[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Job

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1492551891872.png (170KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1492551891872.png
170KB, 512x512px
Personal shit you won't care about but a part of my reasoning for wanting to be a game developer
[spoiler]
>Grow up with video games, no friends at school or anything fancy like that
>Decent grades
>Starts to get memed on by other students and gets depression
>grades and self esteem drop
>Fastforward until i'm in my last year of school
>Have to get a job soon
[/spoiler]

>No job available to me interests me in the slightest
>Decide i want to be a game developer because vidya helped me cope
>Grades are extremely shit so i can't study programming
>Lurk in programming/game development threads
>See & take advice
>Do the Unity tutorials as i'm told to learn programming
>By the end of it i still had no clue
>Few weeks pass and i ask my friend if he can teach me
>He shows me how to do shit in visual studio but it doesn't help and we both give up
>Try again 3 months later
>Finish the tutorials on unity AGAIN and still don't know how to write a line of code

It seems i can't manage learning programming on my own and i can't get into a school to learn due to being an absolute retard.

What do??? I'm just lost at this point so i decided to ask you guys, do i just give up?

tl;dr i'm too autistic to be a game dev,i'll end up killing myself if i do any other job
>>
>>18311937
tfw spoiler tag didn't even work, god i'm so incapable
>>
>>18311937
I was in your position about a year ago. Dropped out of high school with no grades etc. but I was somewhat talented at programming but that doesn't matter in hindsight; even if I was a prodigy employers don't care due to my age and lack of Highers (Scottish end of high school qualifications). At the end of the day people don't want to employ inexperienced 17 year olds. Why would they? Imo the best place to be at this age is in education. Not only for the sake of being employable but for the social benefits too.

> but how do I get into education with no grades???

Portfolios. Plain and simple. I wish I had been told this. If you look at courses at college or whatever, the required qualifications aren't set in stone. Email the head of the course and ask if a portfolio would be accepted in place of qualifications. From my experience they'll say yes 9 times out of 10.

> how do I make a portfolio with no programming skills???

Learn how to learn. The biggest hurdle to overcome in leaving school is believing that you are a failure. Everyone, including yourself, will assume you're a mongoloid due to leaving - so you have to prove them wrong. I used the motivation of proving everybody wrong to get gud enough to work freelance as a web developer. I found the best way to learn is to start from the ground up. Make yourself a project. Start with something easy and try your best to achieve in whatever way you can. I encourage you to use Google as much as possible. Then start another project. You'll reuse the stuff you just learned and then learn some new stuff.

From the past 9 months of work I was able to put together a portfolio and was accepted into Dundee university to do a degree in computer science. So it does work
>>
Game devving is a hobby, with some possible sidecash, not a career. Unless youre VERY lucky. Most Indie studios will fail, and most solo developers will never make enough money to support themselves.

Also, programming is a skill that if you can teach yourself, youll never be able to do it professionally. It relies HEAVILY on problem solving and figuring out how to do things.
>>
>>18312026
sorry for the late response but thanks for the advice
>>
I don't mean to be disheartening but I feel like if you've put real effort into learning programming and you 1) didn't understand it and 2) didn't enjoy it, then having a plan to devote your whole career to that discipline just seems pretty stupid. If you're really serious about it then I don't want to stop you, but you have to find something that you actually enjoy doing or you'll never want to learn anything just for the sake of learning. That doesn't mean it won't happen. Some tutorials are just bad and uninspiring, maybe you're looking at the wrong ones. People are wired differently and learn differently, etc. But I'd have a real think about your motivations for going this route.

If you just want to work in the industry because you're passionate about it then there are roles within games development that don't involve any knowledge of programming, just probably not ones that afford you much creative control. Not that the average programmer has creative control anyway, they mostly just make things to specification.

Just remember that working on something that you believe in doesn't equal a stress-free career. Being a professional developer is frequently a stressful experience, which is why I think you have to love something about it to keep doing it.
>>
>>18311937
Uh, why haven't you tried some shit like Game Maker yet? In my opinion it's easier to learn that and workable design skills over programming.
>>
>>18312672
Game maker has its own language and i want to learn a language i can use on multiple things
>>
My assumption is that your starting at too difficult a point and need to start with the basics before moving on. Might need to ditch the unity tutorials for something that teaches basic programming concepts.

For me the only way to learn programming is to read, then do. This means studying a particular segment, say making simple functions, then make one of your own. Keep writing them until you get the hang of it, then move on to the next segment.

If you are doing a class online that, say, teaches you how to make a simple list or calculator program, do the course material then create your own calculator/list program after without the step by step guidance. Reference the material or stack overflow/google when you get stuck. Never assume that you can implement a certain concept from reading and understanding it. You have not really learnt it yet until you can actually recreate it on your own,
>>
https://scs.senecac.on.ca/~ipc144/index.html
>>
>>18311937
>Learning through Unity Tutorials
Dude learn some C++ if you really want to get into Game Dev. Also create Games yourself, for example, in Unreal Engine using C++. I would also go to the MIT website and do some Courses there, really good for learning imo.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.