[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Quitting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: burning-cigarette-smoke.jpg (18KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
burning-cigarette-smoke.jpg
18KB, 750x500px
I've been smoking for almost ten years. I didn't really start smoking until I turned 18, as it was hard to get cigs back then. But now I'm at a pack a day essentially, and I think I've had enough.

I am considering going the gum and/or lozenge route. I tried going cold turkey for a week, and I failed.

From what I understand, I'd need to start with the 4mg first, then work down to 2, but it seems like it'd be cheaper to first cut back on cigs, then start directly with the 2mg.

How much would it roughly cost for the entire "treatment"? Does it work well? Any tips guys?

Inb4, I know smoking is bad, etc. I wouldn't be thinking of quitting otherwise.
>>
Btw, a big reason for wanting to quit is that I've been working out since August, and though I've definitely seen gainz(tm) I am growing slower than I should. I also supplement biking for cardio. I've always been pretty in shape, or at least reasonably active. And although now I am significantly stronger, and have way more endurance for biking, I can't help but think how much better I'd be if I quit.

I've heard that even a week off cigs gives some noticeable benefits.
>>
>>18318218
Cheaper yet is getting the 4mg lozenges and breaking them in half, boom 2mg doses at half the price.

But anyway you kind of want to flood your system whilst actively avoiding the thought of lighting up. Avoiding entertaining the thought, that is.

Nicotine replacement isn't magic, you still have to work for it. And if this is only your second attempt then there's a fair chance you won't have picked up enough little aversion tactics - so more words from me won't benefit you as much as you might want.

You have to want to stop, to want to have better breathing, to want to have a fatter wallet. But it's still on you.
>>
>>18318218
While it is maximum fedora, try vaping or ecigs. You'll find out that even though the nicotine is a definite craving, the addiction also has a lot to do with having something in between your fingers during a break. From there you can slowly back down on the nicotine and eventually switch out to flavored liquids.
>>
>>18318218

I quit cold turkey a year ago on new year's eve. The most important thing is to figure out when you smoke and why. For me it was certain situations and times of the day that triggered the habit and breaking those set patterns was what finally made me quit for good. Smoking is usually a social or habitual problem and the physical withdrawals are easy to handle once you figure out what usually makes you light up one.
>>
>>18318267
Well, that and smoking literally scratches an itch you can't get to otherwise. Inside the lungs.

But e-cigs do have the ability to hit that itchy point. And yeah they were part of my last and successful quitting plan.
>>
>>18318267
But then you form a habit of smoking no nicotine vapes? Vaping is still bad for your cardiovascular system. The reason why there isn't any concrete evidence for the health risks of vaping is because it hasn't been around long enough. But the way current research data is trending, vaping is not much, if at all, better for you.

My whole point of quitting is to improve my stats. But maybe it's easier to quit vaping? Btw, I tried a vape here and there, not a fan.
>>
>>18318272
Unfortunately, the main "trigger" for me smoking is when I am outside. When I am walking to the store/school/work I light up. I guess the habit started when I was in high school still living with my family. I couldn't smoke around them, so I'd have to go outside on a walk or something.

Do you think cutting back on smoking first, by eliminating this habit of smoke walking, is a good plan? If the way you are supposed to quit is get rid of triggers for a while, I don't know if I can get rid of walking.
>>
>>18318281
Yes, it is easier to quit non-nicotine vaping. Trivial, even, after a time.

But as you've likely sensed you do want to dissociate the nicotine replacement from the vaping.
>>
>>18318284

My problem was the exact same one. Smoked on my way to the corner store and on my way to the bus stop, since both distances were exactly one cigarette. For the first month I chewed regular gum every time I left the house, so I had an "excuse" not to light up. One time I didn't have gum, so I called my mum instead and it just felt damn wring to smoke while talking to her. The urge was bad everytime, but because I knew it would turn up, it was easier to resist. Just figure out something to do instead of smoking in that type of situation. It gets easier after about 3-4 weeks, if you manage that long.
>>
>>18318297
How long do you need the gum for? A month? 2?
>>
>>18318351

For a month regularly, then just in case for another if I was feeling especially stressed. The urge passed in a month or so, but the slight "why not smoke?" thought was there longer. But that was just down to willpower, once the physical/habitual urge was defeated.
>>
>>18318360
>>18318238
This guy suggested splitting 4mg in half to make it cheaper. Think it'll work? And since the piece would be tinier, could I mix in a piece of regular gum to add to the chewiness?
>>
I quit smoking, but can't go 30min without a dip in my mouth.

Would this work?
>buy a new pack of your favorite cigs
>smoke one right after another and do not stop even if you puke until you are finished with the pack

Would this work, seen as you'll be so disgusted by it by the end of the pack and even your body won't crave it because of the poisoning?
>>
>>18318394
Op here, so I can't say 100% sure, but that wouldn't work imo. Overdosing would make you feel sick, but then you'd have so much nicotine in your body, you'd just want to smoke again after your body clears that up.

The idea of ways to quit is to either go cold turkey, or lower the amount of nicotine you take in. Essentially, you want to rid your body of nicotine and not get anymore in ever again.

If you want to make yourself so sick of cigarettes that you never want to smoke again, might as well just shock yourself every time you take a puff. Mike Pence the smoking outta you.

As far as I see about cold turkey, that way is a question of willpower. Mentally fortify yourself to overcome the odds.
>>
>>18318218
I had this problem then I started vaping.

Sounds shitty but 100% worth it imo

I've been ciggie free for about 3 years and I vape at the lowest nicotine dose (3mg) because I like the buzz. Sometimes I vape 0mg nicotine, and often times I go days without vaping.
The next step would be to stop vaping (seriously not that hard) but for now I enjoy it. Will definitely be quitting vaping within the next two years though.

I've heard the patches work great for people, but if I were you I'd just go to a vape shop and bring $100 bucks and say hey I wanna quite smoking for good what do you recommend, I have 100 tops to spend. Most shops are anti ciggies and enjoy helping people quit in my experience.

Also you're not poor if you smoke so you can definitely rustle up the 100.

I recommend going without vaping or smoking as long as you can and then when the edge kicks in and you get wiggy hit that vape. It's a weird feeling transitioning and that moment you realize you're just chemically addicted is bizarre. The vaping takes the edge off. I started at 6mg even though they recommended something higher.
>>
>>18318394
I read on 4chan a guy who claimed that he did this and it worked, but I think you need at least two packets, not saying you should try anyway, but it can work I think
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.