[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being an adult

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 4

i cannot fathom the current state of the western man.
how a man can get up every morning and force himself to commute to a monotonous job he doesn't enjoy to continue living doing things he doesn't enjoy is beyond me.
I am currently a second year in university doing mechanical engineering. I do not think i want to do this with my life, whenever i bring this up the only conclusion people come to is that it is too difficult and i am failing. In fact my grades are quite good and i can keep up with the course load to a moderate extent. I just envision my future self sitting at a cubicle punching numbers into excel all day and it leaves me feeling empty inside. any expression of this to my peers is met with near hostility, "any adult job is 40+ hours anon!" "don't be lazy that's just part of being an adult ". i cannot comprehend this, the conclusion i have come to is that the majority of people feel this way and respond so harshly because it compromises what they have been conditioned to believe, that spending the majority of the waking life doing things that make one unhappy is the natural human state.
The only thing i would consider a "passion" of sorts is reading, i have dabbled in writing and if money was no object this is probably what i would pursue, however realistically i think this is unreasonable as i have no particular talent for it and even with talent it is a leap and a half to make a living from it.
I do not think i can accept the current life of a western man, gripped firmly by the hand of capitalism squeezing the life blood from us to turn a profit.
i acknowledge that the most likely reaction to this will be the same given to the average lazy NEET who wants to watch anime all day, eg "stop being a lazy whiny faggot".
i suppose i am the same in most ways however i simply cannot abide the soul crushing manner in which most live
help me please.
>>
Basically youre woke enough to realize being a wagecuck for (((them))) isnt the natural state of being.

At this point, you have to find a way out. Thats what so many people are looking for. My way out is a combination of praying that my meager crypto investment comes to fruition and that WW3 doesn't start as Im joining the navy. Get a VA loan on a property near a nice Uni and rent it out, then when its payed off repeat until I dont have to work.

Also try being a consultant. Doesnt matter with what. Your hourly rates will be triple if not more of someone doing the same work full time. Learn social media marketing and consult for small business owners or consult your skills you have rn to,whomever needs it. You would know who better than I.

Or you can start your own small business. Invent a product or service and sell it, you work your own hours and even if its more than a wagecuck works you are your own boss
>>
>>18314301
If you look at it objectively then almost any job is a mindless waste of time. Like cleaning toilets and stuff like that. At least you have the opportunity do something special with your life where you are now.

Mechanical engineering can open up many doors for you, you don't know what will wait for you in the future. You are not wasting your time in college thats for sure. You can network, talk to people and you could end up on a completely different field of work, the sky is the limit.

I'm studying a branch of mechanical engineering so trust me when I say that I understand you and it's a lot of work.

Just make sure that your grades are still good and believe me bro things will be better.
>>
>>18314301
People usually find meaning in their work. Maybe sometimes you'll be filling excel spreadsheets but it would be for the sake of completing some project which will have impact on other people.

Then there's the career component, which transcends just the job you will be holding at any given time. You will strive towards advancing your career. This also gives meaning to your work. Your work can easily turn into your passion, it usually comes second.
>>
>>18314321
>>18314320
i think part of it is that what i would consider my "passion" or more like hobby (literature) is damn near impossible to turn into a career.
You're stating that this process can happen in reverse. That should i go out into the world of engineering which seems like just a job to me now, it could turn into a passion. I understand this could happen in many cases but i will still be living the same routine high stress life would i not, i want freedom however this seems a pipe dream for the modern
>>
>>18314301
>sitting at a cubicle punching numbers into excel all day

I really doubt people who are spreading this television sitcom stereotype ever work as an engineer, or work at all.

