[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self Inflicted Scars- First Thoughts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: 28284R893JDK93J0SJ.jpg (117KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
28284R893JDK93J0SJ.jpg
117KB, 1440x1080px
I'm interested in finding out what people's immediate thoughts are when they see self inflicted scars on a person's body.

Whether it's pity, sympathy, disgust or hate.

I have a few scars that need makeup applied every single day because I'm too afraid of looking mentally unstable because of a.. well, mentally unstable, phase a few years ago.

I'm really tired with the routine though and worrying whether they show.

So how exactly am I going to be perceived in the public eye?
>>
>>18301619
I think "Stay Away" because I hate drama and people who attract it. That may be what you are going for with such edginess, though.
>>
>>18301622
>>18301622
Thanks for the response, that's generally what I assumed. Do you think I'd be better off sticking to masking it then or would that look even worse if it became visible randomly?
>>
>>18301631
It depends what you are going for. If you want to be left alone then leave it visible. If you want to be social, get a job, and be "normal" by current standards then try to destroy any semblance of your former issues. Maybe see if you can have cosmetic surgery
>>
>>18301619
If they're trying to hide them, I feel sympathy for them. They might be going through some tough shit.
If they're showing them off, though, I become disgusted, since I feel like they're the type of people >>18301622 mentioned, and they are the people who cause the first type of people to be taken less seriously.
>>
My first thought is, "Fuck off," honestly. I hate to see people making bad decisions, especially for attention. I mean, it's not bad in all circumstances, but most of the time I would call that counter-productive, attention-seeking behavior and piss off.
>>
>>18301619
if they are old: i don't care, if fresh: i try to stay away from them
>>
>>18301619
I used to cut my self for several years when I was younger,
90% of them are on my hips so that even a bikini can cover most of them.
So when i see people with visible scars I feel a lot of sympathy for them and the stigma they must feel,
but also seeing it makes me feel like they are kindred soul so I gravitate towards them even if I/we don't talk about it, so they dont know i dealt with it too.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't hide them if you dont want to, There are people that understand
>>
A friend of mine has some scars. What I feel when I see them isn't even pity, it just makes me feel sad that he got to a point where he felt like that was the only way he could cope with everything.
>>
>>18301733
Pain can be addicting and stress relieving. So no its not always done for addiction. Individuals from tightly controlled childhoods or punishment heavy parenting can get addicted to negative feedback for the sake of relieving emotions.

No they are not all for "attention seeking"; this is a myopic view of mindsets.
>>
>>18301785
>So no its not always done for addiction

Correction - not always done for attention.
>>
>>18301619
When I saw my friend's scars in high school I cried. Probably the not the best reaction but I felt sad and scared for her and scared because I didn't know what I could do to help.

>>18301631
I think if you mask it that's better. I don't think this but people will judge you and say you're doing it for attention if you don't try to hide it.
>>
>>18301619
Normies are judgemental fucking assholes; no matter what you are going to encounter someone who doesn't understand. You will get mixed reactions.

This would be a trade off because you will still come across someone with overwhelmingly negative views towards it. I can understand if you are tired of having to hide what you did but you need to decide whether you can stand the occasional idiot.

That said; overall society looks negatively upon those who need help. The politer ones may not say anything out of respect and yet judge you all the same.
>>
>>18301622
I mean it's an elephant in the room. I'd be taking a few disturbed glares at it but I wouldn't think much else of it. I'd still respect the person.

Now if they went on talking about it, I'd probably be a little irritated. I don't give a shit to know about it unless if I'm dating or interested in dating the girl.

I look at it as, self harm is weak. It's a weak-minded thing to do. But everyone gets weak from time to time, so as long as they're done with it, I don't care.

t. Guy with a girl that has self harmed and has thought about it again recently. Getting rid of the shit she's used to harm herself next time I'm in town. I'm not even into her anymore (That breakup will be hard)
So answer for answer, if I can ask someone who's experienced this firsthand. Right around the time that I realized she's not the one for me, her parents are being shitty to her, and have ridiculed her regularly, she doesn't feel happy at home. She pretty much told me I'm the only good thing in her life. I'm breaking up with her for reasons other than the self harm. So is it better to wait until her life gets better to break up with her?
>>
for some reason as a former self harmer myself my immediate reaction is disgust. i know it's wrong but i guess it's just my way to cope with others going through the same thing.
>>
Since I used to cut when I was a teen I back the fuck away because I know hard and long it takes to get out of that mindset.
>>
>>18301619
NO YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO IT LENGTHWISE YOU IDIOT
>>
>>18301909
This guy gets it
>>
As someone who used to self harm a few years back i sympathize. I doubt that most people feel the same though. I have some on my arms that I've gotten tats on to try amd draw attention away from. However i have dozens of scars on my torso from when i tried to hide it because of " lel doing it for attention" bullshit. Because of this i would never take my shirt off, even in the summer. Recently though I've stopped caring about the opinions of other people, if they are repulsed by them or what have you, then fuck those people. They probably aren't the kind of people you want in your life anyways. Everyone goes through shit in their lives, this unfortunately, was how i chose to cope. I've met some really cool people over the years that helped me to love myself and not be ashamed of them, so i will pass on that advice to you.

