[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need advice on how to deal with someone who gives bullshit

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_4884.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4884.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I need advice on how to deal with someone who gives bullshit doubletalk answers to direct questions. Particularly if it's something unpleasant or something they don't want to admit.

My SO has been becoming more and more destructive in life. Apartment is disgusting; my standards aren't high. Not going to a full week of work in months. Not keeping up with bills or leases. It's gotten to the point that I question it.

>did you go to work today?
"I got work done"
>did you go? Like, physically leave your apartment?
"I worked on a contract and made calls"
Spoiler- no one went in to work that day. Just say so. Add the extra info afterward if you want.

The act itself isn't what makes me lose my shit- it's the level of bullshitting involved. And it makes me question OR scrutinize EVERYTHING because I don't know if I'm being bullshitted or not. It's insulting. I'm here to support and help, but I can't if you politician-talk me. That's one example out of a million. It's never quite admitted to, and it's never really gotten better. It's like... how they're wired. Everything is an attack, regardless of whether or not it's an actual truth, and everything has gotta be defended or deflected.

Man I dunno what to do. Are you like this? Are people you know like this?
>>
My boyfriend is like this. I just don't ask him anything anymore and have emotionally distanced myself from him.
>>
>>18308836
10/10 made laugh because of monogamy
>>
>>18308836
Jesus dude that's not good. I don't want to end up in a situation like that. I might have to for my own sanity but then what's the point of being together at all?

Is he like that with you or everyone?
>>
>>18308848
I don't get it

>>18308849
I don't know either but it's like, at a certain point you realize you are not going to change another person so the only thing you can do is worry about yourself. It was making me feel bad when he did this so I just stopped creating situations where I knew he would. The only thing you can do is point it out to him and try to have an honest talk about it. But I think you know how that will go. Prepare to struggle.
>>
>>18308881
Thanks for your kind words. I'm in a super dark place right now.

Things are bad. I'm hitting a breaking point. I can't just detach and deal with it- it's not an ok thing for a person to do... to just bullshit constantly. It's as if they're unable to just STOP. I guess I was hoping for some magical phrase. But it doesn't exist...
>>
>>18308891
You must talk to him, that's really the only thing you can do. It's a change that has to happen between the two of you. Tell him how important this is. It's damaging your relationship. He NEEDS to communicate with you about it. Just make your best effort, anon. You've got to.
>>
>>18308896
I have man. That's the thing. I'm not the type to be upset by something and not lay it all out on the table.

I don't like threatening breaking up with someone, and this seems small, but it's not. It feels like a basic lack of respect and it breaks trust and that's a big deal.

But when confronted with the bullshitting, there's usually bullshitting/dodging/deflecting about that. It's like I can't get anywhere. Small issues turn into huge ones because of all the attempts to skirt around it.
>>
>>18308826
>>18308836
Why the fuck would you date people like that?
>>
>>18308906
>But when confronted with the bullshitting, there's usually bullshitting/dodging/deflecting about that.
Yeah this is why I said it's a struggle. You may have to get really nasty in order to get through to him. Do not let him off the hook so easily. Do not let him "skirt around," stay on topic and call him out EVERY time he makes an attempt to change the topic. You may have tried before but you need to change your technique because evidently it wasn't effective.

I'm talking from experience anon. I'm a really nice, sweet, empathetic person and that's the approach I take to dealing with problems, but it just doesn't work for some people. You have to be harsh and a hardass to make them see the light. Get in his face with irrefutable evidence, examples of him doing this, do anything you can to at least get him to ADMIT what he's doing. If he can at least acknowledge it's a problem then you can work together from there. That'll be the hardest part I think.
>>
>>18308910
You don't find these kind of traits out until later anon. But everyone has their shitty traits it's worth trying to work it out before you just dump someone and move on to the next person who will be just as fucked up but in a different way.
>>
>>18308911
This is how our fights escalate. Me pushing the issue. But in the end nothing feels accomplished. I'm really heartbroken dude I can express how much the fact I'm not alone means to me.
Suddenly the subject is attempted to be changed to that time I stormed out, or someone has a heacahe they can't talk or they're going to have a panic attack and they're too tired to talk. I can't take it.

>>18308913
I agree. It's not something that was super evident. It's a defense mechanism that I should be above having it used on me. It's been long enough I've proven myself a friend and not foe, and I deserve to be talked to straight.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.