Even though I generally regard what engineers do as pedestrian tasks (yes, those who spread the stereotype that engineering is generally a creative job also probably never worked as an engineer), from what I've seen of my engineer friends, their jobs have enough variability to keep them interested (for their level of education) and they have enough free time to party and travel.
>>
>>18314301
I feel you brother im 20 and have no problem with be an adult male but everyday i wake up i know that i dont want this wagecuck life everyone expects of me i want to do shit i love and make money doing it. i have a fuzzy idea of what that is but im still figuring out the details anyway good luck to you. Just wanted to say your not alone in this
>>
>>18314338
I understand that, we all want that kind of freedom you are talking about.

But passion is overrated imo. If we really followed our passion we would all be pro athletes, or artists, movie stars etc. It's good that you have these thoughts, but don't get too emotionally attached to this. Just do what you're supposed to do and on your freetime (if you manage to have some) then you can put that time on what you like to do more.
>>
>>18314301
Lower your consumption goals and the need to be a wage monkey diminishes.
A 4 day work week makes a big difference to how soul sucking paying the bills can be. Perhaps you could manage a 3 day work week if you really trimmed what you spend.

Tbf you need a trade that isn't minimum wage to do it, and it certainly helps to be good enough that your managers want to flex to keep you aboard.
>>
Make making money or improving the world your passion

Being passionate about some random task is retarded
>>
>>18314301
This is something you grow out of. Every 20-something year old feels like this.

1. You don't have to do the same thing forever until you die. You can learn new skills and switch to a different job or start a business based on opportunities that come your way, life is complicated, things happen. Just because you study engineering doesn't mean you'll get out of college get a job and stay there for ever and ever.

2. "punching numbers into excel" is a gross oversimplification of "a job" and it just shows that you're young and inexperienced(like almost anyone in their early 20s, I don't mean to insult you). If you were trying to become an accountant then maybe that would be close but not in engineering. There's also always a greater purpose behind your work, nobody will pay you to do things that are pointless (except maybe the government).

3. You can find a purpose elsewhere than your current job if you're really not that into it until you can switch to a different job that will fit your purpose. The biggest one being family, when you start a family your priorities shift and you will want to make money to support your family. Or you could make it a goal to save up and start a business. Whatever, you can find purpose in many places, life is a freeform game, you have to create your own purpose, you don't get one handed to you.
>>
>>18314301
>I just envision my future self sitting at a cubicle punching numbers into excel all day

this is literally a fantasy dude. You're complaining about something you've made up, wake up. That's your entire post, you're complaining about your made up idea of what it feels like to work a job that's not based in real experience.

>I do not think i can accept the current life of a western man, gripped firmly by the hand of capitalism squeezing the life blood from us to turn a profit.

Communist rambling. Nobody is squeezing you, you're literally a student and don't know what it feels like to have a full-time job. Complaining about "current life of a western man" even though you're a uni student who never experienced it is retarded. Again, you're complaining about your idea of an experience that might not match with reality.
>>
>>18314301

I was like you, but I went MGTOW and am now pursuing my dream job. Fuck anyone who gets in my way
>>
File: 1490854059640.jpg (113KB, 640x904px)
1490854059640.jpg
113KB, 640x904px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o

I like how this guy explains it.
>>
>>18314385
i'm not sure what kind of job would ever be this kind to you to allow you to only work 4 or even 3 day weeks while, but i haven't worked in industry.
>>18314409
this is good advice, but i still can't reconcile the time investment. maybe its just horror stories but i am constantly hearing of engineers working 50+ hour workweeks, throw in commute and preparation and you're left with almost no time to actually do things you enjoy.

consultancy seems to be a really good solution to this so perhaps that's a good goal for myself, become my own boss and choose my hours to an extent

another aspect of my disparity i believe comes from my desire to cram too much into my relatively small life. ie i wish to learn piano, take up a martial art and many other personal growth type things that i see being very difficult to manage with a high hour high stress career.
>>
>>18314301
>western man
It's the same for people in other countries too, only their jobs are less comfy. Also most jobs will be obsolete in 20-25 years either way.

