[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Break Up Advice Please

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: a setting sun.png (855KB, 1200x558px) Image search: [Google]
a setting sun.png
855KB, 1200x558px
I am going to break up with my girlfriend of five months next week. I already had misgivings going in to the relationship, but I felt it was one of those things where if you never give it a shot, both of you will always wonder what might have been. In the five months, some of the misgivings have developed into confirmation that we are not compatible. I have been feeling less and less romantic with her the last two months to the point where I have to remind myself to pose my lips when she goes in for a kiss rather than her approach being an automatic trigger.

Though I started realizing slack in my feelings a couple months ago, I wanted to give the relationship time to breathe to see if we could revive the initial feelings of value, but they have not returned for me. I want to transition this romantic relationship into a friendship because, while we have a lot in common, she is not someone I want to build a life with. I am also one of the few social connections she has to draw her outside of her apartment, and I want her to stay connected to the world.

Where I feel I need advice. She is an anxious person to the point of taking medication. I feel that at the time of break up, she will need a place to retreat to and be alone, but I also don't want her to associate any place in her apartment as a place where bad things happen. Prior to my decision to break up, I have read that couples should never argue in bed because that location becomes a place of contention associated with fighting. I know that breaking up at my apartment is a bad idea for the same reason, if I want to stay friends. I feel that breaking up in public will also not be good, not that any break up is ever good. I don't know where I will break up, and I only know a few words I will say. I will include "I want us to stay meaningful to each other," because I do want us to have a place in each other's lives, but it cannot continue in a romantic way.

I know we need time apart to rebuild our senses of self.
>>
First of all, she doesn't owe you a friendship afterwards.

Secondly, what is your reasoning about not doing it in public?
>>
>>18310084
I feel that she is worth friendship, definitely.

Regarding avoiding a public break up, I feel she may react super hugely emotionally after the break up, and I don't want that to be something she has to deal with, with strangers watching. I still hold a lot of value for her as a person, just not as a lover.
>>
File: 16336835586_b8b4641c02_b.jpg (154KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
16336835586_b8b4641c02_b.jpg
154KB, 1024x576px
There are things that she will do that are a turn-off to me, but they are not explicitly bad or harmful things, so I know it is unfair to ask her to change them.

>Constant interruption of conversation flow with non sequitur. Another friend is fond of saying in appropriate context "c'est la vie," French for "such is life," which my girlfriend will unfailingly respond to with "la vee" and a wry look on her face, among other things that detract from a conversation rather than add to it.

>Her laugh is startlingly piercing and hard to tolerate if she is sitting right next to me, especially if we are cuddled up and her mouth is right near to my ear. She will chuckle in a good way sometimes, but if she gets on a humorous tear, it just makes me want to do something else somewhere else.

>An age difference. I am 31 and she is 22. This is not necessarily a problem in any relationship, but in ours there is an obvious difference of life experience that I don't feel comfortable making her catch up with.

>She does not plan to do anything with her university degree. We are both college undergraduates. After this school, I want to go on to graduate school to become a speech therapist. She has explicitly said she is not interested in grad school. She wants to make a living from a web comic she has been writing but has not yet found an illustrator for and a YouTube channel that she has literally zero content on. I have encouraged her a few times to act on these interests and get them rolling, but she has not done anything about it.

>Uses a handkerchief to wipe her nose in public, saying her nose is runny when I have seen no indication that it is, that she will then fold up and put back in her pocket. I think this is a function of her anxiety. (who even uses a hanky anymore)

Again, it's not harmful stuff, but man is it a bunch of turn-offs.
>>
it was five months. stop being such a faggot
>>
I also worry that after the break up, she will thoroughly withdraw from doing stuff, not only from getting out of the house but also from taking care of herself. She already does a spotty job of eating and, at times, housekeeping, so I can only imagine how unmotivated she will be to keep up with self-care. I guess at this moment, not having a job and not taking summer school courses she would fail to show up at may work in her favor.

She does not have a history of self-harm and any suicidal thoughts were had only in high school, so I am not worried about her doing anything deadly, but still, I know she is not very good at pulling herself out of the dumps. Prior to breaking up, I am thinking about asking a couple of our mutual friends to try to keep up with her by text, as she is not the type to reach out to others in a rough situation. I really do hope I am underestimating her resilience to bounce back.
>>
OP, stop.
You've been together for 5 months. I had a toothbrush for longer than that once.
You're breaking up for completely idiotic reasons. There is no perfect person who is 100% amazing for you and doesn't have ONE annoying detail about themselves.

Do it, avoid her after, don't expect any friendship. Stop treating her like she's a retarded baby who can't handle herself.
>>
>>18312119
That is what I needed to read. Thanks.
>>
OP you seem to care for her but at the same time dislike her. You are picking on her havit of using a handkerchief?? Unless she is forcibly stuffing it in your mouth, why would you care. Because you don't like her.
Break up with her knowing that you dont owe each other anything, esp friendship. Staying friends with exes is the worst meme. Never do it. Notjing good ever comes out of it. Break up, tell her your genuine reasons, tell her you wish her well. Make a clean break.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.