[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how bad is it for a dog to live with no eyes? not just blind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1399965013206.gif (798KB, 480x288px) Image search: [Google]
1399965013206.gif
798KB, 480x288px
how bad is it for a dog to live with no eyes? not just blind but no eyes at all.

shes only 4 years old, still acts like a puppy so energetic, not like my older dogs that went mostly blind but could still see shapes and spent most of the day relaxing.

is it considered bad to put her down because of it? i feel so sad thinking of this lively energetic pup not able to see.
>>
>>18306148
I would put it down. But it is not my dog.
>>
>>18306188

99% of the repsonses in other threads tell me im bad for that thought, but it feels nice just to know someone else has the same mindset.

i keep reading how they often get depressed after losing two eyes, and she has such a hard time having fun as it is, interaction is her only joy in life and i work so much

do you have any dogs or pets at all?
>>
Was she born with no eyes? Did she lose them? Is she in pain? It might make you sad or uncomfortable to see it, but if she's healthy and happy and pain-free, there's absolutely no reason for her to be put down other than to make yourself feel better.
>>
You could experiment with dog brail, scent markers to aide with moving through its space.
Otherwise... Well I'm not much of a dog person in the first place.
>>
>>18306200

she hasnt lost them yet. she has a hole in one eye and the doc wants to remove it but he wants me to go to another doc first because her other eye shows similar early symptoms and he fears we might have to remove both of her eyes.
>>
>>18306200
>>18306210

i suppose my issue is thinking of whether or not to put her down if they say she needs to lose both eyes so she doesn't have to go through the pain and suffering of that.
>>
>>18306194
I had cat. After 11 years of being awesome pet, it developed nasty wound on its jaw. Took it to pet, he told me it is sign of its kidneys dieing (of old age) or that it could be something else treatable. The cat was in mild pain, refused to eat and was showing symptoms of losing weigth.

So the decision was sad for me, but refused to keep my cat alive even though it was slowly but surely dieing.

Seriously if your dog will be blind, i cant imagine its daily life. It might be terrified, sad. So that is my opinion. It is not like you will teach your dog to surft internet with text to speech.

One eye is fine i guess. But totally blind for a dog must be suffering. In nature such dog would die fast.
>>
>>18306221

thats what im worried about. i keep reading about the depression and she is very interactive, if im not sitting there playing with her she is just sitting alone in the corner being sad, she doesn't understand how to use those toys made for dogs by themselves.

other people have blind dogs and they tend to enjoy life but most of those people have families, kids, and their dogs can still see shapes and such, she would have both of them removed.

im so scared. im worried i will put her through all the suffering of losing her two eyes and she will just suffer and be sad unless i quit my job and stay with her all day.
>>
Would you like to be killed for having no eyes?

Do people with no eyes usually ask to be killed?
>>
>>18306389

some do, others are able to adapt because they are able to find ways to enjoy life without their eyes. but a dog doesn't have as many options. they cant listen to stories or learn to read, and they are at the mercy of humans who arent willing to adopt her. idk.
>>
Hey, OP. It's very late where I live and I'm not able to spend as much time on this reply as I'd really like, so I'm going to give you the Sparknotes and then link an extremely relevant article. I'm not a vet, but I've owned several dogs with health problems (they meant the world to me) and spent a lot of time volunteering at shelters. I have a pretty good idea of what health conditions will make a dog miserable and what won't, & I have backup from real professionals on this.

I'm not against euthanasia. At all. It's a choice I've made and although it was brutally sad, it doesn't haunt me at all, b/c sometimes it's the only humane choice. This isn't one of those cases, because sight isn't the primary sense for dogs the way it is for people. Smell is. Dogs can function perfectly well without sight, maybe not in the wild, but certainly in a household. The fact that it's an energetic puppy makes this easier, not harder, honestly. Younger dogs have an easier time adapting.

The truth is dogs don't see that well to begin with. Sometimes dog owners have no idea their pet is nearly blind until they're told by a vet. This happens a LOT. people who say blind dogs generally are depressed are talking nonsense. Blind dogs can of course be depressed, but it's not usually BECAUSE they're blind.

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/in-the-land-of-the-blind-animal-neither-the-one-nor-two-eyed-pet-is-king

This is an article about this exact thing. Literally your exact issue, down to the minutiae about the removal of the eyes. You should read the entire thing, but this quote is particularly relevant.

>Owners of animals that suddenly go blind often initially have trouble imagining their pet leading a good life. But they soon discover that blindness does not pose an insurmountable challenge. Blind animals generally memorize the layout of their dwellings, and rarely run into walls or furniture unless the house is rearranged.
>>
(and you can rearrange or move, by the way, just don't do it allll the fucking time)

Another article, it's a little bit "precious" but still informative:

https://www.petfinder.com/pet-adoption/dog-adoption/myths-and-facts-about-blind-dogs/

Sorry this reply is scattered, I really wish I had time to write more. I promise you, though, I'm not an anti-euthanasia nut, at all, and neither is the vet who wrote that first article. I fully support euthanasia when it means ending an animal's suffering, but your dog is not going to be suffering, it will be fully capable of living a happy life, and the extra work on your part will be quite reasonable, you will not have to completely restructure your life and dedicate all your free time to managing a disabled animal.

Humans are not dogs. YOU would be miserable if you lost your sight. Your dog probably will not be.

I strongly recommend you not do it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.