Anyway, you have about two and a half options:
>be a wagecuck but try to find something enjoyable about it or switch jobs to stay engaged
>be a wagecuck and limit your time at work as much as possible
>be a wagecuck and try to maximize your earnings to have a capital to invest, cuck other people with rent and the likes
>do something you actually want to do and deal with the consequences of being a welfare fag until you succeed (aka. forever)
>>
>>18314438
I manage to keep up with 10-15 anime shows a week, go to the gym and study a ton while working 50 hours a week in investment banking

I don't really have much to do at the weekends to be honest due to having no friends I want to hang out with other than my wife
>>
>>18314301
30 fag here.
I feel you bro. It is kind of bullshit.

But its reality. The good news is you can really do anything. Also capitalism is more fucking wonderful than you realise.

Youre free to go buy car cleaning equipment register a business and detail peoples cars in their driveways. No law will stop you and youd make shit tonnes of money for way less hours.

If you hate the way things are so much then i recommend you look into entrepreneurialship. Theres a million easy things you can do to be free to live life as you please.

Everyone has money. You just need to figure out how to make them give it to you.

Also mechanical engineering is nothing to spit at. Maybe finish up anyway? Youll regret it if you dont.
>>
>>18314448
be a wagecuck and try to maximize your earnings to have a capital to invest, cuck other people with rent and the likes

this is actually what i hope to do if i did go into engineering.I have read a fair few books on investing and would try to use my above average income to rapidly start building equity and get into real estate.
>>18314449
how do you do it? do you just strictly manage your time and schedule things?
>>
>>18314438
> i still can't reconcile the time investment
watch this >>18314432
you can develop a passion for things you're not currently passionate about and be happy.
>>
A real man needs to have something productive to do, when he doesn't the result is a neckbeard on 4chan. Working for a wage will satisfy this need, and an ambitious man aspires to operate his own business but this usually takes years of work to accomplish.
>>
OP you are not being forced to work by our culture, you do not have to settle for it. Most do because they are fine with it or lack the drive to do more. You are a single entity acting in a complex system. You and only you can decide what you want, how to do it and then act.

So, you don't want a monotonous job. What next? It is not up to society to decide this for you. Will you fight or will you perish like a dog?
>>
>>18314432
>>18314473
I've seen this awhile ago but paid scarce attention. i watched it carefully and it was good advice, thanks
>>18314479
you are now, and shall forever remain a peon
>>18314495

I've mostly come full circle with this, after researching it seems to be a least smelly of all the turds situation.
if capitalism is simply the rich assfucking the working man, i shall simply have to aspire to become the rapist
>>
Normal people have outlets for their frustration so they don't mind a shitty job. Hobbies, activities they enjoy.
>>
This entire thread is bullshit. OP is saying that he doesn't want to work and that he wants to live in a state of his own will, but then everyone just replies with basic ass stuff like:
>get a job
>it's just a phase
>maybe you could do this job
>you'll like working :)
>>
>>18314544
Not OP but I don't get how normal people can have such basic and mundane """hobbies""" like watching netflix and think that's enough. Or how they accept that the effort to do a job is huge compared to the little free time they get.
>>
>>18314544
Working for me is a means to an end and that end is doing things I enjoy in my off time and on weekends. Working allows me the money to do those things. I don't entirely hate my job but I can't wait for Friday either. Like most people I've even got plans further out that I'm always looking forward to. I've got something planed for next week that I've been looking forward to for weeks now.
>>
>>18314584
>thinking netflix is a hobby
You're already doing it wrong.

>to little free time
You're still doing it wrong. I work a full time Monday-Friday job and I've frankly got more time than I need still. Granted I get off work at 2 PM and I'm off before noon on Friday. While most people still have a few hours left at work I'm off doing whatever errands or chores I need to do because I still have lots of time during business hours to get them done. So when the weekend roles around my schedule is completely open.

