[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Philosophy talks

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 2.jpg (275KB, 1252x1252px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
275KB, 1252x1252px
I'm looking to listen to some talks, podcasts or lectures on philosophy, particularly Eastern philosophy or buddhism. I'm also interested in hearing some stuff from Alan Watts after hearing a little by him.
If anyone can recommend some to me or link me to where to find them, that would be much appreciated.
>>
>>18301152
If your not smart enough or dedicated enough to actually read the material and need some sort of podcast to learn about it, then there is no point in even trying to learn about it, since you won't likely understand it
>>
>>18301160
That's the most ignorant thing I've read today, congratulations.
>>
>>18301160
>your
>>
>>18301152
>"Podcast Addict" android app
>Most popular audio
>Number 22
>philosophy 247
Thats the best I could do. Good luck on your journey.
>>
>>18301163
Get over it you faggot. We all know how this is going to end. OP isn't smart enough or is too lazy to read the material, gets some sort of half assed interpretation of it, and spreads these interpretations wrongly and badly, and makes other people stupider by extension. I bet if Marx was around he would be the kind of guy to listen to podcasts instead of reading
>>
File: oneuclid.png (122KB, 712x318px) Image search: [Google]
oneuclid.png
122KB, 712x318px
>>18301152

Allow me please to offer you some ''harmless'' words that perhaps you already came across, or somebody else already told them to you, or perhaps you never thought about it before.

When it comes to doing be, for example, the construction of a house, one might wish to explore the land on which it will be situated. One would prefer it to be firm and even and it must be able to sustain the construction, else we would see it go deep with the time.

Another case is when we wish to plant something, we too are careful in choosing the soil, we prepare it, we seek for it to be in a certain optimal condition for it to give us what we want.

Be it houses or plants, same case with anything else. Same case with learning.

Before you decide to learn anything explore the constitution of your soul and examine if you are building on even or uneven ground. See what fruits it might bring in you. Explore your own composition and you will find that you are doing what philosophy is intended to (the exploration of the composition / the search for the pure idea behind everything)

And if you see you might not be on the best place, reconsider your stance.

A particular case with learning philosophy is that it enhances who you are. If you are envious and egotistical, you will seek for philosophy in order to make you ''worth'' more than others. If you are an asshole, if you are inaccessible, you will use philosophy as a weapon and will try to ''argue and debate'' with others to prove them at all cost that you have the higher virtues and that you hold the truth.

Beware of this and dont go seeking into these things for something to be ''gained''.

But if thats not your case and you are willing to read something good, look into Plato. The Republic is a good first book.
>>
>>18301212
You're very hung up on the word podcast when I added it in as an afterthought. I'm more interested in talks, and I want them for when I'm not reading or while in doing other things. I'm not so much of a brainlet that I can't focus on 2+ things at once.
>>
>>18301235
Regardless, any podcast is going to be an interpretation of the actual work. You have the original, and yet you go with the interpretation out of sheer laziness or stupidity. I honestly don't believe your not a brainlet if you can't see this. Your most likely some brainlet that is convinced they are smart because they are too stupid to fully understand how stupid they are
>>
>>18301235

As you can see, you've came across one of those individuals I described to you in my post above.

It's best not to make assumptions about anything, nor about him.

Just let it pass.
>>
>>18301244
Yeah, nobody read your autistic, multi paragraph tirade above. Your the kind of retard I'm talking about
>>
>>18301160
Thats a little unfair... And ridiculous. You may or may not be intelligent, but youre most certainly self absorbed. And you probably haven't learned a single thing youve read in philosophy because the very general "dont be a dickass" lesson of all philosophy was lost on you.

Finally, one of Alan Watts greatest skills was that he was an amazing Orator. You cannot possibly experience him without actually listening to/watching his Just pick a video and let it go and youll hear for hours from the autoplay.

"You dont read so you dont get things" is probably one of the stupidest things ive heard in a long time.

You probably heard shorter stuff like dream of life or the real you. If you havent check those out. Very quick. I always listen to them when im about to listen to longer stuff because its a great primer.

>>18301152

Anyway, OP. Hes literally all over youtube.
>>
>>18301279
You happen to be a proven retard. What you did was agree with this Watts idiot, not because he had a compelling argument, but because he was a good orator. His oration probably biased your viewed of his argument. Proof again that if your not willing to read, your most likely below average IQ
>>
>>18301279
Jesus i mixed some paragraphs somehow..

>just pick a video and itll go on autoplay
And
>youve probably heard shorter stuff(paragraph)

Meant for OP.

>you cant possibly listen to him without listening/watching his work.
>"you dont read..."

The message for the fedora ended there.
>>
>>18301290
>your your your your your your

You have gone way passed an occasional typo. You're trying to talk down on illiterate people yet you have no grasp of the first graders greatest challenge. The simple contraction.

Anyway. Theres a very high correlation between intelligence and heavy drinking so I guess ill go around proclaiming what a genious I am because im an alcoholic.

Because a perception or even science of what makes people smart or dumb applies to absolutely everyone all the time. Right? To the point you get to be the ultimate judge of the lives of other people you don't know?
>>
>>18301307
Typical unintelligent white knight fedora tipper right here. You think correcting grammar somehow makes you smart. If you were able to understand my sentence, then it doesn't matter the way I typed it. If I tpye a snetecne lkie tihs and you can unerdsatnd it, then that's all that matters. I feel really sorry that people like you were born so stupid. I'll pray for you
>>
Come on my dude, this could've been a good philosophy thread.

:/
>>
>>18301152
OP: Download some of the Great Courses/Teaching Company series, they're quite good. If that doesn't what your appetite, then nothing will.
>>
>>18301152

Hey, I had a Buddhist phase for a while, too lol I like Gil Frosdal, I believe he has some experience in Zen and Theravada Buddhism. Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield have some good meditation podcasts if you want to try that out for yourself. Stephen Bachelor might be another good one, though I haven't read/listened to any of his stuff. I also like Mingyur Rinpoche's (Tibetan Buddhism) videos on youtube. Audiodharma, sf zen center, berkeley zen center have podcasts on their websites for free.

Dunno where you live but I recommend going to a temple or connecting with a teacher (be it priest, monk, nun, etc). I found Buddhism to be really esoteric than Abrahamic Religions so it helps a lot to connect with a teacher.
>>
If you want some Eastern but not too far philosophy, search for Rumi, a Persian poet. Just pray that you'll find a good translation.
You can also search for Sufis and tassawuf, they have some rad stuff.
>>
>>18301322
this :(
>>
>>18302164

Perhaps we could discuss philosophy ourselves anon.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.