[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you deal with relatives that have mental problems? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1491271720906.png (217KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1491271720906.png
217KB, 1000x1000px
How do you deal with relatives that have mental problems?

It has been 6 months since i started living with a couple of uncles of mine because their apartment is very close to my current work. One of them has some sort of slight autism and some times he acts like a child even though he is around 40.

Interacting with him is kind of a pain because he has been bothering me everyday with some stuff he does, like:

>Leaving shiploads of used drinking glasses in the sink without washing any of them.
>Getting up in the middle of the night and turning on the lights of the room we share multiple times
>Once he tries to get your attention he never stops until you look at him
>If you raise your voice in any way he thinks you are screaming or angry.
>If you point out something that is blatantly wrong or false he will never accept it even if you prove him wrong.
>if you try to change something and provide suggestions, he will simply find any excuse to not do it.

My other uncle is cool and he does go trough the stuff i do because he works until late and has his own bedroom.

i don't know how do deal with him so i can live in peace in the apartment. Is either that or go back into taking 3 hours commune just to get to work.
>>
>>18307878
>Leaving shiploads of used drinking glasses in the sink without washing any of them.
>Getting up in the middle of the night and turning on the lights of the room we share multiple times
Seems to me his just used to living alone.

Why would you just ignore someone who tries to talk to you? Grow up.

Again sounds like a problem with you. Why do you need to raise your voice? Learn to deal with people without getting so worked up about it.

>If you point out something that is blatantly wrong or false he will never accept it even if you prove him wrong.
>if you try to change something and provide suggestions, he will simply find any excuse to not do it.
All humans do that. Get used to it.

Don't expect instant change and thank him for even the attempt to do these things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VM1UA0pCMQ
>>
>>18307878
I assume it's autism?
When my friend told me he was bipolar I read about the mental illness so I knew how to interact.
If it is autism it's also not impossible to help him get shit together, but it takes patience and shouldn't be your problem.
>>
Excellent pic of the best gem, so might as well give advice.

I would talk to your other uncle about the autistic uncle's behavior. Don't call your other uncle a dick or attack his person, instead bring up these specific behaviors. Make sure you don't complain about just the behaviors, but how they make you feel specifically. I.e. "whenever uncle leaves out his dishes, I am upset because I do not like clutter and I do not think it's fair that I have to clean up for him."
Since you haven't been living there as long as them you have less of an authority, but the other uncle will have more sway. If he acts like a child, being direct with him and saying "you are annoying" without the backup of your uncle might lead to him being passive aggressive/vengeful. If the other uncle doesn't want to deal with this or thinks it's not a big deal, keep the conversations with the autistic uncle very basic and short.

If he is autistic, empathy that is second nature to some people will not come naturally to him. You need to ask "if I did this to you, how would you feel?". He also might just be a dick and not care.

In the mean time
Don't do his dishes
Acquire an eye mask
See previous: "I am busy right now. If I did this to you while you were busy, how would you feel?"
Unfortunately you might just need to keep it monotone with him. I don't see a better solution. Sorry.
Avoid arguing with him. If he's wrong and you NEED to correct him, say he's wrong, then drop the subject. Refuse to engage.
>>
>>18308323
To is probably bit but ill bit it anyways:

He has always lived with more than one people his entire life. He has around 6 brothers and sisters who used to live together.

If im doing something important, like talking on the phone, studying or having a conversation with someone else he will always do that no matter how much you ask him to wait.

If i say literally anything with a slightly raised voice, like when i hear a funny joke and laugh loudly or when i ask something from accross the apartament he thinks im angry or that something happened.

No in the way he does, he starts to desperately try to find reasons to validate his points or starts changing the subject to whatever was on TV even though he was not watching, in fact even if you try talking about whatever is on tv hw will not be able to answer anyways because he doesn't watch anything at all on tv he will just try to change the discussion again by switching channels.

Tl;dr - i wouldnt be mentioning all this stuff if it wasnt unusual as fuck behavior
>>
>>18307878
Except for the nighttime turning on lights, which you ought to be able to talk to him about, the solution to everything else is simply to ignore it.
>>
Do you pay rent?

If you do, spend that rent money on a different apartment.

If you're not, keep quiet and be appreciative.
>>
>>18308481
>>18308608
Ill try to ignore and avoid him as much as i can i guess. For the turning the lights problem i actually bought a eye mask but he always stotm in and out the room making one hell one a noise, and he does thay multiple times in a row.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.