People are miserable because they do it to themselves. I set myself up through hard work with this schedule I have. I didn't just get handed it. I had to work to get it and I got it.
>>
>>18314598
>netflix is not a hobby
You mean that normies have literally no hobbies then.
>>18314598
Well at my age the average person works and studies so that leaves them with very little free time imo. I guess it's about managint time better though and you are probably good at that yourself. Either way you say you have to work to get what you want but I still feel like life is not worth the effort. The only things I care about like writing or drawing or making indie games are hobbies that take me more time than I have.
>>
it gets worse
you get old enough and everyone starts having expectations of you
wife, kids, house, cars
only THEN are you obligated to your stupid cubefarm job
otherwise no one takes you seriously, you are a "manchild"
>>
>>18314580

>it's just a phase

Yeah, it is. This guy >>18314424 has it more or less right. OP is essentially complaining about some bizzaro version of a thing he has not experienced, it's retarded.

>>18314612

>Well at my age the average person works and studies so that leaves them with very little free time imo.

Indeed, but that passes. I never, ever understood people who say life is only getting harder and harder as you age, i.e. "you think studying is hard? wait till you enter the work force buddy, hoho, welcome to the real world ;)" Personally for me, university sucked enormous balls. Every experience, good or bad, was drenched in endless stress about fear of falling behind, constant deadlines, the need to support myself, the complete lack of free time and so on. Six long years of this fucking bullshit.

It paid off, though, or at least I'd like to believe it did. I'm currently holding a quite well paid job with practically no overtime. The job itself is both engaging and pretty easy at the same time, and it leaves me with enough free time to relax witch ever way I want.

So the point of this rambling I guess is finish your studies OP. I know shit sucks, but it's temporary, and it's a very real possibility that you will enjoy your occupation, once you're done. And if not, as other anons stated, you are free to pursue alternatives, once you've accumulated some money.
>>
>>18314301
>The only thing i would consider a "passion" of sorts is reading, i have dabbled in writing and if money was no object this is probably what i would pursue, however realistically i think this is unreasonable as i have no particular talent for it and even with talent it is a leap and a half to make a living from it.

pursueing something is fun, havinf fun costs money, that's one reason to work., work is not always fun, but if you have a reason it atleast sucks less.

what kind of things do you like to read?
>>
>>18314666
varied taste
probably more nonfiction than fiction
philosophy, a bit of economics, biographies.
i read fantasy sometimes as a no brain activity to relax, add some 'literary fiction' and that's about it
>>
>>18314379
so your advice boils down to "suck it up." not really advice is it
>>
>>18314580
fucking glad someone said this
>>
I was, and still am feeling the same. I don't really enjoy my work, and I sure as hell don't enjoy wasting 9hrs a day +commute on stuff I have no particular interest in.

Right now the driving factor for me is that I don't know what I want(or more accurately, I'm not sure what's the next realistic step). I always knew I want to leave my home country, so I did: I took an internship abroad and made it into a job. Right now it's a tradeoff between selling my time versus getting general experiences in life. Every day is a challenge, work or not, as I still don't speak the language nearly well enough. But I'm enjoying the life in general. I started going to the gym again, I picked up bboying again, I spend time drinking at the locals' to get to know the people and the language, and every once in a while I feel I've actually made progress towards... something.

I'm an indecisive person so I figured the best thing is to do something, anything, and change according to level of discomfort. Right now I don't like my job but as I said, it's a tradeoff for something better.
>>
>>18314728
>>18314737

So what advice would you like? Everything has already been said: either finish your studies and get a job - chances are you won't find even nearly as bad as you imagine (or perhaps not even bad at all, especially if you like your co-workers); or you'll have to carve your own path, i.e. starting a business (which is in fact way harder than a regular 9-5) or something else related to your skill set (which, I get the impression, is not particularly large).

Simply huffing and puffing about the fact that you have to do something in life won't change anything and you won't receive any new information. There has never been a time when people did not have to work for their survival, and, despite the wonders of technology and the nowadays popular automation meme, I'm pretty sure there never will be.
>>
>>18314728
It depends on the context. Anon talks about a college degree in which he seems to pass fairly well 2 years in. It's nothing wrong with getting an education.

