[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I become a Game Designer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

so im currently in a top ten law school, but i absolutely hate law school and i dont see why i wouldnt hate law itself and actual practice

ive been depressed for a few years, constantly ruminating on death. rarely does a day go by where i dont think of death

one day i met up with my sibling and we were talking and we both discussed this idea of creating a game

for the first time in a long time, ive felt genuine passion and enthusiasm for something (aside from lifting)

for the first time in a long while, i have something to look forward too

for the first time in long time, i havent thought about suicide on a daily basis

should i transition to becoming a game designer? or should i be a lawyer?

i understand my biggest weakness is that i have nothing to offer other than "ideas"
i realize ideas are a dime a dozen
but ideas still have some value, right?

ive begun writing a game design document, twenty pages long so far, detailing the game and how it should be

i took a single coding class in high school once, and did pretty bad in it
is coding hard to pick up? law school revolves a lot around logic and reasoning, perhaps that could help with picking up coding?

ive also been watching some tutorials and videos about map making and i was thinking perhaps thats another area that i could play a part in, and perhaps from that, also help out with the art and graphics

im hoping that the best case scenario is this
finish a detailed game design document that is essentially the blue print for the game, so everything that needs to be programmed is listed and described
have the general map created, with minimal art work using free art work
look for potential investors
once funding is acquired, have programmers turn the blue print into something real

im not looking to make the next big hit
10-20k players would be a great milestone for me
>>
>>18308978
no
>>
I'm a game artist, honestly, if it's what you really want to do, do it. But especially as a designer (designers are everywhere, good modelers aren't) you'll be in for a rough time. If that's with you great. If not, please don't come back here and say "ohhh I fell for this and that meme". It's your life and you determine your path.
>>
>>18308978
Game Design solely as your only skill won't get you anywhere, idea guys are everyone anon remember this.
>>
>>18309013
what if i got involved somehow else, like as an assistant? and then maybe a pm?

i hate law school and law, and i feel like a lot of my depression stems from that
but i keep having this notion that a law career is the path to normie hood, and i just want to be a normie

and like you said, im so afraid that following this game path will end up falling through and then what am i left with?
im already too old, 27

thanks for your advice
>>
>>18308978
>but ideas still have some value
Nah. Like sure, a tiny bit more value than absolutely nothing but beyond that, they are pretty much worthless.

>law school revolves a lot around logic and reasoning, perhaps that could help with picking up coding?
It should be doable for almost anybody with enough time either way.

>also help out with the art and graphics
And what makes you think that you can do it without a background there?

If we're talking about some 2d-2.5d shit (and mobile games) it might be perfectly doable with a small team but everything more is pretty unlikely. Even more unlikely that anyone will invest in the stuff unless you find some gullible people on kickstarter. Sounds like the process of creating and mindmapping was simply an enjoyable contrast to the rest of your life.

You should definitely rethink your career if you hate law already but it doesn't sound like you care enough about MAKING games to bother with it as next direction.
>>
>>18309031
yeah, actually looking into pixel art graphics, isometric view
also a mobile game is what im looking at as well
so i was hoping that the learning curve to making retro fashioned graphics wouldnt be as dramatic
>>
>>18309037
Well, it's definitely much easier than modern 3D shit but still a lot, like A LOT more complicated than it seems at start. Besides, then the focus shifts on gameplay or story, with the later being much harder than it seems too. It's all perfectly doable if you aren't retarded and have the time and discipline to learn but it just doesn't sound like it's worth the switch now from the sound of your motivation and expectations. Also the majority of the work will be much less enjoyable than coming up with good ideas.

Law is definitely the easier way for comfy normie life, although probably an even worse idea if you hate it was much. Do you have some time, say in summer to mess around and see whether your enthusiasm survives the first hurdles?
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.