TL;DR: Learn to love yourself. Fuck the haters
>>
I get really curious, but never ask. Then I consider cutting myself to create a really wet pocket pussy on the go.........?
>>
>>18301619
I thought this was a picture of a carrot.
>>
>>18302016
Both can fit in my ass... is there really any difference
>>
>>18302020
Hahaha best reply ever.
>>
>>18302003

this.

Basically do it for yourself and if you can stand the assholes who WILL judge.
>>
I cut myself once when I was drunk and depressed over a breakup. Gotta wear long sleeves now. It's a hassle. I did end up going to counselling after that though and it has helped.
>>
>>18302003
>do retarded thing
>call other people haters
every time lol
let me guess, you vape and drive a slammed subaru
>>
>>18301619
My first thoughts are MENTAL ILLNESSES.
>>
I wanted to help her stop cutting, but she said I didn't understand, and rightfully. I really loved her, so it made me feel powerless and shitty that I couldn't do anything for her. You're hurting the people who love you more than you're hurting yourself.
>>
If i saw you with cuts in the arms i'd feel compassion for you, and maybe i walk away to don't disturb you. I'd think that you have had a bad life and need space and respect.
>>
i would generally try to avoid self harmers for the same reason I avoid trannies and most women: mental illness/hyper emotional people are annoying.
>>
>>18301619
I'm personally sympathetic because I've been in a dark place like that before, but I'm not the majority of people.
>>
>>18301619
honestly, no one really cares if they have seen a lot of images of it online, its kinda like past rare so no one cares.
>>
>>18301619
I had a coworker whos arms were absolutely full of self inflicted scars. She tried to hide them with excessive amounts of wrist jewellery or other sort of decorative bands.

My first instinct was to stay the hell away from her, clearly not a person worth knowing. But she was one of those people, who wouldnt shut up even if I was on the phone with a customer. Making workshifts with her a pain in the ass.
And if I told her to shut up, it was clearly the worst crime anyone had ever done to her.
Managers, supervisors, all coworkers immediately were made aware of the "verbal abuse" I inflicted on her.
It was the case even if I completely ignored her.

Sometimes she had new scars, and every time she was "nipped by her dog" or dropped a knife
Bitch, how the fuck do you drop a knife on your elbow?!

And this bitch has several children.
Conflicted about if I should have contacted child services about self harming mother.
>>
>>18301619
It shows the person is unstable and likely to have BPD. Crazy people are like poison, they drag others down with them, so I stay away. I've had my fair share of mental problems myself and am still not content with my development, so I avoid people as well, it wouldn't be fair to cause others trouble.
>>
>>18301631
Keep masking it.

If it becomes visible randomly, at least it will show that you aren't some attention whore, and just had a shitty phase in your past.

If they can clearly see there aren't any fresh scars, it'll also show that its your past, and not your present. Another up side.

But yeah, these scars are basically warning signs. Keep them to yourself. If you start dating someone, they'll find out sooner or later, so you'll have to tell them. Just make sure they understand that its in the past, and whatever you do, be honest about it. You don't need to explain anything, but an honest explanation will go a long way to ease the warning bells going off in the persons head.
>>
>>18301619
keep masking. Wear long sleeves, etc. Treat it like a particularly cringe-worthy tattoo.

I try not to judge and don't really see cutting as any different than picking your lips or getting a shitload of tattoos, but it's probably something you should keep from most people.
>>
>>18301619
I wouldn'tthink anything. I would do fun of it if I know you enough or I would try to get closer to you to find out why
>>
I'd think that you at least though you went through some shit, but just didn't know how to actually cope with it so you were stupid and cut yourself to get as much attention as possible while trying to deny that's what you're doing.

tldr; you're weak and not worth my time.
>>
Depends on whether they look fresh or older.
If they're old and faded - I've seen it on lots of people, and wouldn't really think much of it. Granted, I work at a hospital, so I'm probably more exposed to it than most people.
If they're fresh, my immediate reaction would be worry, but I most likely would stay away due to not wanting to get involved with issues.
>>
My reaction would be no reaction, I always saw cutting as a very pointless thing, so never did it out of logic, but at the same time when I was depressed to hell it was really fucking hard because no one knew and I never called for attention and thus no one tried to help, it was hard, really fucking hard so..sympathy?
>>
>>18301619
Yeah people are gonna judge you harshly for it. If you're worried about bad reactions, keep them concealed.
I'm sympathetic because I do it too sometimes.
But all it shows is maladaptiveness and general mental inability to deal with some problems (I know exactly because I did it too). People don't want to deal with your shit, and showed scars is basically placing a burden on them. They're just gonna archive you as batshit crazy and move on.
>>
Since I saw someone like you last week who my friend has started seeing and was going to go on a date with, the first thing I thought when I saw her arms were:

"Oh jeez, he has no idea what he is getting into."

I just imagine drama, emotional distress and effort, mixed with disgust. I am personally put off by those sort of things.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.