[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's only so much I can handle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: zomboid.jpg (191KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
zomboid.jpg
191KB, 1366x768px
I'm a computer science major about to finish up my degree. I'm barely managing to stay alive this quarter. Doing pretty decent, 2 B's 2 A's, 3/4 of my classes are CS, but it's at the cost of my sanity. I barely have times to hang out with my friends, play vidya gaymes, or sleep. I'm sleeping around 4-6 hours a night. I'm at my wits end. I've been resorting more to overdoing caffeine, nicotine, alcohol. It's not healthy.

After this quarter, I only have to do 4 free elective classes. 2 over the summer, 2 next fall quarter and then I graduate with somewhere around a 3.3-3.4 gpa.

I'm getting pressured way too hard lately by my family to find a job. I get it and I totally agree that I need to find a job. I want a job. But my family is acting like I'm being a lazy money sink because I'm not looking for a job right now, which largely has to do with the fact that I'm tied up at school. This is the hardest quarter I've taken, two of my CS classes are grad level classes and one of them is my senior year project (which if I do well on, will make my resume look really strong). My parents this morning threatened to stop giving me money for rent and food, which sounds like I'm being an entitled rich kid, but I'm paying tuition by myself with a scholarship and a student loan. I physically can't work, otherwise I would still be working at my part time job bartending (which most of that money went towards paying off my car payments).

I just don't know what to do anymore. My therapist says I'm having adjustment disorder, and I can see it. I'm stressed out constantly and I'm getting this nervous tremors a lot lately. I just want all of this stress to end. What do I do? And am I hopeless in finding a CS job because I'm ending late?
>>
lol CS jobs are impossible to find
you have to compete with offshore pajeets and asians who worked harder and sacrificed more than you just to get here

if you did good with networking, you should be fine
>>
>>18312113

I have pretty good networks. A few of my friends put me down as referrals for some big companies. One kid who's working for one of the big dick companies, who I used to do homework for (he went to a top 5 school for CS), is trying to get me in when I'm done with college.

I would say I have roughly 4-5 reliable contacts that can hook me up with the interviews, and like 5 that might lead me into one. The finding a job related to CS at my school is pretty high, especially within my city (something like 75% find work within the first 6 months, 85% find within the year)
>>
Set up a couple interviews. Do it at places you don't like, maybe not even really qualified for. Why?

1. Gets parents off your back
2. Most important - gets you some interview experience.

Then, once you are done with school you have a little experience and you can start hitting the jobs you really want.

You could also look into internships. No money, perhaps, but again - this takes care of 1 and 2 above. With the experience part in either interviews or internship being the most important of the two.

Finally, talk to your parents. Let them know you have a solid GPA and you want to position yourself for the future. Let them know a job is really important to you and you are making an effort to set up your life.
>>
Dear OP

Look in the medical field. There's asatons of CS and data jobs to be had. Population health requires amazing numbers of proframmers, database engineers, data scientists, network developers. Every hospital system and major corporation under the sun is screaming for qualified candidates
>>
>>18312201
I've actually been really curious about this field. My senior year software project is actually setting up a website where doctors can access patient records and do diagnostic journaling with an algorithm that can do basic diagnosis analysis (so if someone has twitching hands, cold sweats, etc. the algorithm would give a list of top 5 most likely)
>>
>>18312226
What you're describing is predictive analytics. This is already being done by every electronic health care / electronic medical record company out there. Look up John hopkins population health predictive model. Every dataste analytics company runs this or a derivation of this.

That being said, electronic health records and population health analytics is very much like the Wild Wild West and Gold Rush at the same time. Everybody Under the Sun wants to make a platform to do something and everybody Under the Sun wants to make a record system that they can sell to Physicians and Clinics and hospitals. This is actually the field of work that I am in as a medical data analyst. I s*** you not, if you can get in with one of these groups like "eclinicalworks" or another one called "the garage" then you'll be on the Forefront of developing what will be come, in about 10 or 15 years, the foundation of a national Healthcare Database Network.
>>
Computer Science made me want to kill myself.
Maybe it's just life in general, maybe I use computer science as a mild escapism from real life.

Everything fucking sucks eh.
>>
>>18312423
Word I'll take a look into it. That sounds pretty interesting. I just know from one of my profs that it's a little bit of a challenging field because of the fact that you want the UX/UI design to be as easy as possible, because doctors don't want to learn new software. Plus making sure algorithms are running efficiently and at high speeds is super important.

>>18312497
Yeah I feel I've become a functional alcoholic because of CS, but that might just be college.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.