[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hell if this'll result in anything useful but I can at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1468528740142.jpg (32KB, 628x504px) Image search: [Google]
1468528740142.jpg
32KB, 628x504px
Hell if this'll result in anything useful but I can at least vent here for a moment.

I'm in a bad situation mentally and financially. I got two BS degrees, math & astrophysics, but couldn't get into the grad program because of lack of funding for the department, my lack of practical experience and mediocre GRE scores, or both. I couldn't find a job either because of being in a poor town and having no job experience, at most got a sort of freelance job doing oddjobs like weeding and cleaning for someone who is a real hardass. Was doing this for a year, hating that all my efforts and goals amounted to jack shit as I was doing manual labor, and with such inconsistent hours that I could never rely on it.

Fast forward about a year and low and behold the state government is screwing over the school by cutting funding because there's not enough women who want to do science. In turn the school cuts off "soft research funding" to the affiliated research groups around which are private sector but are fucked over by needing to share HR with the school and having all money funneled through the broken payroll the school has never fixed. My fiance works for one of these places which set the hours and pay to match her graduate tuition and living expenses. payroll forced them to cut everyone's hours suddenly despite contracts because of workers compensation requirements like 10 months ago. They forced them to be cut again a few months ago. Then they cut her wages in half. Now she's being forced to quit within two months, and we're at risk of not being able to afford rent, let alone her tuition. Also she can't become a part time student for financial reasons for some fucking reason because of how broken the admin offices are here and she was just barely able to get a TA position for this coming semester and no guarantee for anything after that. In case it's not clear she's the breadwinner and I'm the deadbeat.
>>
File: 1471897338352.jpg (58KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471897338352.jpg
58KB, 720x720px
>>18320735
When this shit started I dropped everything to get a new license to try to get a job outside of town (The school and every fucking landlord here screw people over by not providing proof of residency so my out of state license expired) which will be a minimum 2 hour commute daily in bum fuck nowhere. I haven't even done yardwork for the guy in 2 months because I put everything on hold to fix shit and have done nothing for the past month because working for him is hellishly stressful. My fiance has been excessively supportive and let me do this and encouraged me to try to make money off of my hobbies of making things. Now it turns out she went to apply for a second job in town while I'm legitimately a deadbeat.

I've no fucking clue what to do. I hate not having a job but job hunting gives me anxiety and there's almost nothing I qualify for because a degree, even two, mean jack shit even if they're STEM. I don't know if I should make an online store front for my wood working and tabletop crafts, crawl back to that asshole or suck it up and try to commute to a dead end job 80 miles away. I feel like I've wasted 5 years working for my degrees, to study the things I've wanted my whole life only to have every door closed in front of me. Then wasted a year doing fucking yardwork. Now because of fucking gender quotas for woman my fiance, who is a woman, is losing her job and risks losing any chance of continuing her graduate program and we risk losing our apartment. Oh and despite the funding cuts the school is building a 4th new fucking building that costs 2.7 million fucking dollars that'l be payed for with more tuition increases.

I was the top ranked student in the physics department my junior year (at least) and I can't further my education, get a job in my field and have been pulling weeds as others around me make enough money to not worry about anything. might be homeless in a few months. making me think we should hold off on our court house marriage.
>>
so does /adv/ have advice? opinions? fuck it talk about whatever, I've had my hissy fit here now, it's all I can expect really. i hate this country and this town.
>>
>>18320735
>>18320752
You and your fiance should move home if you can, or get roommates or something. Those are easy ways to save money and cut down on living costs.
>>
>>18320761
moving out wouldn't work, everything else in town is owned by the same 3 asshole landlords who all charge $800 - $1000 a month for shitty falling apart places. we're in one of the few good places for the same cost but have the best landlords that exist apparently. We might need to get a housemate but we're dreading going back to that, we've had multiple bad experiences with it. For perspective 1/2 the town is full of uneducated rednecks and the rest are semi-autistic from out of state here to study science.
>>
>>18320735
>job hunting gives me anxiety

NEWS FLASH: Job hunting gives EVERYONE anxiety. It is one of the most stressful experiences in life. You just have to suck it up and do it.

Pretty clearly there are going to be no jobs in your field in some small town. You're going to have to do two things

1. First, start looking in some big city or tech centre. That might mean long-distance job hunting or moving first and looking when you get there. But NOTHING is going to happen where you are.

2. Second, spread your net wider. If there are no jobs for a graduate astrophysicist, think in terms of transferable skills. What sellable skills have you picked up while studying your subject, that are applicable to other fields?

Don't package yourself as someone who knows a lot about stars, but as someone who can do these things (whatever they are - research, writing, data analysis?) better than most people.
>>
>>18320786
I didn't say move out, I said move home. As in, with your parents.

>We might need to get a housemate but we're dreading going back to that, we've had multiple bad experiences with it.
Beggars can't be choosers, if the choice is between having a roommate and paying less rent, and not having a roommate and being on the verge of homelessness, you'd be a moron to choose the latter.

It's your life though, if you're not willing to do what is basically common sense, shut up and stop complaining.
>>
Burn a lot of houses so the prices will fall anyway.
Grow weed and sell it
>>
>>18320833
How does one get started selling pot?
>>
>>18320735
You have math. Ever tried becoming an actuary?
>>
>>18320792
as it turns out no companies and research centers even know what a physicist is and avoid them, already needed to pretend to be an engineer and computer scientist to get the time of day. STEM jobs are the only likely ones around because of military testing but everyone is too poor to hire people, hence considering 2 hour commutes daily. also my level of anxiety isn't quite normal, more of the crippling variety thanks to social retardation and an unusual mindset.
>>
>>18320796
I'll bitch and moan just like everyone else thanks. not like there'll be novel advice posted anyway
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.