh graduates who are just taking some time before starting grad school for real or B)somebody who finds one lab to hitch their wagon to and they stay with that lab for a long time. I don't really see much of a long term future as staying a tech which is part of the reason i think now is a good time to find a new path.

>>18327301
sure let's set it up
>>
I've been working my first full time job out of college for about 8 months. To make a long story short, I've found myself in a really unpleasant situation. Turns out I'm the butt of everyone's jokes behind my back and even quite openly, and it's making me start to feel very uncomfortable at work. I don't want to be a passive aggressive loser, either, and tell on the people doing it, because that will just make it worse. On top of that, it's just not a great job and I want to move on to something better. How much longer do I need to grind it out before leaving? I was thinking a year would be decent enough.
>>
>>18327992
>I don't want to be a passive aggressive loser, either, and tell on the people doing it, because that will just make it worse

This is workplace harassment, and you don't have to put up with this. As adults they should know better. If you don't do anything it'll continue to happen.

I think. It happens to me too but I'm too scared and weak to say anything, plus it might jeopardize my coworkers.
>>
>>18328002
I probably should have explained that it's stemming from this woman I'm attracted to who I have, without meaning to, given away that I like her (I act shy and avoidant etc) I just try to avoid her and be professional, but she's taken it upon herself to gossip about me. I'm worried that if I say something, it will escalate.
>>
>>18327992
>>18328012

so what specifically do they do/say? and what did you do to bring it on? if its just about some girl then surely they'll drop that shit soon. were you buddies with everybody before the incident or were you always an outsider?
>>
>>18328024
I'm not treated like an outsider by everyone. It's a specific group of women. They started talking about me when I started whistling a lot without realizing it, and I stopped that. But it continued because I gave off this desperate, infatuated vibe around the woman that I liked, and it became obvious that I liked her, so she despises me and thinks I'm creepy now. Also, I heard them laughing At me when I talk on the phone, because I get nervous when speaking to clients. And I heard them saying that I'm creepy the other day, well within earshot
>>
>>18328036
just tell 'em to fuck off. overcorrect your behavior when talking to them and act like you're actively annoyed when talking to them. should've done that from the get go, women are attracted to that kind of attitude
>>
>>18325294
Civil servant or some university administration things will do.

Bio major (actually even bioengineering or bio medical engineering) just doesnt get you that many job.

I tried to find a job with my BS in bio degree during the gap year before my medical school but I could not find one and ended up working in my aunt's laundry
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlW4AvJq_Gw
>>
>>18328214
i actually kinda like this guy
>>
>>18325294
Oh....my.....god.

You have a kickass degree with the potential to make good money. Quit your bitching.
There are people out there who struggle to even get a basic degree. I can't believe what I am reading. Nut up dude.
>>
i love my job but the only bad thing is the pay. i get paid 8 dollars and my boss is a greedy little gremlin who doesn't even reach the 5 foot of a tape. going up in position is impossing unless the manager dies of old age. i tried other jobs but they are terrible and not worth the small pay increase. what do?
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.