[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Counting my commute into my job search

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: giphy.gif (2MB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
2MB, 300x200px
How much should I legitimately factor in a commute when choosing between two jobs?

I've really wanted to work for this one company for a while now but it's like a 45 minute drive away on a standard morning - could be way worse if there's an accident. The other job is a 10-15 minute commute with two routes I can easily take.

But I feel like a little bitch being worried about a little extra time in the car.
>>
Need more details. With your current information it is a no brainer to go with the shorter route.
>>
Go for the job you think you'll like the most. I would rather drive an hour and a half to a job I like than 10 minutes to a job I didn't. I've had both and trust me, not liking your job is miserable.
>>
>>18312179
>>18312180

Both jobs are pretty much equal. Similar pay, similar responsibilities, but I quit the job with the shorter commute already back in December, and they want me back (of course changing some of the reasons I left, otherwise I wouldn't consider it).

I kind of want to experience the other place, because it's an awesome company, but these are both career-type jobs, I won't be able to just leave if it sucks and find something comparable.

The further job has some possible added income over the closer job if certain bonus conditions are met, though.
>>
Do a cost benefit analysis when it comes to the two jobs, factor in the commutes and what not.
>>
File: 1478385492603.jpg (273KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1478385492603.jpg
273KB, 1920x1080px
Go with the new place. Take the risk. If you've already quit the other job once, even if they claim they've made some changes, you still won't be happy. Lots of people have longer commutes, and training yourself to wake up earlier will actually help you out in the long run. Most of the world's successful professionals are early-risers and calculated risk-takers.
>>
I personally have an adversity to going back to an old job where they promise to change what you didn't like. It's a lot like going back to an old relationship you left. Pretty soon, the things you hated start to creep slowly back in. Unfortunately, history tends to repeat itself. I would go for the new opportunity. You still run the risk of it turning out to be an awful job, but at least you didn't know any better.
>>
>>18312202
Honestly, try the other company, it'll diversify your resume, at least, and if you manage your time properly a 45 min commute isn't that big of a deal
>>
>>18312150
Which job has the most qt grills working there?

That one.
>>
>>18313104

This is part of my cost-benefit analysis, I think factoring in whether or not the commute is going to be that big of a pain in the ass is my biggest mystery - I've never worked more than a confident 30 minutes away... this is really far.

>>18313106
>>18313111

While a very big chunk of me thinks you're both right, there's an equally large part that realizes that I may have made a mistake looking for greener pastures. I left and ended up at a company that was bullshit, and realized as I started job hunting again that I'd fucked up and given up something great. These are probably the two best employers in the city for my position. It's not often someone will take you back after dumping them to "upgrade."

>>18313467

The shorter commute job, by far.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.