[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Married too young?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: bigstock-Wedding-Rings-1182182.jpg (2MB, 3445x2307px) Image search: [Google]
bigstock-Wedding-Rings-1182182.jpg
2MB, 3445x2307px
I got a bit of an unusual question for adv. when is it the right time to get married. I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for soon to be 5 years. It only just really hit me that it has been that long and I am wondering if since it has been five years if we should just get married. When I think about the future I pretty much make plans like we are going to be together for at least the next 20 years and he does too. but here is the catch we are both only 20 we got together in highschool and just ended in a long term committed relationship almost on accident. We dont really have plans for kids till at least the age of 25 since i have long term career plans ( i really want to go for my phd before settling down) but at that point we would have been in a relationship unmarried for 10 years. i feel like i am getting pressured to get hitched since we have no intentions to see anyone else for pretty much the rest of our lives. but we are also still very young and life is long. i feel like i dont have anyone in my life to compare to since my parents got married in their 30s and his got married young and went through a messy divorce. i dont know should i take the dive and get married or just let things be as they are

also he has not proposed and we feel like getting married should not be something someone surprises on the other one but rather a well though out mutual decision.
>>
>>18322075
women dont mature until theyre around 30. if you marry before that you are fucking up and they will find the first opportunity to be promiscuous.
>>
>>18322087
I don't think that is gonna be an issue since i am a woman
>>
is there anyone else who i can get some advice from?
>>
Get married whenever you feel like getting married, OP.

Some marry young, some marry old. Some break up after the first year, some stay together forever. There's no telling what life has in store for you. Just do what feels best to you guys.

What does your bf think of marriage?
>>
>when is it the right time to get married
Never. You can have a partner without being married to them. Marriage has very little advantages and a whole lot of risks.
>>
>>18322075

I don't think getting married is a good idea. You're both 20 - and honestly, once people turn 21, there can be a huge shift in their personality. Suddenly you have the personal freedom to be truly an adult, and drinking and clubs and that whole thing can show a person a different world. I'm not saying that drinking or clubs are bad at all, I enjoy drinking and going out, but just that I've seen a lot of long term relationships shift right at that point.

That aside, you both still have so much growing to do. Your high school personalities that you're still holding on to while you're in college or whatever are going to dramatically shift as you get full time jobs and suddenly time management takes a toll on your relationship.

If you're going for your PhD, I mean, what's he going for? Is there going to be eventual resentment that develops if you out-earn him? Is he going to be okay with being a stay-at-home dad? Will he be okay with you working late nights for your residency and then having a ton of commitments that aren't a standard 9-5?

I would let things be as they are, maintain the relationship, and see if you grow together, or grow apart... because the inevitability here no matter how you like it is that you're going to change.

I hope that helped.
>>
Suggest you wait. Get your life straightened out, get your education finished and get into your career. Then reassess whether you two are right for each other.

t. married my 18-year old wife when I was 19
>>
>>18322075
My friend got married at 20 to a guy (22) she knew for one year and that was her only "real" longer lasting relationshit, they are together half a decade later without any major issues but both of them had their shit figured out way before and could easy pass for 25/30 mentally. They both also got job with awesome pay right after college so at least marriage had actual benefits.

Why do you want to get married? There isn't much point to it and it's more likely than not that you'll turn in complete different people since you're still pretty much kids.
>>
I love being engaged, and am very much looking forward to being married to my Significant Other.

Don't let people tell you what to do, OP. Do whatever makes you guys happy. Whether that's not marrying at all, or getting married next month.
>>
>>18322169
he has been down to get married since year 2 but hasnt been pressuring me to get married just always saying that if i want to we can
>>18322181
Currently i am graduating with a associates in biotechnology (yeah its kidna a meme at this level but i am entering a bachelors program in the fall for biomedical and hope to end up some place doing genetics research) he is starting an Computer sci associates in the fall. we currently live together at his dads place and we have both held full time jobs for a while
>>
>>18322181
also he has stated he wants to be a stay at home dad since he wants kids more then i do
>>
>>18322260
>>18322263

It sounds like you guys are on the right path, but again, I just warn, people change. And people meet other people.

I mean, you don't even live in your own place yet... that could get tricky when he doesn't have dad around to set him right.
>>
>>18322075
Guy here, been in a relationship for almost 9 years, not married yet, started out almost by accident at 21.

Honestly, the only reason we're not married yet is because neither of us are financially independent (shamefully common at our age in our contry) and don't own our own place. Personally, the "right" moment to marry is when both are financially stable, paying bills and owning their own places, with a few years living together under their belts, from a purelly "technical" point of view.

Emotionally wise, you two are probably not ready. You two will still go through a rollercoaster of emotions during your adulthood that will test your relationship bonds. First real job, graduation, meeting new people socially, maturing as adults overall. You might legally be an adult when you're 18/21 (depending where you are), but being adult doesn't necessarily means you are mature. There's a lot of stress testing to be done on your relationship from those situations until you're a stable adult.

I don't think there's a relationship time that you have to be married to, like after 5 you should marry. There's a whole separate checklist of things before that being a criteria, as I mentioned above. I honestly wouldn't advice you to marry before 25, when you're probably going to be settling as a real adult. Not marrying doesn't mean you love or trust each other less than if you did.
>>
>>18322075
Get married if/when you want to. It all depends on the importance you both give marriage itself. It's not a necessary part of life unless you want it to be, you don't need a ring to prove your love or devotion for each other.
If you do decide to get hitched, I'd recommend waiting until you're both financially independent and stable.
>>
>>18322087
>implying men are mature early in life

Men aren't fully mature until 40. So until then be prepared to deal with a not fully mature man child.
>>
>>18322176
Except when your partner dies and you aren't entitled to jack shit cause you aren't married. Or they need an important life or death choice made while in a coma.

Not that possessions are THAT important. But what if your partner had agreed to leave everything to you? Or the pension from his/her death to help you get by while adjusting to one income? Can't get shit if you aren't immediate family or you are married
>>
>>18322323
Boo hoo
>>
>>18322075
I say wait. Everyone changes so much during their 20's that it can really change what you want/need out of life.
I have a friend who married at 21 after they had been together for 3 years. Thye just recently had a kid, hes 25 now and they are on the brink of a divorce because of how their views have changed.
Being together and not married isn't a bad thing. If you feel pressured already it probably won't end well because you are having doubts about it already. Give it more time and decide later on.

I just ended my 8 year relationship because in the long term, now that we are both older, started at 17 and now 25, we realized that what we want in life is different and wouldn't work long term.

Be patient.
>>
>>18322332
Yes you can. Ever heard of a testament or living will?
>>
Most people get married around 2 yrs. If hes not under like 27yo then id say go for it.
>>
Double-bladed sword really.

Not marrying gives you the advantage to nope the hell outta there and bolt should you someday figure out he's full of shit.

Marrying will give you the advantage that you can take him to the cleaners someday should you find out he's full of shit.

It really depends how much you want to take with you at the end of the relationship.
>>
Hi there just tell your boyfriend youd like to get married.Talk about what future you want with him see if he agrees. when your in the mall go in the jewelry shop try on a ring you like and get your finger sized all while your boyfriends there. Now continously nag him about marriage untill he proposes. This is what my wife done to me. We have been together 8 years married 2 of them and both 30 now. Before we got married we moved in together then saved and brought a house. All i can say is you dont have unlimited time you do age trying to have chilldren at 30 also is more health complications as well.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.