My point of view is that no matter what he decides to do in life, there will always be things that he have to do that he doesn't like. You think that all writers do is chill out and write a couple of sentences and money flies in to his pocket? No, there are stuff related to writing but still market the book etc. Stuff that he have to do that he most likely doesn't like doing.

Should we all now quit college and be flower children for the rest of our lives?
>>
i feel the same. i sometimes fuckin hate my parents for bringing me into this shithole world. yeah thanks for signing me up for decades of grueling monotony and tedium you narrow minded cunts! hahaa wooooooooocanijustpainlesslydierightnowplease
>>
>>18314685
in that case, keep on reading, you might come accross something, which you want to go into deeper, and for which you need resources, then you'll want to work
>>
>>18314766
You can quit anytime you want, you know.
>>
>>18314778
"quit" as in kill myself, which would be terrifying in itself, as well as bring on GOD knows what (a potential afterlife scares the shit out of me, if i knew for sure that death is a complete end to your conscious experience i most likely wouldve killed myself already), and then there would be the emotional trauma my family would go through because of my death. ive thought about this a lot, suicide isnt exactly a simple solution.
>>
>>18314763
>There has never been a time when people did not have to work for their survival
It always applied for the upper classes and now it's an option for everyone in the first world.
>>
>>18314763
i feel like people like you just cant fathom that for some people there is no job that they could realistically find that wont be miserable. there is no "find a better job" or "it wont be as bad as you think", the issue is with the fundamental aspect of jobs where you dont own your time.

when you combine a person who loathes the fact that they cant do what they want for more than half of their waking hours with a very low tolerance for tedium you get a person who is miserable in basically any job.

ive had a family member remark that they find washing dishes kind of fun. for me, washing dishes is a chore that i dread. you need to understand that people can respond to monotony very differently. the advice of "just deal with it" or "it wont be as bad as you think" is very dismissive to me.

i dont know what advice i need, if i did, i wouldnt need it, but your broken record of "suck it up" does not help.
>>
>>18315100

>the issue is with the fundamental aspect of jobs where you dont own your time.

Well, in that case starting your own business or service of some kind would be the best option. I too have a few friends who seem to have this "owning your time" issue. They did exactly that - keep in mind though, unless you're lucky, getting a business off ground takes a shit ton of work, I can personally attest to that looking at these guys. I'm waaay too lazy for that kind of work.

>when you combine a person who loathes the fact that they cant do what they want for more than half of their waking hours with a very low tolerance for tedium you get a person who is miserable in basically any job.

I'm sorry but this just sounds like childish inability to deal with your own emotions. Maybe I'm just talking shit though, and you're right.

>ive had a family member remark that they find washing dishes kind of fun. for me, washing dishes is a chore that i dread.

Lol, I too despise household chores. Different strokes etc.

>the advice of "just deal with it" or "it wont be as bad as you think" is very dismissive to me.

I'm not trying to be dismissive, but it sounds as if you haven't exactly tried to do the "40 hour work week" routine, and you're already rejecting it as unbearable. But I suppose it's possible that you know yourself well enough.

In any case, trying to acquire some skills that can be turned into a money making service should fit your desires, no?
>>
>>18314409

>when you start a family

LOL
>>
>>18315125

>Well, in that case starting your own business or service of some kind would be the best option.

this isnt terrible advice but this option still involves a shit ton of tedium and a relatively small chance of financial security down the road. it doesnt seem worth it but then neither does working a regular job.

> I'm sorry but this just sounds like childish inability to deal with your own emotions.

this is where we dont relate. i know i sound childish and whiny and dramatic. i wasnt always so bothered by tedious things.

>it sounds as if you haven't exactly tried to do the "40 hour work week" routine, and you're already rejecting it as unbearable.

no but 30 hour work weeks have been extremely draining.

