[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Deleted all of my social media accounts on January 1st >Started

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: MuhNormiebook.jpg (5KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
MuhNormiebook.jpg
5KB, 192x262px
>Deleted all of my social media accounts on January 1st
>Started walking to the library every day
>Lost 25 lbs So far
>Canceled my cable and Netflix subs
>Read and write every day instead
>Starting to regain an interest in my hobbies
>Actually have read about 30ish books so far, this year
>Starting to notice that others around me are always glued to their phone
>notice that people can't really hold a meaningful conversation

What exactly is happening here? I took the simple advice that you guys gave my back in December of "Go outside" and "delete your Normiebook accounts", and it actually is working, but how?

What should my next step be?
>>
Dude just download all those TV shows you're missing out on on the internet thats a good solution
>>
>>18307860
Kek! This is literally what I've done. Downloaded a bunch of older stuff that you can't find anymore.

Anyone have any suggestions of older movies, TV series, or anime that's good to watch? I like Fantasy and sci Fi stuff, but I'm literally down with anything.
>>
>>18307871
The 2004 Battlestar Galactica TV series was great.
>>
>>18307871
>>18307873

Lexx, if you like low-budget weird sci-fi stuff. There are occasional guest appearances by famous actors doing absurd shit.
>>
>>18307877
I've heard of this, but never seen it. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks.
>>
>>18307855
those are only good things if you feel more fulfilled in doing them.

if you are, great. wtf are you doing back here?
>>
>>18307855
Don't listen to the others OP, they're just trying to drag you back.

What are your goals? What was your initial reasoning for cancelling all that media? Tell us more about it.
>>
>>18307920
I think my response is twofold.

1.I just wanted to say thanks for helping me, and that the advice I received of "Go outside" and "Lol just delete your Normiebook" actually worked. I would suggest if anyone else feels unfulfilled with their life and they don't already do those things, give it a try and see if it makes you feel any better.

2. I just wondered if anyone me that have an explanation for why something as simple as going outside and forcing you to make a decision makes you feel any better than just relaxing on the computer. And I'm equally curious of whether anyone has an explanation for why I feel better socially, even though I don't have any more "friends", I don't feel as alone.
>>
>>18307946
i see.

well, for #1 if you dare to wade back into chaos here, don't do it for literal or mental masturbation; do it because you think you have something to offer.

and as for #2 decision-making and prioritizing are inherent skills of functioning adults, and when they acheive a desired result, it creates a positive feedback loop to continue the behavior.

also, relaxing on PC is nice, but it doesn't have a 'cycle' or an ebb and flow, its just a constant info dump. for most people, that kind of 'noise floor' is ... not healthy.
>>
literally same except
-my weight is and will always be fine (i have some sort of problem i can't get fat no matter how much i eat)
-i stopped watching tv like 4 years ago. havent looked back and i'v never had netflix sub
-i barely read few books but i re read what i read most of the time
-spend most time on hobbies and studying cause few months ago i realized how behind i was to even the average level

just found this website. pretty gud
http://asoftmurmur.com/
>>
>>18307946
In ops position, I've been getting out more. I still prefer chilling at home every night but I can't exactly get girls that way. Pussy is a strong motivator.
>>
>>18307933
That's the thing, I'm not sure that I have any tangible goals. Like, to a certain extent I feel fulfilled in what I'm doing now, But if something as simple as "Go outside" has provided this much of a change, I woukd be willing to see if anyone has the "next step" in the process.

I don't know what made me get rid of all the media. Honestly, I just said that I was spending a lot of time seeing that other people were having more successful lives than me, and an Anon said "just delete it". Then, some other Anon said I couldn't, due to "fear of missing out" and that everyone in the 21st century had to have social media. It made me more determined.

Everything else seemed to fall into place naturally. For a long time I stopped enjoying things I used to like. I didn't feel inspired. But now I'm regaining an interest in those things for some reason.

I don't know what toake of my sudden interest in books. I used to think reading was "okay", and doing it for school was a pain, but now I feel stupid for missing out this entire time. I like reading on a whole bunch of subjects. I started with a high-schools level book on physics, then read about human experimentation, then started reading about different countries and war. I read the Lord of the Rings on a rainy weekend, then some books about architecture and American pioneers and settlers. I went from literally watching "sportsball" and capeshit movies and never reading, to not being able to stand that shit.

