[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

invited to perform at party

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: hot-girl-theme-bq17.jpg (99KB, 749x468px) Image search: [Google]
hot-girl-theme-bq17.jpg
99KB, 749x468px
>am a performing classical guitarist
>just graduated college on Sunday
>fucking exhausted
>need to find a job
>extremely rich popular kid asked if I would perform for his event
>wants me to play jazz
>event is in 2 weeks
>would need to practice 4 hours per day every day for the next 2 weeks to do it
>party will have a lot of other rich kids and hot women
>really really fucking exhausted from finishing the semester and just want to look for work
>don't want to pass up a good opportunity though

What would you do? Is practicing 4 hours per day for 2 weeks straight worth playing for a rich/popular person's event?
>>
This will get you good exposure and be something you can do in the meantime while you find a job
>>
>>18323252
Depends on what he's paying you. If he ain't paying you shit then tell him you can't do it because you're broke and need to find a job, and if he doesn't offer to pay you just go find a job.
>>
>>18323261
I don't think he'd be paying me.

It would just be for promotion, I guess. The party is downtown in a major city, and he is "famous" on the internet or whatever.

So if I did it, I would probably get promoted on his social media accounts, be exposed to trustfund kids/hot women, and play in a prestigious place in the city.

I'm really fucking tired and want to focus on other things, but I am having a hard time turning this down because of the potential exposure and connections I could make.
>>
>>18323266
You can always look for another job. Jobs will always be in demand. Moments like these very rarely pop up. 4 hours a day for 2 weeks is barely the average part time job, just practice and do it and then make connections.

Protip: Making connections makes it 1000x finding a job btw.
>>
>>18323252
omg its 4 hrs. listen faggot i work 7am to 10am at my house cutting splitting and stacking wood. then i work 1030 to 2pm for family to make extra cash. 3pm to 11pm for my driving route (cdl-a driver) then 11;15 to 12am i split wood. sleep 6 hrs. do it DAILY other than sat/sun unless overtime. wife but she deals with indoor shit and kids. so wtf u bitching about? 4 hrs. srs? u a loser faggot or something? practice, play, sound good, get some hot pussy, maybe wife em a cpl years later and hit hot pussy constantly. or get a 3way with cpl hot chicks there. bitches get wet over that music. do it. dont be a fag liberal
>>
>>18323345
God Bless America
>>
>>18323345
>dont be a fag liberal

It's actually going to be an event full of artsy liberals. One reason I don't feel like doing it.

You're probably right though. I do have a sleeping issue where I can only sleep 4-6 hours every night so maybe that's part of it.

I guess I'll just do it? At least I'll know how to play solo jazz at the end of the two weeks.
>>
>>18323345
Jesus Christ man, relax. Your not the only one who has to work to survive ya know. Op just wants some input on the situation he has been presented
>>
If you don't want to play the gig and don't need to do it then don't do it, especially if you're not getting paid. Its that simple, this kid isn't a promoter for a bar or anything.
>>
>>18323252
Do NOT do it for free. As of the moment you graduated, you became a professional, and if you don't present yourself as a pro, people will be expecting you to do free favors for them forever.

If this rich kid knew someone who just graduated from medical school, he wouldn't have the balls to ask for a free operation, but somehow creative artists seem different to him.

Tell him you'll be happy to do it, but your fee is [insert a number to cover the rehearsal time - at least $500]. If he pays you, good. If he refuses, you'll know how much good the gig would have done you.

And if you do take it, have some business cards printed up, to give to his guests.
>>
Have someone record your performance for the rich guy. Use it for a brag book when you get an interview with jobs even if it doesn't have to do with your degree or job. It'll show that you put in work with whatever you do. Companies don't necessarily on skills but more of soft skills and if you have the drive to achieve a goal/goals

I'm a recruiter.
>>
Surprised no one mentioned this but couldn't you just leave your guitar case open in front of you and people will naturally assume to tip you? Sounds like you could make decent money just from tips.
>>
>>18323252

This is an excellent opportunity and a nice way to make money.

Performing is also a really enjoyable adrenaline rush and gets you bitches.
>>
>>18323845

Do you have any idea how trashy that would look in any party having a busking musician?

You might as well host a dinner party for friends and have them individually pay for their food.
>>
>>18323853
>>18323845
I put a Wine glass with a dollar in it next to me and see if anybody tips me. Yeah an open guitar case would look too low-class.
>>18323834
I agree with you, but having somebody video taping it would look too obnoxious. There will be a lot of professional photographers there, so I will at least get some high-quality promo shots I can use in the future.

>>18323802
Well, we've known each other for a long time. If I asked him to provide his service to me for free, he would probably do it. I'm fine (morally) with not getting paid for this, but I don't know if I want to put in the practice to not get paid. Yes will definitely have business cards, I will sell my cds there too if I do it.

I guess this is my predicament here: I do not want to practice for 4 hours per day for a somewhat stressful event because I am exhausted from having just finished college. But I also can't let a good opportunity go either. I don't know if you guys perform, but the days leading up to a performance get increasingly more stressful with each day that passes. By the time you go to perform, you are strung out with anxiety.

There is also the possibility that this event will provide nothing for me. It is possible that I will not make any connections and leave with no benefits, but I will have practiced for 4 hours per day (or more) for 2 weeks straight.

I know I probably sound ridiculous, but I am so 50/50 on this I absolutely cannot decide what to do. It is actually a pretty big time investment that could either lead to great benefits or no benefits.
>>
you need to get some proper rest, then figure out a workable plan. the gig sounds good, but not for free. tell this guy you'll want a reasonable fee for your trouble. don't be a nervous wreck or too brazen about it, just as though it were perfectly normal to get paid for a day's work - which it is. do your practice and if you work your plan and timing properly, you can also be banging out CVs and looking for work as well.

print out some business card type things to give to interested parties/hotties at the party too.

and good luck!
>>
Fuck man, if youre so "exhausted" from being DONE with school that you cant spend HALF a work day practicing for a once in a lifetime opportunity,

youre never going to make it anywhere.
>>
>>18323345
Reading your post gave me cancer. Please don't abuse your keyboard in such a way.
>>
>>18324195
Its a valid point though. 4 hours out of the day is nothing to be bitching about if you dont have a job.
>>
>>18323252
So you don't play jazz at all? Just give him a list of shit you can play and have him pick a set, especially since he's not paying you. Don't break your back to please people, if you're not comfortable, all sorts of shit can go wrong.
>>
>>18323252
Do it, you will make connections, and connections help you find jobs, high paying ones at that. If you really need to, attempt to juggle work in between practice.
>>
>>18324152
You will become better at your craft.

Is that not worth it in itself?
>>
>>18323345
cutting that much wood.
what the fuck?
do u and ur family eat woods as meal?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.