[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

c o n f u s e d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_3920.jpg (98KB, 600x837px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3920.jpg
98KB, 600x837px
I don't know if I want to join the army when I finish high school, or if I want to go to college. My grades aren't that great, and I don't have a lot of money, but I know that if I try hard enough, I can do it. But, then again, when he was young I wanted to join the army, and I still do, kind of. I don't fucking know.
>>
When i* was young.
Sorry, I'm a fucking dumbass
>>
>>18310555
Here's the thing, if you do go into the Army, they will control your life for at least six years, but you can choose what job you do so you don't have to be infantry (nor do I recommend it). After those six years though, you'll get to use the GI bill which will pay for your schooling. If I were in your shoes, I would enlist. Plus, while you're in, you don't make a lot of money but they provide food and housing so it's all take home and you get good insurance.
>>
That's kinda what I was thinking. I have an one of those edgy faggots from school as my friend. You know, the kind of kids that always say theyre going to shoot up the school, and believe in zombies? He says he's gonna enlist, and that i should too, because it'll pay for me to go to college, so yeah.
>>
>>18310648
I'm gonna be blunt with you; you shouldn't associate with that person, or at least don't mention them at all to your recruiter and don't tell that friend that you're planning on enlisting. I had a friend like that in school and they only cause problems because those types of people also tend to speak for others. Is there anything you're interested in career-wise or even just hobbies you like doing?
>>
Well, I've been taking as many digital-arts related classes as I can, and I want to do something like animation, and stuff. I have like 2 more years to think about it. Also, I've all but cut ties with the kid. Twice he punched me in the face because I disagreed with him on shit. I don't like to talk about him to anyone, really.
>>
>>18310663
Well, two years is plenty of time to buckle down and get your grades up. It's not a matter of being smart or not, what matters is actually trying, asking teachers questions, reading the material. Also if you want to be an animator or an artist, I recommend taking drawing seriously and learning your fundamentals if you haven't already. If you don't want to join the military, you can always go to a community college to save money and then transfer to a university. If you do want to join the military, there are a lot of options. Here's an MOS that would probably suit you pretty well:

http://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/browse-career-and-job-categories/arts-and-media/multimedia-illustrator.html

If you have any questions about careers or the military just ask me, I have a stupid amount of knowledge about that shit.
>>
Thanks, man. You've been a big help.
>>
>>18310672
No problem. Good luck with whatever you do. Also, don't feel bad because you're in high school, no one has their shit figured out. Most people in their 20s still don't have shit figured out.
>>
>>18310640
So if I join the army and request to become some sort of programmer or engineer, they'll make me onto one no questions asked?
>>
>>18310677
Sort of. With the programmer thing, there are a few jobs in the military where you would actually learn how to do shit. There aren't really any engineering jobs in the military that teach you actual engineering though (technically there is combat engineers, but I assume you mean like mechanical or electrical engineering). The tricky thing about some recruiters is they will try to trick you into taking a certain job because they need to get it filled but you just have to put your foot down. If you're interested in being a programmer, I'd actually recommend joining the Air Force (fuck, even if you don't want to be a programmer, they have a better quality of life than all the other branches). Here's something that may interest you:

https://www.airforce.com/careers/detail/cyber-surety
>>
>>18310682
Appreciate your insight. I'll check out the link
>>
>>18310682
>>18310694
Oh, one more thing. I'll be 22 in 6 months. Is it odd to join at this age(instead of 18) or would I blend in and be treated the same as OP?
>>
>>18310698
Basic training is a great equalizer. You'll all be shaven and crushed together and raised together regardless of your age. Plenty of people older than you enlist all the time, so don't worry, you're still pretty young.
>>
OP I'm going to lay out all the positives and negatives for you.

Firstly, I'm in the Air Force, so I can't speak on quality of life in the Army with any firsthand experience. With that being said, I have heard nothing but griping coming from the green side towards the Air Force about how good we have it. Take that for what you will.

Now, for the benefits of joining the military;
-Free housing
-Free food
-Free dental, medical, mental health, etc.
-Job security, provided you don't majorly fuck up.
-Networking and friendships, you're going to make some of the best, longest lasting friendships of your life.
-Travel, you could potentially be stationed at any Post that has availability for your MOS, including Europe, Asia.
-You learn how to supervise people earlier than most civilians do. Combine that with the work ethic the military gives, you're a very valuable new hire in the civilian sector.
-Tuition assistance, you will get ~4 thousand dollars per year to take classes while you are in.
-GI Bill, you will have your tuition, housing, books, etc paid for after your time of separation if you decide to go to school. If you don't, you can pass this benefit on to your dependents.
-30 days of paid leave, plus you get comp days thrown at you all the time,

Negatives
-They will work the shit out of you. You're on salary, they will take advantage of that and have you work as much as possible.
-For the time that you are in, your personal life and work life are almost intertwined. You won't be able to escape from work.
-Supervision loves to fuck the little guys. Prepare to enjoy the suck.
-It can be a stressful lifestyle, depends on the person.

That's been my experience so far, don't take this decision lightly because it is a huge one that will determine the next four to six years of your life.
>>
>>18310555
Join the military
Travel the world
Meet many exotic peoples
Who will try very hard to kill you.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.