Part of me feels so stupid for wasting all of this time on that shit.
>>
>>18307961
I feel like people in my generation have lost the drive to actually pursue hobbies. People used to get interested in things in their REAL WORLD. People used to get invested in imaginative writings instead of just staring at a screen and sending Snapchat messages.

Maybe I should take up woodworking or something.
>>
>>18307961
Thanks brother never heard of that soft mur I love it. It is oddly soothing
>>
>>18307977
Okay, well, how about career goals? What are your current passions and hobbies? You say you have rekindled your passion for them, could you pursue them more fervently or make a career out of it?

I'm really glad for you, Anon. I might do the same thing. Super encouraging.
>>
>>18308005
Well, I hope to encourage someone else. Honestly, I would like to pose the same challenge to my friends and family. Maybe I should work on being an example for them.

Maybe I can write a self-help book or something, one day.
>>
>>18308013
Hmm... Market for Self Help is oversaturated. I would say if you have a certain degree (like Sociology or Psychology) maybe then you could write a book, or if you do some hard research and submit a thesis, yeah do the book but self help is usually looked down upon.

What tips do you have for others?
>>
>>18307871
Twilight Zone has a lot of episodes, plenty of which are mind fucky
>>
>>18308020
>What tips do you have for others?

Hmm... I guess:
1. If you get cheesy advice, still take it into consideration, because you never know, it might work. If you find someone that is willing to take the time to offer advice on something they seem to actually understand, don't take them for granted
2. Stop paying attention to what everyone else is doing. Pay attention to how your relationships are effecting you. Toxic people are contagious
3.Learn to appreciate time for contemplation or meditation, because you won't always have the option to think things over. Your mind is a temple and a fortress, spend time cultivating it so that when the time comes to act, you already know your course of action.

Also, I have some books I'd recommend: Men are from Mars Women are from Venus, Musashi's Five Rings of Business and Finance, and The 48 Laws of Power. They really started to open my mind regarding certain topics.
>>
>>18308036

I appreciate this post. I'm severely depressed and desperately want to do something about it
>>
>>18308049
Well, I'm glad that I can help. I was depressed too. I would say that I was gradually becoming depressed over 8 years or so. I wasn't full-blown "I'mma Sudoku myself" mode, but I was definitely down in the dumps, and not appreciating life.

I highly suggest you just try to do stuff you don't normally do, go outside for a bit, force yourself to stop comparing yourself to everyone else, and find a book on a topic you like.

There's this book called "Cool, Calm, Collected" that tells you how to become the sort've person that rolls with the punches and let shit slide right off your back. I would recommend that, too.
>>
>>18308055

>"Sudoku myself" mode

hehe you're funny. I'm glad you were able to pull yourself out of being down in the dumps. I'm not in such good shape but I'll try to keep your suggestions in mind

>I highly suggest you just try to do stuff you don't normally do, go outside for a bit, force yourself to stop comparing yourself to everyone else, and find a book on a topic you like. here's this book called "Cool, Calm, Collected"

Thanks anon
>>
>>18307981
yea the other day i was talking to this girl i like and i changed up the conversation abit and asked her about her future, she said she had no hobbies and doesn't like anything specific and just wants a job that pays well, i was a bit disappointed but shes still a super nice girl and shes smart but no passion is sad.
>>
>>18307988
no problem its why i shared, its great
>>
talk to ppl and engage in social activities related to your hobby

reading is great for the soul but youll need a bit more, a meaningless conversation isnt bad per se
>>
>>18307855
Get gf. Easy.
>>18293702
>>
Same boat, I have no social media, no smartphone, love to read, love to write and translate. Sure I fuck around too much on the internet but if I'm not using a computer I'm watching people or talking to them.

Yeah many people are glued to their phones, but not everyone is. The people who aren't will be that much more thankful to talk to someone who gives them their undivided attention. Undivided attention and interest in their person and life is never going to go out of style.

Just make it your selling point and find like-minded people. Join a reading circle.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.