[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

deaf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0438.jpg (2MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0438.jpg
2MB, 2592x1936px
I am slowly going deaf. It's hard to identify certain words when there is a loud background. When I go to sleep there is a loud singular ringing making it impossible to go to sleep without a loud fan.

I am terrified that I will never hear silence again or even worse only hear silence for the rest of my life.

It's a degenerative disease so when I am about 40 I will be functionally deaf without major surgery like a cochlear implant which will cast me further out of society.

I understand that I really can't change my situation it's just hard to accept. That's really my question is how do I cope with such a major loss? I have very little family, few friends who I have talked to and understood.

Even worse I live in Murcia where I don't make enough money to afford decent healthcare. Not that getting hearing aids or major surgery would be covered even with the best plans.

How do I cope? Where do I start? I've looked into ASL classes, I am starting to work everyday on improving my personal chances at getting a job with healthcare but if I am going to be very hard of hearing or even deaf I have no idea who will hire me. I have even considered moving to a country that has universal healthcare.

I am lost, hurt, and more importantly going insane from this mounting disability.
>>
>>18323119
bump
>>
>>18323119
bumpariono
>>
>>18323159
cump
>>
>>18323119
Go to deaf schools, or if you can afford to, talk to a therapist or a counselor who deals with this sort of thing.

It sounds like you have tinnitus desu.
>>
Pretty sure the US has disability, look into that. Learn ASL, get involved with the deaf community where you live.
>>
>>18323119
>degenerative disease
Not tinnitus?
>>
>>18323242
Part of the disease is that the nerves that relay sound signals degrades over a long period of time. The loss of those nerves/ hair cells made sound as they die and halfheartedly and randomly stimulate as they die as well.
>>18323229
I can't afford anything without healthcare unfortunately. I will look into deaf schools.
>>18323231
I will have to research this. Thanks.
>>
>>18323435
>>18323435
Ah OK, that is similar to tinnitus, except tinnitus is caused by noise exposure and only the hairs get damaged or die. It's not degenerative. It can drastically affect one's day-to-day activities and choices though.That's what I have.

>>18323231 has given you the best answer. Prepare for the day it's gone so it's not a shock When it is. You'll have been preparing for a long time and have a community for support.
>>
>>18323119
So I'm in a similar situation. I know I'm going to lose my hearing, but not from a disease. I'm a drummer that plays just about every day with bands and a music teaching job. I started playing music 8 years ago and I've noticed the major decline in my hearing. In preparation to eventually going deaf I started taking ASL courses at my college.

Besides recommending learning sign language (which is your best bet) you should definitely look into the technicalities of getting a cochlear impant. That's the only way you will be able to be "normal" as you see it. Learning sign language would be the easier option however it's a lifestyle chance, deaf culture exists and they are very different than we are and unless you're willing to learn how to adapt to that community then the cochlear is your best bet.
>>
The bright side of this is that you have time to adapt your lifestyle and cope with it a little at a time instead of it being forced on you all at once. In ten or twenty years, depending on how old you are, technology might drastically improve to help people cope with hearing loss. Prepare for your new lifestyle, but be thankful you can see it coming.
>>
>>18324522
You could've protected (still can protect) what's left of your hearing with earplugs and earmuffs.
>>
>>18325439
I can but there are times during writing songs and certain gigs where I can't use the ear protection since it muffles out some high frequencies that I need to hear in order to play well. To mitigate that I got custom ear plugs made but still the damage ive done can't be reversed and im sure as I get older my already bad hearing will get even worse. That's mainly why i learned sign language, as a fail safe for when that enevitably happens.

That said, I'm in a way better position than OP, however the best advice I can offer you is learn ASL. I can answer any questions regarding it if there are any.
>>
>>18325537
Those custom earplugs are a lifesaver, worth their weight in gold! I have them and I couldn't live without them. It was the only way I was able to keep my tinnitus in check for over a decadeā€¦and then I got my current job and my efforts to protect my hearing were no longer enough.
>>
>>18325616
I love mine, best money I've spent, but I do believe I have permanent tinnitus as well so as I said the damage has been done. But at least I can delay it as long as possible,
>>
>>18324172
>except tinnitus is caused by noise exposure
noise exposure is only one of the possible causes
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.