>trying to acquire some skills that can be turned into a money making service should fit your desires, no?

the problem is that i wish i was never born but i dont want to kill myself.
>>
Adult life is very easy when you only have yourself to provide for. Just don't get a family
>>
Alright OP, I've felt like you a lot in the past, so maybe I can help.

The amazing thing about working is that it's kind of like climbing a mountain. At the beginning it's the hardest work, the view sucks, and you know you have a long way to go. But the views become more breathtaking and you get stronger as you move along.

I was very worried that tedium was all I was going to get. And honestly, at the beginning, that is all it was, and all it ever seemed to be. But as I worked harder and moved up in my career, and developed a more diverse skill set, I found that the things I was doing at work were more strategic. Less time plugging numbers into spreadsheets, more time talking strategy. More time at important dinners, or doing cool things I never even dreamed I'd like to be doing.

I've recently been on a six month break (family matters) and I'm ready to get back to it. Solving the issues of the day can be more compelling than solving a puzzle in Zelda or reading a book.

My point is, if you play your cards right, you might discover things you like that you could have never comprehended, and be more excited about adulthood than you thought you would be.

That doesn't mean that everything is perfect, there's a lot of shitty things about being an adult. But strive to experience interesting things, and get out of the bottom jobs, and you might like it.
>>
File: jorge.png (246KB, 346x287px)
jorge.png
246KB, 346x287px
>>18315251

single people in their 40's and 50's seem to be so happy, right?
>>
>>18315341

Yes? Happier than parents who are struggling to pay their bills or figure out how to send multiple children to college, or are getting to the age where they realize their kids are fucking losers and aren't going to amount to anything.

Also not having "a family" doesn't mean you're single. My boss has a husband and she gets to spend her weekends out tending to her horse that she loves to ride. Or on short weekend trips to the beach.

Better than shuffling Tommy and Susie to a baseball game and pretending to enjoy three hours of kids sloppily playing a sport while sitting in the sun.
>>
>>18315367

You speak about this as a person who has no first hand knowledge of parenthood and the benefits it brings. I'm in the same boat, but I'm quite sure that there are things you get out of starting a family which make up for the potential financial issues you might face.

Some people yearn to start a family and absolutely love the experience, other people are happy to go it alone or with a life partner. There's no point in arguing on something like this.
>>
>>18315315
Important dinners talkin strats? Gad damn, sign me up!
>>
>>18315367

I'm sorry for your shit family dude
>>
>>18315378

I'm all for people who want to have families. Great for them. Please do it, and please raise wonderful, happy kids. But, nothing infuriates me more than saying "create a family and solve all of your problems! The solution to your worries is to compromise on the most available mate and hatch out beings you will be eternally responsible for, ensuring that every decision you make for the rest of your time on this earth will have wide-sweeping effects on 2 or more people!"

Having kids should never be seen as a solution to your problems. Only a responsible decision made with someone you care about, with the foresight to care for them.

>>18315389
I'm guessing that's sarcastic, but whatever OP finds in life to be enjoyable. I like those things. Being a hotshot business exec strokes my ego. Maybe for OP, it will be designing something really innovative, or winning some award, or even just getting a job with unlimited vacation, like mine, so he can fuck off.
>>
>>18315416
It's not about a shit family, families can be good. My cousin is a cop and former marine that raised a pretty solid family. But that's what he wanted to do, and always had. Meanwhile, his mom had another kid, afforded the kid all of the same opportunities, but that kid ended up getting convicted of molesting an underage girl, went to prison, got his throat slit, and now he lives on public assistance in a house right next door to her. For the rest of her life, she will be cleaning up after him every time he wets himself.

Kids are Russian roulette. Not a puppy to cheer you up when you're sad.

I might even have kids one day, but I'm certainly not going to because I'm just "supposed" to.
>>
>>18314460
Yes

I'm thinking of upping to 60+ hours a week soon to aim for $200k for the time being
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.